• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
BBC has every reason to talk it down after a very complacent and lacklustre match vs BGS today.

I know they were a few rep players down and now also got a few more injuries including their captain 4 (Swain I think) to further cloud their opener next week.

BGS not skilful but manned up very well in defence in what can only

described as a slow match with very little flow.

accurate summary .Score was 27-7 but intensity of 2
flatter than a greek pancake with 6 or 7 out resting or injured and 2 more injuries.
no sign of Veravis but i am told he is held together by tape and is doubtful for round 1 .

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
50 - 0 to TSS over Bromgrove (UK). Standouts for TSS were 12 (Whitbread ?) and 6 (Mavoa). The UK side was lacking in size, but who knows if they bought their #1 team out.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Benchwarmer

Frank Nicholson (4)
Really good hit out between BSHS and IGS 13's today......neither full strength but near to it. Season fixture should be a cracker. There are some big boys and quick lads on both sides. Good displays of skill on show in mild / cold slippery conditions.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
You did pretty well and I had to rep your post just based on the General Burkhalter shout out

You will achieve legendary status if you can get a Major Horschtedder quip into the mix

BGS not skilful but manned up very well in defence in what can only be described as a slow match with very little flow.

Did BGS give young flyhalf Paddy Hogan any minutes in the trial?

I know nothing!

hogan.gif

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Great day down at GT yesterday watching some of the earlier age groups before the A's all kicking off at 1pm.
I Made the choice to watch the 15's as this would be the only chance between the 2 teams to really get stuck into each other due to their respective schools immersion program's in term 3. Boy did they not disappoint, the skill level, speed, and intensity from both teams was exceptional. A great game of rugby between these two teams that belied the trial status, Well done.
As with these type of games it would come down to one or two key moments. For NC the first converted opportunity was from a tackle and turn over by their lock Wood to send NC's fullback over in the corner, their second which was the game clincher also from the similar scenario with NC's centre Soli making a great turnover putting the winger into the corner.
GT's try was through a well weighted grubber with an excellent gather by their winger to score in the corner. It looked like GT were going to score again from another well weighted kick in behind from their 10 LG but he was caught by the cover defence just short of the line and NC earn't a relieving penalty in the next phase through some great work by Wood and Colvin.
GT's best forward would be their number 7 just shading 8 Levi, best back 10 LG
NC's best forward, 5 Wood by a smidge from 2 Colvin, best back 12 Soli.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
GT's best forward would be their number 7 just shading 8 Levi, best back 10 LG

I had it around the other way, just. I thought GT 8 was outstanding easily the best I have seen him play. 7 is a workhorse who also has 2-3 big impact moments a half and has a lot of class about him.

Great game

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)
A Shared premiership is on the cards.

From what I can glean so far this is going to be the closest season in a while. There's no over confident, cashed up Churchie rugby supporters wringing their hands in anticipation this year. Even the Nudgee old boys squad won't be so confident walking around on Saturday morning in their blue and white, hand knitted jumpy jumps from 1985.
Any one of 4 teams can win this and there are some teams outside of that who can cause more trouble than Mad Max looking for a servo.
A 2, or even 3 way tie would not surprise me.
TSS look stronger than a Snapper Rocks riptide and lets face it Nudgee probably have the best forward in the competition. BBC have the best outside backs and Toowoomba have the strongest front row. If the cattle prodders can win all their home games watch out. A win or even a close loss against Nudgee this week, will set things up nicely for them.
There's no easy beats in this competition either. Even Grammar have got rid of the debating team as their back line and will play with some substance. Some great coaches at the helm will see to that. Churchie have a nice shot of class throughout the team. There will of course also be shots available for all the Churchie parents at home games. And if they ask you to put your car keys in a bowl for minding when you arrive - don't do it. But I digress.
Terrace will be the usual banana skin, State High might actually show up for a couple of games and will be more than capable of sending a team home from De-mountable Stadium with their tails between their legs.
The only team I don't have a close line of sight on are Ippy, but I think early in the season they will be strong. They'll run out of steam in about round 6 as the lure of the Railway Hotel and the $5 counter meal becomes too much. But there will be enough there for them to give BBC a tickle in round 1.
TSS and Nudgee have a nice opening draw which probably puts them a rung above the others - but GPS rugby is a funny old game.
Close very close...

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Breakdown to answer part of your question in the trial game Saturday against Terrace, Nudgee were without the following players who would ordinarily line up in the 1st XV:

3 Gavin Luka
4 Jacob Ilordi
6 Kalala Meni
7 Tom Zappala
8 Reece Hewat
12 Calvin Pritchard
13 Tony Hunt
14 Willie Malala
15 Liam Richman

10 Liam Moseley was rested after half time.

A lot of year 11 players given the chance to have a crack and show what they had.

Spirax

Herbert Moran (7)
Malala didn't play.
Elordi off crutches as of Saturday night and hoping to be back this week or after the bye.
Pritchard is still talking with the school about his plans for rugby this year.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
TSS look stronger than a Snapper Rocks riptide and lets face it Nudgee probably have the best forward in the competition. BBC have the best outside backs and Toowoomba have the strongest front row. If the cattle prodders can win all their home games watch out. A win or even a close loss against Nudgee this week, will set things up nicely for them.

100% accurate.

warrenwobble

Ted Fahey (11)

100% accurate.

Well GG, I do my best....
After I get some team lists through I will put up a Match by match review on Friday.
If anyone gets any please post - as I only have "ins" at a few schools.

Gungenia

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well GG, I do my best..
After I get some team lists through I will put up a Match by match review on Friday.
If anyone gets any please post - as I only have "ins" at a few schools.

you will not get a team list from BBC until very late this week when they take the bandages off Veravis and the captain and see what they find underneath.
smart move by NC not to play their stars last Saturday .
still plenty of moonboots around at BBC. number 9 is out for season .

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
you will not get a team list from BBC until very late this week when they take the bandages off Veravis and the captain and see what they find underneath.
smart move by NC not to play their stars last Saturday .
still plenty of moonboots around at BBC. number 9 is out for season .

The injuries for BBC are unfortunate, but nothing beats game time experience in building combinations and cohesion within a team. Given how tight the competition is looking this season, wrapping stars in cotton wool can back fire, particularly in the early rounds, where a well drilled team could upset a team of stars. I do appreciate that some of the boys have had a hectic few weeks with the Australian Schoolboys Championships and were probably in need of a rest.

TB KingPin

Stan Wickham (3)
Keen to see the Toowoomba boys run out this weekend!
The captain and number 10 Hamish stewart is in prime form after making the Australian Barbarians team following the National School Boy championships.
The Loosehead prop also made the Australian Barbarians and has a good work load for a prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.