• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

deansy

Bob McCowan (2)
Lets cease the talk on spear chuckers if that was said parents need to pull the heads in. It's just a game!! why don't we applaud some of the great 1st XV rugby schools are playing good open rugby exciting to watch.
I would like to add that mates that have been together since yr 5 and 8 in the gt team

deansy

Bob McCowan (2)
Playing as a team and for each other may teach other schools that talented individuals are not the be all and end all to win premierships.

OfInterest

Frank Row (1)
16As - Nudgee 60 BSHS 7. Nudgee Locks and Loose Forwards impressive for most of the game. Solid efforts in the tackle and ruck contests resulted in fast Nudgee ball for large parts of the game. Nudgee 10 controlled the tempo and movement of the game, putting the 12 and the backrow into space and getting over the advantage line consistently. BSHS defence seemed uncommitted and uncertain 5 minutes into second half and were unable to stop the flow of points. When BSHS did see the ball, Nudgee defence was energetic and hard, worrying BSHS into errors. Less handling errors by the Nudgee outside backs and more accurate goal kicking in very windy conditions and this scoreline could have been a lot worse for State High. 10, 12, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 for Nudgee were all noteworthy.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Lets cease the talk on spear chuckers if that was said parents need to pull the heads in. It's just a game!! why don't we applaud some of the great 1st XV rugby schools are playing good open rugby exciting to watch.
I would like to add that mates that have been together since yr 5 and 8 in the gt team

Agree Deansy - if similar nonsense happens again, hopefully the other people around the little-minded big mouths have the courage and the support to shut the fools down.
You touched on the real positive for me out of yesterday's game at Tennyson - how a team of boys who have a real affinity and investment in their school, and a commitment to each other, can beat a tem of 'stars' who don't benefit from the same long term association.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Yes, but none of those schools are St Joseph's Gregory Terrace. There is something special when GT play NC. GT haven't won at Ross since 1981 and IMO that makes them the underdogs.

Anybody who says Terrace aren't the underdogs are kidding themselves. Nudgee have the experience, players rar rar rar.

Terrace are still considered a weak rugby school
I think that's harsh. Two bad seasons does not a weak rugby school make. Historically Terrace and Nudgee lead the way in the comp, Terrace only went downhill when the (gasp) scholarship craze came in. Now that Terrace has joined in they're right back up there.

A lot has been said about the Firsts game and the only thing to add would be the try that Partridge scored on the wing after beautiful draw and pass from Tu-Repe.
Yeah that was a fantastic try. Nice to see Te-Rupe trust his outside man. A lot of the time during the match he went himself (resorting to an awful chip and chase) rather than passing the ball.

Vegas

Chris McKivat (8)
Judging by the general gist of your post I'd suggest either the sample size is very small or you forgot to remove the red & black glasses prior to posting.
Nudgee will be the real test and if they come out on top then I will take my hat off to them and the improvement their rugby program has made in the last few years
Until then lets settle down.

Light - again I think you need to "settle down". This "Holier than Thou" attitude in your posts doesn't read very well. Who are you judge when a school is making progress or otherwise ?
Take the season and yesterday's games for what they are - a great season thus far, with wins possible from anywhere . Similarly yesterday, Terrace , as they have all season, played great, well structured team rugby, so it is no flash in the pan. This style of rugby was evident across all age groups, from both teams yesterday.
Best you "keep your hat on" - that's if it still fits - Irrespective of whether Terrace win lose or draw against Nudgee, progress has been made .

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
Can I just take a moment to comment on the quality of Mitch Third.

The kid is a huge talent and one of the better schoolboy rugby players I have seen in the last few years. His game is so balanced and well structured and maybe it was assisted by the dominance of the TSS forward pack today but it was not hard to see why the guy is playing Australian Schoolboys. Had my eye on him since he was playing in the 10A's, appears his game has come on in leaps and bounds since then.

Light I swear you have a man-crush on this kid

Black Caviar

Stan Wickham (3)
GT vs BBC Yesterday

Hats off to Terrace. They came into the game looking like they were going to do anything to win. Seriously, Toby Mcnamee is one of the best schoolboys I have ever seen at the breakdown. Just a beast with insane pilfering skills!! The only schoolboy I can remember being as good as him at it is Pocock And Sam Wilson was all over BBC's forwards. Terrace backs were also solid but I think were only allowed to be good by BBC's backs (excluding Nathan Russel) who really didnt display what they are capable of like they did against churchie. Josh Bowyer had a suprisingly bad day with the ball and the boot. Usually he is the College's best player. Horan was on point the whole match, equalling Bowyers kicking game. I think we can expect Bowyer to play awesome next week. BBC sorely missed captain Bronson Tauakipulu no.8 and Tiaan Wilkins no.13 with noone really firing in the forwards other than Dylan lleyland and Luke Peterson. Bronson would have to be one of the best ball runners in the comp and Tiaans size and speed is quite a menacing attacking unit.

Unfortunately for the Toowong lads they need a minor miracle to win this premiership. Terrace or another of Nudgee's upcoming opponents must beat nudgee, Terrace must lose another match (very likely) and BBC have to win all the rest of their games (BGS, IGS, TSS). With the way the competition is going anything is possible.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Terrace competed at the breakdown yesterday in every team like no other school has done this year. They were superbly coached in their ability to disrupt opposition ball, no wonder they produced David Croft and Liam Gill..

I thought the BBC halfback didn't have a great game under pressure and that slowed service down. But the number one thing that was the difference was that BBC played like 15 individuals looking for glory and Terrace played like one team with one goal - win.

Thanks for the positive feedback Dark Shark by the way

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think Light is copping it far too much here. He's trying to get some neutrality in the thread...heaps of gt posters with obvious bias. Play the ball not the player. Should be a cracker next weekend at Ross oval. Biggest gt nc since 04. People easily forget that in 06 gt only lost by 1 and in 08 they only lost by 7 to nc. This idea that terrace has had a weak program is a bit rich. 2011 was undoubtedly gt's worst season ever. I think sometimes the program and coaches cop it when really it's just a bad crop of players for a few years. Now there's some great talent in the terrace 13s and 14s...this season, regardless of terrace's final placing, is quite significant and in my eyes a return to the grand stage that is gps rugby. In terms of the racism etc that has happened at gt bcc over the weekend,,I've witnessed this from terrace parents before,,,unacceptable. There must be some truth behind it.tipping NC 37 def GT 12

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought that 5, 6 and 7 were all very good for terrace.

I think the 5 will end up playing blindside or number 8 in the future as he won't be tall enough to play lock after school, but a bloody good performance moving bodies and making metres on the fringes.

Horan looks like a young bernie larkam. Doing the simple things well and kicking your goals gets you team a long way at this level, and he did that superbly yesterday.

I haven't seen any of the other 7's in the competition play, but in all my years of watching Schoolboy rugby I dont think I've seen a more dominant performance at ruck time than terraces flanker yesterday. Will be pretty surprised if he doesnt kick on to higher honours.

BBC 12 was good, he has a very nice step, and also straightens his hips as he goes to the line which is the trait of a good running player.

Despite all this I think terrace are still underdogs for next weeks clash. Wins at Ross oval are few are far between at the best of times.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Also if you hear racial abuse or ref abuse on the sidelines, instead of making unsubstantiated claims on a forum, maybe write an email to the principal. Schools take this stuff very seriously and would no doubt take action.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
But the number one thing that was the difference was that BBC played like 15 individuals looking for glory and Terrace played like one team with one goal - win.

Thanks for the positive feedback Dark Shark by the way

Pretty much sums up the whole game yesterday. Bowyer (Bowen?) was constantly looking for the miraculous play. No-look flick passes, literally stopping and trying to dance his way around defenders. Unstructured and ugly rugby, from a majority of BBC's backs (excluding Russel who I thought was their second best player after big Benny Gunter)

On a sidenote- Despite BBC's halfback poor passing at times, I thought he played a particularly good game. He made at least 3,4 line breaks from simply evading pillar-and-post defenders.It was evident that the little man certainly had a lot of ticker in him!

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
Round 5 results:

First XV: ACGS 24 v TSS 24; GT35 d BBC 22; IGS 26 d BGS 22; NC55 d BSHS 0

2nd XV: TSS 35 d ACGS 10; BBC 15 d GT 10;IGS28 d BGS10;NC 67 d BSHS 5

16A: TSS 31 d ACGS 15; GT 31 d BBC 5; BGS 40 d IGS 7; NC 60 d BSHS 7

15A: ACGS 12 d TSS 5; BBC 19 d GT 14; IGS 21 d BGS 10; BSHS 9 d NC 8

14A: ACGS 55 d TSS 14; BBC 27 d GT 24; IGS 12 d BGS 7; NC 34 d BSHS 10

13A: ACGS 26 d TSS 0; GT 26 d BBC 17; IGS 31 d BGS 5; NC 29 d BSHS 5

morelando bloom

Peter Burge (5)
Round 5 results:

First XV: ACGS 24 v TSS 24; GT35 d BBC 22; IGS 26 d BGS 22; NC55 d BSHS 0

2nd XV: TSS 35 d ACGS 10; BBC 15 d GT 10;IGS28 d BGS10;NC 67 d BSHS 5

16A: TSS 31 d ACGS 15; GT 31 d BBC 5; BGS 40 d IGS 7; NC 60 d BSHS 7

15A: ACGS 12 d TSS 5; BBC 19 d GT 14; IGS 21 d BGS 10; BSHS 9 d NC 8

14A: ACGS 55 d TSS 14; BBC 27 d GT 24; IGS 12 d BGS 7; NC 34 d BSHS 10

13A: ACGS 26 d TSS 0; GT 26 d BBC 17; IGS 31 d BGS 5; NC 29 d BSHS 5

13E: GT 41 d BBC 17

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think that Ross oval has lost its title as a fortress. I believe that Nudgee 1st XV have not lost away in the last 3 years, and that they only lost at Ross in 2011, lost at home twice in 2012, and once so far in 13. I suspect the Nudgee boys would happily play away this weekend for what suddenly has become a mini grand final.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think that Ross oval has lost its title as a fortress. I believe that Nudgee 1st XV have not lost away in the last 3 years, and that they only lost at Ross in 2011, lost at home twice in 2012, and once so far in 13. I suspect the Nudgee boys would happily play away this weekend for what suddenly has become a mini grand final.
30 yrs since nudgee lost to terrace at Ross oval. A packed grandstand for the terrace game is always a given. Terrace nudgee is a bit like tgs downlands, it's a different arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.