• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)

5 of which were in a row thanks to the likes of Michael Lynagh etc. Thinking of this record is truly incredible, I mean could you imagine going to school in year 8 and graduating year 12 without knowing what it's like to not win a premiership? With an ever increasing competitive GPS competition (thankgoodness), I doubt it will ever be surpased.

Thankyou for your article TheKing, your unbiased contibution to this page is brilliant.

ippylad93

Bill Watson (15)
5 of which were in a row thanks to the likes of Michael Lynagh etc. Thinking of this record is truly incredible, I mean could you imagine going to school in year 8 and graduating year 12 without knowing what it's like to not win a premiership? With an ever increasing competitive GPS competition (thankgoodness), I doubt it will ever be surpased.

Thankyou for your article TheKing, your unbiased contibution to this page is brilliant.
There team would closely match state high 2009's team for Australian Schoolboys and they ended up have a number of Wallaby Greats I think 5

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Light, you act like Terrace have never/aren't any good at rugby? Terrace still has 11 premierships to its name

That's just wrong. It's pretty common knowledge that Terrace has been a rugby nursery over the years, the teams from '77-81 won five in a row. The first in 1977 was the year they ended BSHS four year dominance of the competition. Those two schools met in a cracking show down that determined the premiership, GT coming out on top 14-7 at home.

I remember in years gone by when teams feared playing the red & black. As a Churchie old boy and supporter I used to earmark my calendar the date GT played ACGS as a game I would always make an effort to see, even when I wasn't living in Brisbane. I thought they were unlucky to only get the one premiership in the '90s - a decade that featured the likes of Nick Stiles, Rudi Vedelago, Iain Thompson and Michael Buchanan. That team in '04 with Benny Lucas and James Hanson was one of my favourites, they taught Churchie and David P a lesson that year however the revenge the blue and grey enacted the following year was sweet. We don't have to discuss Ioane or Gill.

Lynagh, Lucas, Ioane, Hanson, Gill, Frawley and Stiles. Enough said.

Oh and also more recently, Andrew Ready - a bloke who has been making a huge impact on the brisbane club rugby scene. One to watch out for.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's just wrong. It's pretty common knowledge that Terrace has been a rugby nursery over the years, the teams from '77-81 won five in a row. The first in 1977 was the year they ended BSHS four year dominance of the competition. Those two schools met in a cracking show down that determined the premiership, GT coming out on top 14-7 at home.

I remember in years gone by when teams feared playing the red & black. As a Churchie old boy and supporter I used to earmark my calendar the date GT played ACGS as a game I would always make an effort to see, even when I wasn't living in Brisbane. I thought they were unlucky to only get the one premiership in the '90s - a decade that featured the likes of Nick Stiles, Rudi Vedelago, Iain Thompson and Michael Buchanan. That team in '04 with Benny Lucas and James Hanson was one of my favourites, they taught Churchie and David P a lesson that year however the revenge the blue and grey enacted the following year was sweet. We don't have to discuss Ioane or Gill.

Oh and also more recently, Andrew Ready - a bloke who has been making a huge impact on the brisbane club rugby scene. One to watch out for.
Harry Parker as well. AUS u20, exciting times

idaknow

Herbert Moran (7)
Probabaly one of, if not the best GPS rugby match of all time. Half of brisbane was at West End. "The King" Wally Lewis captained BSHS.
https://brisbaneshs.eq.edu.au/book/1977-vs-gt
War-cry?

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Kudos on the article King Elvis. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

That being said, not really a follower of the NBA so had no idea what relevance that had to QLD GPS, was an interesting choice of examples. Other than a few little errors (i.e those mentioned by posters above and the NC home record, they did lose at Ross in 2011) it was a very good read.

btw GT should be cheering, that's a very high ranking.

Light, I knew that would be the case when I made the analogies, but I figured if I converted an NBA formula I might as well use NBA examples.

And thanks for pointing out Nudgee's latest loss at Jack Ross - but it seems you are also incorrect.

How could I forget the greatest First XV experience in my life in 2012, when Brisbane Grammar thrashed Nudgee at home to take home the first outright premiership in 40 years.

Ironic that I should forget that!

Realdeal

Fred Wood (13)
First post but have been keeping an eye on things for many years in different ways - coach, parent, supporter, chronicler in other forums.

This week's currency of the clash of dates between the State Championships and GPS school rugby was discussed, rationalised and resolved months ago by the very responsible Directors of Sport at the 9 schools.

The Headmasters changed the game plan by changing seasons. These fellows had to make it work. This time last year the same thing happened. This year one of the contests happens to be red and black v blue and white.

The fact is that at the start of the season the Directors of Sport agreed that a bye in the 15A fixture was sensible and viable. Catchup games could be played either side of the scheduled games. This happened last year and everybody was understanding of that and happy and accepting.

This year, between the two schools mentioned, there has been a conflict of a very reasonable bigger picture - last week and this week, Nudgee had lads involved in Immersion experiences. Terrace have their lads so involved next week. The following week Terrace have exams as does Nudgee the week after that. There just was not a window when the game could be played. Both schools and all schools have much bigger pictures in play and Rugby is but a part, a significant part mind you, of that bigger picture.

All the aforementioned points by other posters re ripple effect through the grades and safety of players and team cohesiveness are very true and very relevant. Coaches are not decision makers in this matter and it is not fair, right or just to lay criticism or blame at their feet. They actively support the leadership, direction and advice of the communities they represent and support.

At the end of the day or at the end of each Saturday, whatever transpired that day was just a game. The fellows coaching these teams know that and the school administrations that entrusted the welfare of the lads eventually in these teams know that.

Also, as was mentioned by another poster, this is not the only 15A fixture not being played this weekend. Remember the agreement was for a bye in all matches and for the matches to be played where possible. These lads are only in Year 10 or its age equivalent. This is not sheep station stuff.
These comments might come back to bite some bloggers on the ... Who know what about Nudgee ... Will GT 15A team play the following week due to a year 10 program??? I think we at BBC do these things better

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How could I forget the greatest First XV experience in my life in 2012, when Brisbane Grammar thrashed Nudgee at home to take home the first outright premiership in 40 years.

Ironic that I should forget that!

Haha very, although now it seems that Ross Oval isn't such a fortess.

I too had forgotten that BGS won there last year. My comment was in reference to Rd 1, 2011 when they lost to ACGS at Ross. The same ACGS team that undoubtedly 'choked' (for lack of a better word) against IGS after the mid semester break, it cost them the premiership that year.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
My Tips this weekend!

GT v NC
I would love to be surprised here but GT have been talked up a lot. Which team will show up from Nudgee?? If they play like they did against Churchie GT are in for a ripper of a game. GT need to get into Nudgee's ball at the breakdown to be a chance here. If Nudgee can start sending their big ball runners at the smaller GT backline it will be game over. Sorry Terrace.
- NC by 8

BBC v BGS - BGS missing too many key players and some leadership as well. BBC would have had a fuming week at training and will be looking to make amends for their error strewn performance last week - College by 18

IGS v TGS - Will one of these two finally get it together in 2013? Both have been disappointing. I honestly have no idea who to tip. I'm going to take IGS purely on the basis they are at home.
- IGS by 6

TSS v BSHS

It's interesting to see that a lot of posters on here have tipped TSS to rip BSHS apart, however there seems to be complacency all round, and some resting of key players. It will be interesting to see if BSHS rock up to play. On form they play with a lot of heart. It will be closer than many have been predicting.
- TSS by 12

Special Advice

i) As always, if you don't want your view obscured, don't sit behind the school supporters who are standing up every 2 seconds and then complain that they are standing up
ii) Watch out for the many wild Mercedes on the loose as a result of the bye for ACGS
iii) Don't go to the RE. Ever.

thejoker

Bob McCowan (2)

Terrace don't want your kind words mate.

gngfiend

Allen Oxlade (6)
My Tips this weekend!

GT v NC
I would love to be surprised here but GT have been talked up a lot. Which team will show up from Nudgee?? If they play like they did against Churchie GT are in for a ripper of a game. GT need to get into Nudgee's ball at the breakdown to be a chance here. If Nudgee can start sending their big ball runners at the smaller GT backline it will be game over. Sorry Terrace.
- NC by 8

BBC v BGS - BGS missing too many key players and some leadership as well. BBC would have had a fuming week at training and will be looking to make amends for their error strewn performance last week - College by 18

IGS v TGS - Will one of these two finally get it together in 2013? Both have been disappointing. I honestly have no idea who to tip. I'm going to take IGS purely on the basis they are at home.
- IGS by 6

TSS v BSHS

It's interesting to see that a lot of posters on here have tipped TSS to rip BSHS apart, however there seems to be complacency all round, and some resting of key players. It will be interesting to see if BSHS rock up to play. On form they play with a lot of heart. It will be closer than many have been predicting.
- TSS by 12

Special Advice

i) As always, if you don't want your view obscured, don't sit behind the school supporters who are standing up every 2 seconds and then complain that they are standing up
ii) Watch out for the many wild Mercedes on the loose as a result of the bye for ACGS
iii) Don't go to the RE. Ever.
Nudgee are sponsored by Mercedes. Their market (gt parents) will be having a geeze.

Taipan168

Jim Clark (26)
ScreenHunter_004.jpg

Guttenbiel out

Red Black

Larry Dwyer (12)
All
As much as I'd love for ^ to be true, I just plain forgot about Terrace. Of course they are contenders, I backed GT to trouble BBC if they got off to a good start, and I'm making the same prediction for this week. If Terrace can get points on the board early and pick up some momentum I'm certain they can push Nudgee for the win.

One call I'll make is that if Nikau Te Rupe doesn't pass/utilize his outside backs properly Campbell Magnay will shut him down quicksmart, and Nudgee will win the game. Nikau's decision making is holding back the team IMO

Thanks for the heads up though Red Black, I'll fix it up now
All good, I was just picking up on a typo ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.