• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CrackaFat

With Tyrone & the Maafi(?) boy who transferred from BBC -plus a couple back from last year -it seems GT will have a star backline with -maybe- all but 9 and 10 being polynesians boys.I know 2 of them and fantastic boys.
Great for GT and comp for them to have a more multicultural team(with no boarding) .

I bet Red/Black and Red and Black do not make any posts like last year suggesting that some boys of PI heritage from other schools did not know the school war cry.
would that be right Mr Red /Black?
yeh

Terranesia will be the dark horses for the premeirship this yr

justamum

Frank Row (1)
If a Yr 11 boy is selected for the First XV, how does that work with the playing up rule? I am sure there are some of these boys who will not turn 16 till later in the year? What of them? Any thoughts. Thanks

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
If a Yr 11 boy is selected for the First XV, how does that work with the playing up rule? I am sure there are some of these boys who will not turn 16 till later in the year? What of them? Any thoughts. Thanks
There's a form that the parents sign that states if little Johnny gets snapped all is forgiven.

chips

Stan Wickham (3)
How talented is Harry Wilson!!! In the last round of GPS cricket the big GT captain hit a 35 ball 100 to demolish IGS. His second 50 coming off only 11 balls. It was the fastest 100 in GPS history and the fastest 50 in the history of 50 over cricket in Australia at any level!!! As a result, Qld Cricket and also the Brisbane Heat have this week made an approach to Harry to keep the big fella in the game, knowing he has more or less made his mind up to give rugby his full attention after leaving school. With the money that 20/20 cricket can offer and the promises the Brisbane Heat have offered him (a rookie contract next season) Harry has some serious decision making to do. He is only training with the Reds u18 at the moment, no contract has been signed, so he is not committed to anywhere. Watch this space!!!

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Country Jack

League and Rugby have happily co-existed at GPS Schools so long as Schools know their place.

Some Schools are better at knowing their place than others when the League Over Lords and obedient Parents /Kids crack the whip. The School dare not reach for that whip .........those that do run the risk of getting blacklisted.

Rugby League has done some marvellous things for their constituents at a much higher level than what Rugby has managed.

But I don't get the dog and pony show of wanting to "normalise" their top end talent in all the things that a full curriculum offers - but then balking it at with influence and advice to these kids and families that can tend to leave them as round pegs in square holes - where they never get , respect or appreciate, the bigger idea of what being placed into these Schools was meant to be about in the first place.

The order of the day seems to be a plate of narrow agenda with a side of lip service .

Ends up being a waste of everyone's time

Upstream into big Rugby too

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)
Watch for a fijian winger at Nudgee College this year. 6ft4, 96kg Winger.

As i have said before the depth at NC and TSS this year is ridiculous. I expect some cricket scores in the 2 nnd xv especially.
Be warned it will end up like NSW GPS
Poor old NC 16A players from last year will not get much of a look in. What is that -5 new boys in grade 11 at NC at about the same at TSS.
This year BBC might rue their new rule of lower grade scholarships only - but could end up better in the long run.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
According to fox sports pulse, In 2016 Nudgee finished equal 4th in 16A comp & equal 5th in 16B Comp. Not sure where this so called depth is ?? Nudgee's U16s this year have some serious depth though.
As for 16A boys from last year getting a look in- looks like a squad of around 40 still in the mix, so coaches having a good look at everyone.

Around 4 new boys in year 11 at TSS & nudgee ... - name a Gps school who hasn't dropped in at least that number... & who cares/ if you're good enough, you're good enough. The post in this thread earlier mentioning TGS & saying they will pick the new boys even if they're not the best, just to justify their recruitment. How ridiculous.. what coach would make any selection that would impact negatively on results- we're talking about massive investments in these programs and lots of pressure to get results.

Looking forward to some trials so this dribble will stop and we can talk about actual rugby.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Bad day at the office behindthescenes?
I suggest you tune out until term 2 as there's plenty of 'dribble ' to happen. It's called killing time.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

By the by. The depth at nudgee is always good and if you go back through the years of 'dribble ' you'll see the poster's have been saying '17 nudgee is going to have a stellar team......excuse my dribbling...........

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
According to fox sports pulse, In 2016 Nudgee finished equal 4th in 16A comp & equal 5th in 16B Comp. Not sure where this so called depth is ?? Nudgee's U16s this year have some serious depth though.
As for 16A boys from last year getting a look in- looks like a squad of around 40 still in the mix, so coaches having a good look at everyone.

Around 4 new boys in year 11 at TSS & nudgee . - name a Gps school who hasn't dropped in at least that number. & who cares/ if you're good enough, you're good enough. The post in this thread earlier mentioning TGS & saying they will pick the new boys even if they're not the best, just to justify their recruitment. How ridiculous.. what coach would make any selection that would impact negatively on results- we're talking about massive investments in these programs and lots of pressure to get results.

Looking forward to some trials so this dribble will stop and we can talk about actual rugby.

What I was implying was if you have a import and a non import who are both challenging for the same spot and can't be split on ability they will always favor the import. Those running the Rugby Programs need to be able to justify the expense in the first place otherwise the taps may get turned off. Looks pretty bad with you don't use the investment.

Blanco

Ward Prentice (10)
What I was implying was if you have a import and a non import who are both challenging for the same spot and can't be split on ability they will always favor the import. Those running the Rugby Programs need to be able to justify the expense in the first place otherwise the taps may get turned off. Looks pretty bad with you don't use the investment.

Agree 100%, self interest and self preservation will prevail. No question. Anyone who doesn't believe that is guileless and dewy - eyed.

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)

BTS -you are a genius for looking at the under 16 table BUT you forget to add:
7 or 8 boys from last years 1stxv;
4 odd from from last years 2nd xv.

11 plus 4 new boys = a rugby team .

If that is not depth-then your a hard man/idiot.

If TSS 2nd xv do not win more than a few games by + 60 -I will salute as a rugby genius.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)

Countryjack, just out of interest, how many of this year's NC First XV would you expect to be turning 18 in 2017?

I assume that as usual TSS will have a high proportion of 18yo's this year?

Countryjack

Alfred Walker (16)

Countryjack, just out of interest, how many of this year's NC First XV would you expect to be turning 18 in 2017?

Galloper
I am a TSS man -and yes we developed(in 2002) the 2 year- grade 12 system so many of the boys are 18.
Not sure about NC -I think it will be less than TSS who have 7 or 8 who will be 18.
Looking through the records over the last decade ,the 2nd xv comp has really been a 2 horse race between TSS & NC. (as is 16A)
I think that is disappointing.BUT if you don't have many injuries you can still win 1st xv:
2016. BSHS 2nds were woeful & GT were ordinary;
2015 ACGS 2nd xv were poor.

in those years TSS 2nd xv were undefeated.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Agree 100%, self interest and self preservation will prevail. No question. Anyone who doesn't believe that is guileless and dewy - eyed.

I'm not convinced and I'd like to think of myself as not particularly guileless or dewy-eyed.

Those you might call "failed investments" do play Second XV. It's happened in the past three years at BBC, TSS, NC, IGS and BGS - those being the cases I can remember off the top of my head.

First XV coaches are judged on win-loss records. If the 16Bs flyhalf last year gives the team the best chance of winning, best believe he gets picked over the freak athlete who can't run a gameplan.

Schools write open cheques (of course how open depends on which school is writing) and aren't too fussed about which boy plays where, just so long as the GPS Rugby trophy sits on the mantlepiece.

What school's don't want is $100,000s of potential earnings from potential fee-paying students being wasted on finishing sixth.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)

Country Jack - I guess your mates right, "lets not let the truth get in the way of some good "drivel".

7 or 8 from last year's 1stXV .. who? my calculation is 4
4 odd from 2ndXV ... who? I've got 1

NC 2ndXV will still be solid, particulary if a few U16s get through- but the depth in Opens isn't ridiculous.

King - you're spot on... as usual.

"self interst & self preservation will prevail" = disagree, you won't have a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.