• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
First time post here - Nudgee U15A have forfeited game v GT this weekend. Why? - Approx 9 players at Met North trials same day. Sorry but school and schoolmates come first. There are now 21 young men (inc GT lads) without a game because 9 are pursuing a personal advancement. Is this the same mindset program that has given us James O'Connor et al.

I do not have a direct connection to Nudgee or the U15's but have a life long Nudgee mate whose son has been talking this game v GT all year and will now be in his blazer for the day. He is shattered.

Here is an idea. Promote the young men from the B's to fill the void left by those choosing to play in another jersey. I reckon they would have a real crack and probably enjoy a rugby experience they may not have the opportunity to have again at school.

This is wrong Nudgee. It is only Tuesday, the game is Saturday. Make this right.

Just some clarifications to provide info to help get to a more complete picture (and then some opinion)

It is the u15 State Schools Championships being held from Thurs to Sunday this week. The Nudgee boys and I believe one or two Terrace boys have been selected to represent their regional schools district, Met North.

The schools have to nominate the boys to take part in this, so it is not the boys going out to seek personal advancement behind the schools back. Most schools encourage participation in this tournament for the experience the boys will receive playing the best players from around the state.

It is disappointing for the remaining 20 or so boys to miss a match when the QLD GPS season is already to short, particularly for the under age teams.

It appears Nudgee have made the decision to forfeit the game. I am assuming that it is because they feel they do not have sufficient numbers of the playing calibre required to play at the A level. Unfortunately if that is the reason, I believe it is a poor excuse as NC has the strongest and deepest playing depth out of any school in the QLD GPS in every age group. The one thing that does occur is that the playing field could be said to be "evened" without rep players being involved.

In an earlier post of mine, on this thread, before I was aware that NC had forfeited, I did say that NC had the most to lose as far as reputation and GT getting a kick a long for future years with a bit of confidence. Those involved in NC Rugby may have felt the same way.

Monday's Expert

Chris McKivat (8)
First time post here - Nudgee U15A have forfeited game v GT this weekend. Why? - Approx 9 players at Met North trials same day. Sorry but school and schoolmates come first. There are now 21 young men (inc GT lads) without a game because 9 are pursuing a personal advancement. Is this the same mindset program that has given us James O'Connor et al.

I do not have a direct connection to Nudgee or the U15's but have a life long Nudgee mate whose son has been talking this game v GT all year and will now be in his blazer for the day. He is shattered.

Here is an idea. Promote the young men from the B's to fill the void left by those choosing to play in another jersey. I reckon they would have a real crack and probably enjoy a rugby experience they may not have the opportunity to have again at school.

This is wrong Nudgee. It is only Tuesday, the game is Saturday. Make this right.
Girtbysea - well said. Boys who fairly trialled for the State Champs should be able to do so as it is ratified by their school to allow them to trial for the team in the first place, knowing full well the dates of the championships. This is the beginning of the pathway for all boys, GPS, AIC, TAS and the rest. Goodness knows the scouts will be out and some boys will be at different schools next year because of it! As to a NC forfeit in the 15s, I agree with other posters, this is pathetic. In a short season underage boys should be getting every one of their 8-9 competition games and there are surely boys at every school in a B grade side who would love the exposure to A rugby, even for a weekend. Who knows, someone just might step up in a new position or who had not previously been seen and be a ready made and proven replacement for a State Championship player's injury. this is what drives me insane about the NC attitude. "Nudgee - with spirit" is their motto but just pulling out like this does nothing to develop the character of the B boys or the A boys left behind who should be given the chance to strive in the absence of their mates to say "look, you were away but this is what we achieved by digging deep without you". and you know what? If the game was won or lost who bloody cares??? It is 30 14 and 15 years olds having a game, not the RWC final!! The result is immaterial. Boo Nudgee, boo hiss. Flat track bullies when it all goes your way but a big yellow streak exposed when a few are out. Hang your heads in shame.

Monster

Peter Burge (5)
Girtbysea - well said. Boys who fairly trialled for the State Champs should be able to do so as it is ratified by their school to allow them to trial for the team in the first place, knowing full well the dates of the championships. This is the beginning of the pathway for all boys, GPS, AIC, TAS and the rest. Goodness knows the scouts will be out and some boys will be at different schools next year because of it! As to a NC forfeit in the 15s, I agree with other posters, this is pathetic. In a short season underage boys should be getting every one of their 8-9 competition games and there are surely boys at every school in a B grade side who would love the exposure to A rugby, even for a weekend. Who knows, someone just might step up in a new position or who had not previously been seen and be a ready made and proven replacement for a State Championship player's injury. this is what drives me insane about the NC attitude. "Nudgee - with spirit" is their motto but just pulling out like this does nothing to develop the character of the B boys or the A boys left behind who should be given the chance to strive in the absence of their mates to say "look, you were away but this is what we achieved by digging deep without you". and you know what? If the game was won or lost who bloody cares??? It is 30 14 and 15 years olds having a game, not the RWC final!! The result is immaterial. Boo Nudgee, boo hiss. Flat track bullies when it all goes your way but a big yellow streak exposed when a few are out. Hang your heads in shame.
Some may argue player safety is the main issue around the forfeit if the B team is weak and not physically capable of playing another schools A team.
Can't see this being a reasonable excuse for NC given most of their B teams would smash most of the other schools A teams.
Agree with other posters that they should just pick their best teams available and play thru the grades.
I havent seen any sympathy from NC in the past when their B, C, D etc teams are smashing schools like BBC, BGS, IGS (admittedly not Ds) etc by 80+.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Should be a good weekend with the hotly anticipated Catholic derby (Tipping NC, sorry GT)

Should also be interesting in BBC v BGS as it is BBC old boys day so plenty of people coming out to watch this one.

How is each school looking on injuries? We are getting to that stage of the season where they begin to pile up

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think I'm alone in thinking that a school's reputation suffers more for forfeiting a game rather than losing it.

Let Nudgees b team play, they're probably better than most A teams in the competition anyway.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I think Nudgee would like everyone to think that. They're obviously not if they're refusing to play GT in the biggest game of the year.

What happens if a few too many A's players get injured? Will they forfeit then? It's beyond ridiculous, I feel for the 19 lads who are now stuck in blazers watching their mates play footy when they only get 8 serious games for their school a year.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Just some clarifications to provide info to help get to a more complete picture (and then some opinion)

It is the u15 State Schools Championships being held from Thurs to Sunday this week. The Nudgee boys and I believe one or two Terrace boys have been selected to represent their regional schools district, Met North.

The schools have to nominate the boys to take part in this, so it is not the boys going out to seek personal advancement behind the schools back. Most schools encourage participation in this tournament for the experience the boys will receive playing the best players from around the state.

It is disappointing for the remaining 20 or so boys to miss a match when the QLD GPS season is already to short, particularly for the under age teams.

It appears Nudgee have made the decision to forfeit the game. I am assuming that it is because they feel they do not have sufficient numbers of the playing calibre required to play at the A level. Unfortunately if that is the reason, I believe it is a poor excuse as NC has the strongest and deepest playing depth out of any school in the QLD GPS in every age group. The one thing that does occur is that the playing field could be said to be "evened" without rep players being involved.

In an earlier post of mine, on this thread, before I was aware that NC had forfeited, I did say that NC had the most to lose as far as reputation and GT getting a kick a long for future years with a bit of confidence. Those involved in NC Rugby may have felt the same way.

Whilst appreciating what opportunity exists at the U15 trial level, I would like to know what the Nudgee position would have been if the side was a premiership chance. I am guessing the players would have not been released to the trials. Not particularly an indication of any respect for your opposing team this weekend.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Oh ffs people 8 players moving up in each division is a nightmare for coaches. You have 8 new faces in the team and you essentially have to start from scratch in terms of tactics etc. the same thing happened last yr during this round due to the rep trials. Both schools involved, nudgee was one of them, agreed for the match to be played during the week. If terrace had about 8 players out too they'd negotiate this with nc. But they don't. They have a full strength side. Gt would love nothing more than to increase its precious sports review win loss ratio and beating a nudgee 'b' team is an easy way of achieving this. Note that nudgee did not 'forfeit', resulting in a loss. The game is being classed as a 'bye' for both schools'15a's. in b4 hate.

Schoolboyruggers

Bob McCowan (2)
Hopefully the GT supporters who were making the racist comments last week will pull there heads in at Nudgee this weekend as the school is celebrating NAIDOC week. An initiative to build knowledge and understanding about the original custodians of Australia. Expect numerous cultural dances and events at the college on saturday.

Despite the good cause, personally I am disappointing that for the first time in 121 years of rivalry Nudgee firsts will not be wearing the traditional blue and white butcher stripes, opting for an Indigenous patterned jerseys instead, which they wore last year against TSS.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I actually don't blame NC because it means that the entire age group actually has to be reselected, the parents told, new scrum, new lineout, new everything in every team.. talk about logistical nightmare.

How about just not being stupid and have the bloody trials on a Sunday or some other non rugby playing day

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Th
I actually don't blame NC because it means that the entire age group actually has to be reselected, the parents told, new scrum, new lineout, new everything in every team.. talk about logistical nightmare.

How about just not being stupid and have the bloody trials on a Sunday or some other non rugby playing day
Thank you spikhaza, some sense finally. Nudgee take indigenous affairs very seriously, as do igs. I think it was the igs round lasts yr when they wore that jersey. It's a shame they aren't wearing the butcher stripes for tradition etc but it's for a good cause

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As long as you're not reffing mate GT should be in with a chance

Ah you're back. I've been waiting for this! Anything significant to contribute other than the same old trolls Mr Bloom?

I noticed you have been a bit quiet of late mate, haven't got much to say when your team are losing do you? Please do us all a favour and crawl back into the hole you came from. Perhaps while you are there contemplating life you should also remember that a good sport never blames the referee.

On another note, very happy to see Nudgee going with the indigenous jersey this weekend. Probably could have picked a better round against a less traditional rival but I'm happy to see it nonetheless. It will no doubt lift a few of the lads.

Predictions for this weekend?

redatheart

Frank Nicholson (4)
Oh ffs people 8 players moving up in each division is a nightmare for coaches.

God yes. Its not as though Nudgee sought out this issue, and from the Trials point of view they have always done it then. As a coach I would hate to be the B coach losing 8 players based on the position of the trialing players, and having to get 8 from the C's (etc). Play the game on Tuesday afternoon on the main ovals. Throw in some Ice Cream and make it a positive situation for both teams. Maybe even, new concept, plan for it.

Big Game

Frank Nicholson (4)
Moreland and Big game what can my team expect from your mighty 13G's this weekend in Showdown II?
Mate the gt 13gs are very much like the 2012 senior b debating team from terrace. They'll beat you in manner, matter and method and most of all i expect them to ruin your minuscule chance of a premiership

Status
Not open for further replies.