• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
Congrats to the BBC 14As holding on against the previously undefeated GT team - it is a pity that the game was overshadowed by the deplorable behavior of the Gregory Terrace spectators and parents . Continual harassment of the referee, abusing and cajoling her, and calling the BBC boys , amongst other things, "spearchuckers", completely spoiled the enjoyment of the game for all around. Given an example like that, it shouldn't have been a surprise to hear some of the students use the same term as the BBC First XV ran on to the field - they should hang their heads in shame !
The refereeing was deplorable. I have never before seen such terrible refereeing. The ref was clearly not in control of the game and did not seem to know the rules at all. To give you a clear example BBC were allowed to tap and run the ball twice before then calling to take the points. Having said that, you are right in saying it is never ok to abuse the ref.
Edit: Also did not hear this harrassment of the BBC boys, what is a spearchucker?

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
Well done to Gregory Terrace First XV today - they out-enthused, out-hustled and out-played BBC in all departments, and looked as though they wanted it so much more.
A good day all round with the spoils shared - BBC in the 14As, 15As, 16As and Seconds, GT in the Firsts and 13s.
Congrats to the BBC 14As holding on against the previously undefeated GT team - it is a pity that the game was overshadowed by the deplorable behavior of the Gregory Terrace spectators and parents . Continual harassment of the referee, abusing and cajoling her, and calling the BBC boys , amongst other things, "spearchuckers", completely spoiled the enjoyment of the game for all around. Given an example like that, it shouldn't have been a surprise to hear some of the students use the same term as the BBC First XV ran on to the field - they should hang their heads in shame !

Some of the comments from the GT parents on the sideline in the 1sts and 2nds was also quite abusive.
Pity they cant just enjoy the quality of the rugby rather than try to referee from their standpoint. Amazingly most of them wouldnt know a rule from a law!

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
Well done to Gregory Terrace First XV today - they out-enthused, out-hustled and out-played BBC in all departments, and looked as though they wanted it so much more.
A good day all round with the spoils shared - BBC in the 14As, 15As, 16As and Seconds, GT in the Firsts and 13s.
Never would condone either ref abuse or the said namecalling which I didnt hear. But Vegas could you explain the decisions, twice, when BBC awarded a penalty a quick tap taken on both occasions the player ran off then the captain called a shot at goal, the running player was called back and a shot at goal taken which won the game. That appeared to be perhaps two of the worst decisions I have ever seen on a rugby field.

It cuts both ways as the abuse that the 14B ref had to endure from a vocal BBC group was also IMO totally unacceptable.
That said well done to BBC after loosing at least 70 nil last year to find the players to get a win.
Happy to hear an explanation of that reffing decision if there is one.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
The refereeing was deplorable. I have never before seen such terrible refereeing. The ref was clearly not in control of the game and did not seem to know the rules at all. To give you a clear example BBC were allowed to tap and run the ball twice before then calling to take the points. Having said that, you are right in saying it is never ok to abuse the ref.
Edit: Also did not hear this harrassment of the BBC boys, what is a spearchucker?

There are no rules only laws in rugby!
Agree some of the refereeing was questionable (especially the 2nds) but how many sideline experts know the laws and have ever had to interpret them in a game?
Why not enjoy the game and support good play from all sides

mr pls

Allen Oxlade (6)

The GT 16A's got up against BBC mate

Weeks tie

Frank Row (1)
There are no rules only laws in rugby!
Agree some of the refereeing was questionable (especially the 2nds) but how many sideline experts know the laws and have ever had to interpret them in a game?
Why not enjoy the game and support good play from all sides

The lack of the knowledge of the side line supporters and coaching staff was highlighted when in the U14 GT v BBC A game a coach called double movement. There is no double movement in rugby.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Never would condone either ref abuse or the said namecalling which I didnt hear. But Vegas could you explain the decisions, twice, when BBC awarded a penalty a quick tap taken on both occasions the player ran off then the captain called a shot at goal, the running player was called back and a shot at goal taken which won the game. That appeared to be perhaps two of the worst decisions I have ever seen on a rugby field.

It cuts both ways as the abuse that the 14B ref had to endure from a vocal BBC group was also IMO totally unacceptable.
That said well done to BBC after loosing at least 70 nil last year to find the players to get a win.
Happy to hear an explanation of that reffing decision if there is one.

Guildford - I am sorry, but nothing like that "cuts both ways " - yes, some of the decisions were poor, both ways I thought incidentally, but you cant vindicate behaviour because it was a square up for something that happened in another game. Nor can you cast aspersions on a female referee because of the decisions she was making - which I am sure were well intended and to the best of her ability.
Referees have always, and will continue , to make errors - they are, unfortunately human, and sometimes do influence an outcome.
What is not acceptable, no mater any circumstance, is the bullshit that went on at Tennyson today - racially vilifying 14 year old boys, and hurling abuse at the referee, particularly a female one with some of the comments thrown. As I said earlier - anyone involved in this, or who stood bye and let it go one, or tries to vindicate it in any way Guildford - hang your heads in shame !

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Left the Churchie match at half time 0-17 but heard from a mate it ended in a draw. Must have been a magnificent second half from ACGS cause they were really outplayed in the first 35 mins. Mitch Third was a class above Mason and the TSS forwards really dominated across all set pieces.

Will be interested to read the match reviews to come.

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
Guildford - I am sorry, but nothing like that "cuts both ways " - yes, some of the decisions were poor, both ways I thought incidentally, but you cant vindicate behaviour because it was a square up for something that happened in another game. Nor can you cast aspersions on a female referee because of the decisions she was making - which I am sure were well intended and to the best of her ability.
Referees have always, and will continue , to make errors - they are, unfortunately human, and sometimes do influence an outcome.
What is not acceptable, no mater any circumstance, is the bullshit that went on at Tennyson today - racially vilifying 14 year old boys, and hurling abuse at the referee, particularly a female one with some of the comments thrown. As I said earlier - anyone involved in this, or who stood bye and let it go one, or tries to vindicate it in any way Guildford - hang your heads in shame !

Vegas as i said agree that sort of behaviour is deplorable and unacceptable.
and not vindicating it in any way . Im simply pointing out that there was totally unacceptable abuse of the ref in the previous game from an entire pack of BBC parents and I did not mention that the ref was female, you have bought that up, you must think it is somehow relevant, I am only commenting and asking you for an explanation of two bizarre decisions that altered the way the match went.

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)

There was no racial abuse of the BBC team, where are you getting this from?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
If the yellow card was harsh then the penalty try given BBC was even more so.

Actually I thought both were the correct call. Whoever the second row that got binned was so blatantly offside and cost Terrace a try, and GT clearly pulled down BBC's maul. Quality refereeing in both instances.

I think you'd find a lot of people criticise the referees - the coaching staff of the 14C's were quite bad in their treatment of the ref today. It's all just part of the game, however racism flows both ways - I heard reports of BBC boys calling a Terrace student an 'n*****' in a 13's game.

In regards to the 1st XV - Terrace were definitely a better team. Play with an excellent structure this year and I haven't seen a better half than Angus Fowler all year. Alex Horan is an excellent facilitator, and Dom Sester has been the surprise package of the season all year in the second row. Fully expect this team to have a red-hot crack at Nudgee next week.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
The Churchie tie was one of the most extraordinary comebacks as TSS dominated virtually every facet of play, possession and territory and had a big HT lead. Churchie showed massive character in the final 20 mins and somehow, amazingly, found a way to tie the game. Nucifora made the clutch conversion at the death to seal the tie.

TSS was markedly physically bigger in most positions, and possessed excellent skills, intensity and accuracy of defence, and structured attack patterns. A side that knows how to dominate a game.

Halftime score TSS 19 ACGS 0

The turning pt was when TSS #1 Guttenbeill came off injured.

Good to see Douglas McMillan make comeback today.

Tries to Fox, Dempsey, Perese. Unsure who scored last try.

Tanuvasa yellow carded in first half.

TSS try scorers were: Guttenbiel, Clifton, Papworth and Finnes.

TSS tried to shut down game too early, when leading 24 - 0.

All credit to Churchie, great comeback.

TSS are vulnerable without Australian rep #1 Guttenbiel.

Richie Asiata played a full game in Seconds and ran on for Firsts in second half.

One rampaging run, group of Churchie supporters beside me; calling out "go Richie"

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
There was no racial abuse of the BBC team, where are you getting this from?

Red Black - it came from the group of parents I was standing behind, who told me to f*** off when I suggested they pull their heads in. It then came from a group of boys as the firsts ran on.
Guildford - whoever the supporters were abusing any ref, BBC, GT or vagrants who wandered up from the creek - no matter who they are, they need to pull their heads in - you are right, it is unacceptable. Apologies for not being clearer.
Similarly, whatever sex, race or religion the referee is should equally not matter - but it was unfortunately the focus point of some tasteless comments from the side of the field today.

guildford

Peter Burge (5)
Red Black - it came from the group of parents I was standing behind, who told me to f*** off when I suggested they pull their heads in. It then came from a group of boys as the firsts ran on.
Guildford - whoever the supporters were abusing any ref, BBC, GT or vagrants who wandered up from the creek - no matter who they are, they need to pull their heads in - you are right, it is unacceptable. Apologies for not being clearer.
Similarly, whatever sex, race or religion the referee is should equally not matter - but it was unfortunately the focus point of some tasteless comments from the side of the field today.

Thanks Vegas we totally are in agreement but can you shed any light at all on those quick tap decisions, Im genuinely interested in that call, twice?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Actually I thought both were the correct call. Whoever the second row that got binned was so blatantly offside and cost Terrace a try, and GT clearly pulled down BBC's maul. Quality refereeing in both instances.

I think you'd find a lot of people criticise the referees - the coaching staff of the 14C's were quite bad in their treatment of the ref today. It's all just part of the game, however racism flows both ways - I heard reports of BBC boys calling a Terrace student an 'n*****' in a 13's game.

In regards to the 1st XV - Terrace were definitely a better team. Play with an excellent structure this year and I haven't seen a better half than Angus Fowler all year. Alex Horan is an excellent facilitator, and Dom Sester has been the surprise package of the season all year in the second row. Fully expect this team to have a red-hot crack at Nudgee next week.

Mate I was the ref in that 14C game and the coaching staff were full of it

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Enough talk about questionable reffering and poor behaviour on the side line gents. Ends here

I watched the BBC vs GT hame today and was impressed by GT's work in the forwards. In particular, Mcnamee and Wilson, who were the the workhorses of the team. BBC's Gunter was particularly impresive, constantally ripping balls and causing havoc in the breakdowns. How he isn't a starting forward astound me! BBC's Bowen had an absolute shocker in all aspects of the game, a credit to outside backs Larosa and Te Rupe, who constantly put pressure on his usually slick game. BBC will be sweating on the result of *12, Russel, who appeared to go off halfway through the 2nd half. (with what looked like an ankle injury?) He was easily there best back, regularly made line breaks and creating half chances.

The old GT vs NC at Ross oval should be a cracker!

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks Vegas we totally are in agreement but can you shed any light at all on those quick tap decisions, Im genuinely interested in that call, twice?
For cying out loud Guildford - I have already said there were bad decisions, and those 2 were possibly the worst - I don't think anyone can shed light on them, but that is not what I am writing about.
No matter how poor the decision, nor how fervent the supporter, it was sad to see the behavior, by the sound of it from both sides, at Tennyson today.

Status
Not open for further replies.