• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Vegas

I think the notion that Tom Barker ripped the guts out of BBC Rugby is grossly unfair . It suggests he was a lone operative in an effort ( the right effort at the time ) to address a historically shyte program

Success has many fathers but failure is an orphan as they say

Except that, even with the "failures" of recruitment en masse across all age levels , it has served a reality jolt of what it means to be relevant . And this in itself has changed , and will continue to change the culture of BBC Rugby . More than what a lot of people can yet see.

But that's Ok .

The Green and Black will just keep going about their business which isn't too different from other schools that are also putting in most efforts to better their programs and compete .

Across the board - the new thinking is building nucleuses from U13 to U14 with possibly 1 or 2 tweaks as they mature toward open competition , the common philosophy being , give the boys an opportunity to truly integrate into the broader school community and give them the best possible opportunity to develop as men that will serve them well in the outside world even if they don't play Super 15 Rugby or NRL.

Which will be the case for 95% of them.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
Correct
But there needs to be a bit of accuracy.
NC did win 13A by miles in 2013 and did bring in boys in 2014.
And yes the 2 RL boys that came in last year were superstars.
Correct- all schools are now in same boat -can the scholarship snipes go to the appropriate thread

Meanwhile......everyone on north side getting very nervous about TSS.word is they were impressive on Saturday and building very very nicely.Big big team

Well said Blue & White.

As a serial tipper on this forum, I have been talking about TSS in the same breath as Nudgee and BBC since last season.

This could be one of the closest First XV competitions in recent memory.

Call me silly, but we could well see a shared premiership this year.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Well said Blue & White.

As a serial tipper on this forum, I have been talking about TSS in the same breath as Nudgee and BBC since last season.

This could be one of the closest First XV competitions in recent memory.

Call me silly, but we could well see a shared premiership this year.

Your tips show you are not silly.
I would put TSS ahead of BBC and just behind NC.
In my view if BBC has injuries to the forwards in number 1 team -particularly 4,5& 8 they will struggle against top teams.Also I do not think they have speed on wings having moved last years pair inwards.
Lets not forget they have an injury history.What could have been if the Fakosolia/Quick combination(now in Italy with Aussie under 20) could have played more than a handful of games together.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Barker ripped the guts out of BBC Rugby - recruited a lot of talented athletes ( rugby league ) , but could not mould a united, talented rugby team. A strong united core is the key, and from what transpired on the field at Toowong over the last 3 years, that didnt happen. Hopefully GT are getting it right by bringing the boys in early, but they have to want to be there for the right reasons, and the boy fit the school - not the other way around. From what I understand about the headmaster, he may be the control that Barker didnt have at BBC

vegas

1) this is a thread about rugby not sour grapes;
2) i remember you from last year - moaning that your son was in the 14 Es when you thought he should be 14 A captain ;
3) take your comments of this nature to the " i live through my sons thread";
4) ask these fantasic young men where they would be today if not for TB :
-Lolo Fakaosilea ( debut for Reds 2 weeks ago at age 19);
- Conrad Quick - youngest player in Aussie under 20 team ;
- Tom Banks - on bench for Qld reds at age 20
ask them why they all come back to coach at BBC if they were RL boys who did not fit
While you are at it, ask David Pocock who suggested he switch from a 12 to a 7

ABs

Frank Row (1)
Correct
But there needs to be a bit of accuracy.
NC did win 13A by miles in 2013 and did bring in boys in 2014.
And yes the 2 RL boys that came in last year were superstars.
Correct- all schools are now in same boat -can the scholarship snipes go to the appropriate thread

Meanwhile......everyone on north side getting very nervous about TSS.word is they were impressive on Saturday and building very very nicely.Big big team

Small correction, but significant.....the 2 New boys that have consistently been referred to as "RL boys" are actually staunch "Union Boys" who have been chased by the NRL! And yes they have been contracted by the NRL because the ARU are doing nothing to support these kids, or any kid that love's union....

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
BSHS host NC in this weekend trials. It will be interesting to see where the NC14s are at, Also BSHS 15s, it's gotta be an improvement on last year!

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Small correction, but significant...the 2 New boys that have consistently been referred to as "RL boys" are actually staunch "Union Boys" who have been chased by the NRL! And yes they have been contracted by the NRL because the ARU are doing nothing to support these kids, or any kid that love's union..

100% correct

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
@ Vegas

I think the notion that Tom Barker ripped the guts out of BBC Rugby is grossly unfair . .

I agree, while Baker left BBC with some problems and the culture still needs to be set right, the program across the board especially in the in the younger grades is much stronger then ever before.

BBC I believe have learnt two very important lessons, you cant build a Rugby program/culture overnight, just as you cant win a GPS premiership on 1 years build up.

The Rugby program at BBC over the past 4-5 years has definitely been a success - all they are missing is the icing on the top and they will have more than a couple of chances to address that in the next several years.

Good times ahead I suspect - hopefully not too good though.

BAG

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Spot on BAG

And as I said....it's true for all schools that seem to be trending toward this realisation when they look at folding recruitment into their overall program

The school has to matter first , then the program , both of which in what they stand for , and the kid needs to absorb and fit all of that ....not the other way around in the pandering and not holding kids and their families accountable to "buy in"

If schools and programs get this right from the get go it should be win win for all schools , programs and players

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
Spot on BAG

And as I said..it's true for all schools that seem to be trending toward this realisation when they look at folding recruitment into their overall program

The school has to matter first , then the program , both of which in what they stand for , and the kid needs to absorb and fit all of that ..not the other way around in the pandering and not holding kids and their families accountable to "buy in"

If schools and programs get this right from the get go it should be win win for all schools , programs and players

and a win for the REDS.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey King
Where are you.What is BGS up to.?
Can we expect your match reports this year?
I hear they went well against TGS. But got pushed around by the Giants at TSS. How big is their number 8?
I also hear nephew of Josh Bowen (Cowboys & SOO legend)has decided not to join his 2 cousins at BBC and has ended up in grade 8 at BGS.Must have been some offer.
Good luck to you -if he is as good as Josh (see Josh Bowen "The weapon" on U -tube ) you have a winner.Can the QRU get off their arse and get him back from Broncos??
Congrats

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
I have had the utmost respect for any coach that takes on some of the best talented young men in this country, it's definitely a job that starts from the ground roots up and Barker certainly delivered in my book, he just hasn't reaped the harvest from what his long term planning, having said that, I believe the new coaching staff under Phillpotts have done some fine tuning upfront!, injuries are their only enemy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GSP

Fred Wood (13)
BSHS host NC BBC vs Churchie
1ST - NC
16A - NC
15A - NC
14A - BSHS
13A - BSHS
12A - ??
BBC vs Churchie
1ST - BBC
16A - ACGS
15A - ACGS
14A - BBC
13A - BBC
12A - ACGS

Agree with all you say. BSHS 13A (aka Qld RL all stars)will win premiership.
BBC 13 A will be nowhere near as good as last year.ACGS should beat them.
BBC 15 A will beat ACGS if the number 1 team is there-as they did last year.
Otherwise-you are good to go.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
TGS 1st play TSS 1st this weekend in a trial game. Keen to see how they match up in a 70 min game. I think TGS will be a physical side, although TSS does have a size advantage in the pack but the back line looked impressive last week end and there could be a number of tries from both sides.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agree with all you say. BSHS 13A (aka Qld RL all stars)will win premiership.
BBC 13 A will be nowhere near as good as last year.ACGS should beat them.
BBC 15 A will beat ACGS if the number 1 team is there-as they did last year.
Otherwise-you are good to go.

are the GPS rep teams announced yet . ?seems to be a lot of boys not playing in BBC vACGS trial. i know RL boys not playing but where are all the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.