• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Les Patterson

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone know how TGS will go against Dlands this weekend? Quite a big day in Toowoomba.

Hard to get a read on the true ability of Downlands given that they play mainly 2nd XVs through the year, but I am sure TGS will not be taking them lightly. This is one of the largest sporting events in Toowoomba every year and attracts an enormous crowd. TGS's GPS season trailed off a little at the end after a near miss against BBC and a match they should have won against Ippy,
they succumbed to Churchie and Terrace a little too convincingly leaving them with only 2 wins against BGS and BSHS. The O'Callaghan Cup is at TGS this year and I am tipping them by 5 points.

Greg Adams

Frank Nicholson (4)
Going into the final round I believe this ladder to be accurate. I would be interested to get the regular contributors thoughts on each teams and their finishing positions. My thoughts on the final round games are

TSS by 20 over ACGS - if TSS want a solo premiership it goes without saying they have to win, whilst I will tip NC to beat BSHS I do feel that it will not be an easy game for NC

BBC by 5 over GT - this could go either way, if it was at BBC I would be a lot more confident and I am aware of the BBC injuries, but if BCC want a chance of finishing tied 2nd (NC lose) they will need to pull out a big game at GT

NC by 3 over BSHS - I feel that this could be a bogey game for NC, you would think the carrot of joint premiership ( or solo on the off chance TSS get beaten) would be enough, I feel that BSHS will have something to prove this week after a disappointing loss to BGS last weekend, for mine, the most interesting game of the round

BGS by 14 over IGS - BGS finally have showed their potential winning their last 3 games, if they play like they have done recently their defence should hold out a big IGS team and come the back half of the game BGS backs should be able to create some opportunities

TGS - Bye which will leave them in last place

That would leave us with the following ladder

1 NC 14
1 TSS 14
3 BCC 12
4 BGS 8
4 GT 8
6 ACGS 4
6 BSHS 4
6 IGS 4
6 TGS 4

GPS Ladder.jpg

Drop Top

Frank Row (1)
Long time reader first time poster.

With the season almost over I pose a few questions to the GAGR experts.

1. Who's been the biggest surprise packet of the year? Can be individual or a team.

3. Whats the go with IGS rugby? Coming last for the second time in three years.

4. Is this the most open comp we've had in a number of years?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

1. Who's been the biggest surprise packet of the year? Can be individual or a team.

2. Who's been the biggest disappointment? (Remember they are just kids)

3. Whats the go with IGS rugby? Coming last for the second time in three years.

Let's not do this one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
all good. Good intentions I am sure, but I just don't want to run the risk. There have been a few loose posts of late.

two chairs

Frank Row (1)

1. Who's been the biggest surprise packet of the year? Can be individual or a team. BGS. if not for the round 1 game they blew against TGS they would have been playing for a 5 win 3 loss season this week end. This from a team many predicted would finish at the tail end.

3. Whats the go with IGS rugby? Coming last for the second time in three years. Lack of Depth

Certainly one of the most even.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Interested to hear your reply GO

GT are neck and neck with NC every year for numbers of teams participating in the comp and are competitive across ALL age groups and divisions, not just the older few.

A lot of their "top end talent" as you have described them in the past are "home grown" , ie are not as heavily reliant on imported talent as some schools and as a result have a great culture and supporter base.

Facilities are second to none.

Maybe you are referring to the First XV results?

Many on this site had them placed 3rd/4th in the betting at the start of the season , which is exactly where they will finish.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Just trying to get information on the Nudgee captain Hunt. Any relation to the other hunts. He arrived last year from where? Curious.

He's arrived from Melbourne, with no relation to "the" Hunt family.
  1. Herman Hunt (Nudgee College 2000 -> Queensland Reds 07/08)
  2. Junior Hunt (St Francis College 2001 -> QLD U20s MVP 2001)
  3. Nicky Hunt (Nudgee College 2002 -> Aus Sevens 2017/18)
  4. Karmichael Hunt (Churchie 2003 -> Reds 2015-2018)
  5. Stefano Hunt (Nudgee College 2007 -> Western Force 2008)
  6. Nigel Hunt (Nudgee College 2007 First XV)
  7. Hymel Hunt (Nudgee College 2010 -> Rabbitohs 2017)
  8. Stephen Hunt (Nudgee College 2010 -> Gallopers Prem Grade 2017)
  9. Craig Hunt (Nudgee College 2011 -> Norths Prem Grade)
  10. Tony Hunt (Nudgee College 2015 -> Reds U20s
  11. Phillip Hunt (St Pats 2015 - AIC 1 2015)
Not a Hunt by name but by family is Kirisome Auva'a (IGS 2009) who I believe currently plays for the Eels. He's moved around a bit in recent years.
I also have a feeling that the Meni brothers, Kalala (NC 2015) and TJ (NC 2016), are members of the Hunt extended family

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)

He's arrived from Melbourne, with no relation to "the" Hunt family.
  1. Herman Hunt (Nudgee College 2000 -> Queensland Reds 07/08)
  2. Junior Hunt (St Francis College 2001 -> QLD U20s MVP 2001)
  3. Nicky Hunt (Nudgee College 2002 -> Aus Sevens 2017/18)
  4. Karmichael Hunt (Churchie 2003 -> Reds 2015-2018)
  5. Stefano Hunt (Nudgee College 2007 -> Western Force 2008)
  6. Nigel Hunt (Nudgee College 2007 First XV)
  7. Hymel Hunt (Nudgee College 2010 -> Rabbitohs 2017)
  8. Stephen Hunt (Nudgee College 2010 -> Gallopers Prem Grade 2017)
  9. Craig Hunt (Nudgee College 2011 -> Norths Prem Grade)
  10. Tony Hunt (Nudgee College 2015 -> Reds U20s
  11. Phillip Hunt (St Pats 2015 - AIC 1 2017)
Not a Hunt by name but by family is Kirisome Auva'a (IGS 2009) who I believe currently plays for the Eels. He's moved around a bit in recent years.
I also have a feeling that the Meni brothers, Kalala (NC 2015) and TJ (NC 2016), are members of the Hunt extended family.

You forgot Mike

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
And I'll put my tips in a bit earlier, as someone mentioned I had forgotten to post last week's.

Picked all three but Brisbane Grammar's impressive win over Brisbane State High.

I'm cursed.

The King's Round Nine Tips (23/32 = 72%)

Nudgee College @ Brisbane State High

Nudgee will still have a sour taste in their mouths driving to Carina this weekend, the site of a 2015 ambush that cost Nudgee their 41st Premiership.

State High, through star wing Jordan Petaia, heaped more misery on Nudgee with a comeback win on Ross Oval last year (29-28) to forge a two-year winning streak over the butcher stripes.

But I don't think we'll see that streak extend into a third. State High improved markedly through the middle of the season but have descended once more into ignominy. Will a side who conceded 36-pts to Brisbane Grammar really take down a potential premiership-winner in a must-win grand final?

I really doubt it. NC by 14.

The Southport School @ Churchie

It might be a tense drive up the M1 for Southport on Saturday morning.

Neither group of supporters will have likely forgotten what happened in 2013 at this same fixture on Oaklands Parade. Southport were destined to share the Premiership with Nudgee College, and got off to a fine start to lead 24-0 at the half-time break. They went to sleep and Churchie came back to draw the match at full-time, handing Bobby Tuttle's Nudgee a solo 40th Premiership.

Churchie would go on to beat TSS 41-26 down the coast the next year, and 26-19 the following. In the past five seasons TSS have defeated Churchie just twice.

That figure will become 3/5 as Southport monster home a big score. TSS by 25.

Brisbane Boys' College @ Gregory Terrace

This should really be one of the season's most thrilling games. I think BBC have more talent across the team and should get up, but they'll be forced to fight for it.

BBC by 3

Ipswich Grammar School @ Brisbane Grammar School

The State's two oldest schools meet again. From 2013-2016, Brisbane Grammar had won just three games - two of those against Ipswich Grammar.

I remember 2013's fixture between these schools at Northgate. Western Force prop Shambeckler Vui, Wallabies lock Izack Rodda and ex-Waratahs No.8 Jamason Fa'anana-Schultz (now with Auckland's ITM Cup) spearheaded an enormous forward pack but it was North Queensland Cowboys winger Carlin Anderson who did the damage for Ipswich, breaking the line an obscene number of times to ratchet up a convincing win.

I hope this match will be the spiritual revenge for that and Brisbane Grammar can put on a bucketload of points. I'll vote with my heart and hope for a narrow 1-pt win, but I don't expect it.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Interested to hear your reply GO

GT are neck and neck with NC every year for numbers of teams participating in the comp and are competitive across ALL age groups and divisions, not just the older few.

A lot of their "top end talent" as you have described them in the past are "home grown" , ie are not as heavily reliant on imported talent as some schools and as a result have a great culture and supporter base.

Facilities are second to none.

Maybe you are referring to the First XV results?

Many on this site had them placed 3rd/4th in the betting at the start of the season , which is exactly where they will finish.

Are " home grown " classified as such from Grade 8 or 9 when they are brought in on deals ?

I mean .......a number of boys across a few age groups never were or would have been going to Terrace unless they were actively tagged.

And that's perfectly fine

I just don't think they've been well coached or developed in the under age teams

Middling

Status
Not open for further replies.