• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Well there are going to be some sensational matchups of the round in the Nudgee v Terrace games this weekend over at Boondall.

Out of the 10 Firsts / A's teams competing this weekend, all but three teams are undefeated or lost only one match to date. Of the only four teams undefeated at this level three will be playing at Nudgee this weekend. It will be a fascinating day of rugby right through all the age groups. And while the First XV is the only premiership recognised, three of the five games will probably be the "premiership" deciders for the year and another helping decide the final premiership outcome.

Firsts - Enough will be written about this for me to add too much more insight here. Nudgee will not get ambushed twice on Ross oval in a season and the Terrace team just seem to believe in themselves. While there are a couple of rounds to go, this could be the game where the winner takes it all.

16A's - Looking at past results, Nudgee have not dropped a game since losing to BGS in the first round and causing the upset of the age division when toppling TSS. However, GT crushed a BBC team on Saturday that NC struggled to put away earlier in the season. Injuries could be factor in this, but confidence amongst the older GT teams seems to be growing. If NC win they will be well on their way to sharing first place for the season with TSS.

15A's - will be affected by the u15 State Champs this weekend. NC will lose about eight players and GT one or two to the Met North team. Nudgee coach Gledhill is under the pump after this team has crashed to a few unexpected losses after being undefeated for the last two years. GT will be primed for an ambush after a very close loss to BBC last weekend. With so many players out and the result having no affect on the outcome of the u15 comp, this game is for bragging rights. Saying that, NC have everything to lose and GT could grab a whole lot of confidence for the years to come after not coming close in previous years.

14A's - this was shaping to be the "premiership" decider for this age group until the GT team lost their first game since entering the GPS comp against BBC on Saturday. Enough has been said about that game. This was going to be the match up between the two best rugby thinkers in this age group with Prideaux from NC and Lucas from GT. However, it is not to be after Prideaux was injured against BSHS last weekend and will probably not be on field this week. This may be a deciding factor with a strong, very well coached NC team lacking the onfield direction they are so well used to. After NC touched up the GT team in the trials many had their eye on how the GT team would be responding this weekend. GT will muscle up in the forwards led by Birgan and NC will hope that they can get best use of their large backs when they get the ball out wide.

13A's - these are the only two undefeated teams in QLD GPS Firsts and A divisions yet to face each other. NC also prevailed in the trials, but the GT team I saw play BBC on Saturday were one of the best drilled I have seen at this age level. NC also brought in an excellent coach (Thompson) for the 13A's this year, after a lack of success in the 13's last year and the quality of play will be high from both sides. This will be a battle of the forwards led by the No.8's Colvin (NC) and Wilson (GT) with a fantastic array of talent across the park from both sides.

As an aside, I also understand that every NC and GT u13 teams are undefeated to this point, so it will be interesting to see which school picks up first bragging rights for what will no doubt be a hotly contested age group and fierce rivalry between the two schools for years to come.

There is not often this quality of match ups at the Firsts and A's in every age group between two schools like this one on Saturday. NC have the home ground advantage and a history of rugby dominance, GT riding an infectious wave of confidence and self belief across all the age groups coming into this weekend. To use that old cliche, rugby will no doubt be the winner.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Great analysis. Unfortunate for the nc 15as and to a lesser extent the gt 15as losing players to rep duty. 8 players from nc..pretty much playing a b team. I expect terrace to get up

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
Well there are going to be some sensational matchups of the round in the Nudgee v Terrace games this weekend over at Boondall.

Out of the 10 Firsts / A's teams competing this weekend, all but three teams are undefeated or lost only one match to date. Of the only four teams undefeated at this level three will be playing at Nudgee this weekend. It will be a fascinating day of rugby right through all the age groups. And while the First XV is the only premiership recognised, three of the five games will probably be the "premiership" deciders for the year and another helping decide the final premiership outcome.

Firsts - Enough will be written about this for me to add too much more insight here. Nudgee will not get ambushed twice on Ross oval in a season and the Terrace team just seem to believe in themselves. While there are a couple of rounds to go, this could be the game where the winner takes it all.

16A's - Looking at past results, Nudgee have not dropped a game since losing to BGS in the first round and causing the upset of the age division when toppling TSS. However, GT crushed a BBC team on Saturday that NC struggled to put away earlier in the season. Injuries could be factor in this, but confidence amongst the older GT teams seems to be growing. If NC win they will be well on their way to sharing first place for the season with TSS.

15A's - will be affected by the u15 State Champs this weekend. NC will lose about eight players and GT one or two to the Met North team. Nudgee coach Gledhill is under the pump after this team has crashed to a few unexpected losses after being undefeated for the last two years. GT will be primed for an ambush after a very close loss to BBC last weekend. With so many players out and the result having no affect on the outcome of the u15 comp, this game is for bragging rights. Saying that, NC have everything to lose and GT could grab a whole lot of confidence for the years to come after not coming close in previous years.

14A's - this was shaping to be the "premiership" decider for this age group until the GT team lost their first game since entering the GPS comp against BBC on Saturday. Enough has been said about that game. This was going to be the match up between the two best rugby thinkers in this age group with Prideaux from NC and Lucas from GT. However, it is not to be after Prideaux was injured against BSHS last weekend and will probably not be on field this week. This may be a deciding factor with a strong, very well coached NC team lacking the onfield direction they are so well used to. After NC touched up the GT team in the trials many had their eye on how the GT team would be responding this weekend. GT will muscle up in the forwards led by Birgan and NC will hope that they can get best use of their large backs when they get the ball out wide.

13A's - these are the only two undefeated teams in QLD GPS Firsts and A divisions yet to face each other. NC also prevailed in the trials, but the GT team I saw play BBC on Saturday were one of the best drilled I have seen at this age level. NC also brought in an excellent coach (Thompson) for the 13A's this year, after a lack of success in the 13's last year and the quality of play will be high from both sides. This will be a battle of the forwards led by the No.8's Colvin (NC) and Wilson (GT) with a fantastic array of talent across the park from both sides.

As an aside, I also understand that every NC and GT u13 teams are undefeated to this point, so it will be interesting to see which school picks up first bragging rights for what will no doubt be a hotly contested age group and fierce rivalry between the two schools for years to come.

There is not often this quality of match ups at the Firsts and A's in every age group between two schools like this one on Saturday. NC have the home ground advantage and a history of rugby dominance, GT riding an infectious wave of confidence and self belief across all the age groups coming into this weekend. To use that old cliche, rugby will no doubt be the winner.
Nudgee v BBC 16A game in rd2 was very close and an entertaining spectacle due to BBC having players like Palmer and Gunter in the forwards. Gunter monstered the NC forwards and kept BBC in the game.
In the GT v BBC 16A game none of Swain, Palmer or Gunter played for BBC and the forwards left did not have the size to impose themselves on the game. This just shows how hard it is to judge 16A form from week to week when the better players can get promoted to 1sts to cover injuries.

RunDMC

Frank Row (1)

The 14A game is going to be an absolute cracker, 10pm on Ross for anyone who can make it. There will an awful lot of feeling in that one after the earlier game between the two sides.

NC were way too physical for them and too slick in the backs with forwards extremely comfortable with ball in hand.

They will certainly miss Prideaux this weekend, he directs them around very well but don't underestimate the depth that is in the NC 14's age grade. Their B side have barely conceded a point all year(a couple of tries maybe) and are annihilating everyone in sight so there are people to slot in when required.

The NC #13 is a wrecking ball watch out for him.

The only pity is. that as mentioned above, the loss to BBC for GT last week robbed the game of the "winner takes all" tag. It wont detract a lot from the contest however.

The 13A game is going to an extremely tight affair as well. Having seen both 13A sides this year albeit fleetingly there is nothing to choose between them.

It is going to be a great occasion at NC on Saturday with so many "deciders" on offer.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Can I ask why so much emphasis is being placed on this forum on the 13s and 14s. All these tips and analyses etc. they are just kids. Fair enough 15s/16s when you've got players moving between the A's and the 1sts but comeon. Commenting and/or scrutinising a 13/14 yr old boy is a bit much in my opinion.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Isn't all schoolboy rugby just kids? Hardly does two posts make an emphatic statement. Looking forward to a cracking day at Nudgee.
1st xv is on the verge of professional.. in qld gps anyway. There's still so much more growing etc for yr 8s and 9s, I just don't think they should be a talking point until they're contesting for 1st xv positions..

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Can I ask why so much emphasis is being placed on this forum on the 13s and 14s. All these tips and analyses etc. they are just kids. Fair enough 15s/16s when you've got players moving between the A's and the 1sts but comeon. Commenting and/or scrutinising a 13/14 yr old boy is a bit much in my opinion.

Good question. The majority of this thread is about the First XV as it is the only premiership awarded for QLD GPS Rugby.

From time to time the results and goings on of the age group A teams have been published. For me this is a pointer towards which schools are developing the rugby programmes down to the youngest age groups and which schools and names to look out for in the future years. Sometimes a name of a player gets thrown up, more so it is about the team results.

When looking at the results over the previous rounds this year it seemed to me the quality of the rugby across all the age group A teams this Saturday between NC and GT was going to be cracking. The post was to highlight the fact and provide the reasons why and some of the info behind the teams that I was aware of.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Rugby program strength is always a good talking point that's fair enough. I think a lot of the time you get relatives of 13s and 14s players talking the talk, proud as punch

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Aus 1's
Alex Mafi - NC
Mitch Third - TSS

2's
Carlin Anderson - IGS
Joel Brown - TSS
Sam Clifton - TSS
Matt Gibbon - NC
Evander Guttenbeil - TSS
Landon Hayes - IGS
Maclean Jones - NC
Liam Jurd - TGS
Douglas MacMillan - ACGS
James Todd - IGS
James Tuttle - NC*** - Cheers BG.

Former GPS - Lolo Fakaosilea (BBC 2012)

Just a quick comment that I think there are a fair few boys in QLD GPS that should feel unlucky not to have made it (Russell, Tanuvasa, Bowyer. etc). Unfortunately with the new dates of the competition most guys wouldn't have had the same preparation that those from other states and competitions had.

Can't remember the last time QLD had only two players in the Aus schools team, it is very concerning but easily explained.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Aus 1's
Alex Mafi - NC
Mitch Third - TSS

2's
Joel Brown - TSS
Sam Clifton - TSS
Matt Gibbon - NC
Evander Guttenbeil - TSS
Landon Hayes - IGS
Maclean Jones - NC
Liam Jurd - TGS
Douglas MacMillan - ACGS
James Todd - IGS
Jack Tuttle - IGS

Just a quick comment that I think there are a fair few boys in QLD GPS that should feel unlucky not to have made it (Russell, Tanuvasa, Bowyer. etc). Unfortunately with the new dates of the competition most guys wouldn't have had the same preparation that those from other states and competitions had.

Can't remember the last time QLD had only two players in the Aus schools team it is very concerning but easily explained.
James tuttle NC *

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Aus 1's
Alex Mafi - NC
Mitch Third - TSS

2's
Joel Brown - TSS
Sam Clifton - TSS
Matt Gibbon - NC
Evander Guttenbeil - TSS
Landon Hayes - IGS
Maclean Jones - NC
Liam Jurd - TGS
Douglas MacMillan - ACGS
James Todd - IGS
Jack Tuttle - IGS

Can't remember the last time QLD had only two players in the Aus schools team, it is very concerning but easily explained.

It's absolute lunacy that these teams are picked before any meaningful rugby is played for the year.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It's absolute lunacy that these teams are picked before any meaningful rugby is played for the year.

I'd argue it is lunacy that they moved rugby to third term to begin with. Every other competition in the country runs parallel to the trials and it doesn't make sense to move them for the sake of QLD GPS. I just wonder how long it will take the headmasters to realise that they made a mistake, then again it's only in the first year so there are bound to be mishaps. The main driving force in QLD schoolboys rugby, Stephen Philpotts, is a smart man so part of me believes that it was made for the right reasons.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
QLD had at least six player in the Aus Schools. Don't leave us AIC blokes out.

How could I forget? The question I answered was aimed at QLD GPS.

Brad Wilkin - Iona
Moses Sorovi - SPLC
Lolo Fakaosilea - SPC

Those are the three AIC boys and all are in the 1's. Wilkin is the best QLD player across all competitions IMO. He would have made it last year if he wasn't injured and is certainly one to watch in the future.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'd argue it is lunacy that they moved rugby to third term to begin with. Every other competition in the country runs parallel to the trials and it doesn't make sense to move them for the sake of QLD GPS. I just wonder how long it will take the headmasters to realise that they made a mistake, then again it's only in the first year so there are bound to be mishaps. The main driving force in QLD schoolboys rugby, Stephen Philpotts, is a smart man so part of me believes that it was made for the right reasons.
Basketball programs are far weaker across the gps and more importantly in qld, soccer and rugby don't go hand in hand. There's always been an internal rivalry at schools between soccer and rugby players. As for soccer being played on the hallowed turfs that have been the home pf rugby for years....

Status
Not open for further replies.