• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS Rugby 2018

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
^ Yeah I had heard the same thing

It would have to be some overhaul though considering :

1. The Schoolboy "Internationals" are traditionally played in October
  2. The mismatch in timing of AIC and GPS Rugby seasons and their associated preseasons

B3nji

Bob McCowan (2)
Agreed

All stemming from the AIC unhappiness with the bias towards GPS sides and selections through to QLD Schools. Apparently, one AIC team is unfair to all the others that miss out on selection from AIC as GPS has traditionally had 2 and sometimes 3 sides

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Any selection process is going to have issues .

If we head towards regional selection as in U12 & U15 you have for example NC, GT, BGS, MCA, Padua and St Pats all in the Met North region. How would a kid from outside these schools get a look in and then how would CQ or even Sunshine coast go playing them?

You could say the same for all the Met regions + South Coast with TSS and DD with TGS and Downlands.

Last year we saw AIC struggle with a draw against GPS3 and totally outclassed by GPS1. Lost to Combined Schools as well I think? Chairman's XV didn't win a game.

This year 2 GPS teams, 1 AIC and 1 CSS. Doesn't sound like they will be playing as teams , but with the "talent" spread evenly across 4 teams to trial against one another with the prize being a Qld 1 or 2 spot. Who divides up the "talent"?

It's more a question of which process provides the most even playing field ?

I certainly don't know.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hmmmm.

More questions than answers there is ( / end Yoda )

A lot of those points you made Nomad depends year on year

AIC , at this age group , have some pretty good talent , and , if they were to compete as an AIC Team , I reckon they would definitely beat a GPS 3 Team , would highly likely beat a GPS 2 Team ( or it would be damn close ) and would give a GPS 1 team a contest

I reckon there are at least 5 or 6 of their best 15 that genuinely deserve a berth on QLD 1 or 2 - whereas in the last few years its more like been no more than 1 or 2

Looking forward in the land of AIC the next crop look like the last few preceding years but in the current U15 Age Group there is a bit more life at Marist and Villanova in particular - so who knows

In terms of the CSS - not sure about the current Opens as to how they will shape up but there is some outstanding talent at the U16 level on the Darling Downs , on the Sunshine Coast and in Central QLD that is at least as good ( allowing for subjectivity of opinion as to where individual views lie ) whereby next year they would provide a stout challenge under the old format - similar to what last year's CSS team did who were a real surprise packet for mine - and who did have a couple of kids who I thought were very unlucky in the selection process

I am guessing that the QRSA will be charge of the thermo mix of " four even teams" where this process will be syncing into and building off a strategic alignment of under age State Champs , U15 JGC and U16 National Champs that has been fairly disparate and disconnected from Opens Schoolboys

If this is right this isn't so much of a bad thing and on one hand is commendable with a number of operational efficiencies you don't have to be Einstein to see . You just hope that it isn't harder getting off the list than it is to get on it , in that , there may be an accidental tendency to pre-ordain under such a system

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
What’s with the upper case Serge ?

But as to your question that’s like asking Marty McFly if he’s chicken

I have in fact posted an opening book and had a few updates , and whilst I’m feeling pretty good after picking the rattle and hum of the AIC market like a Nose ( shortening the Maristinians as the sure thing right before their loss to Iona ) I am reserving my next update until Sunday morning

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Whispers are that the current QLD Schoolboys pathway (GPS, AIC, CSS) could disappear in 2019 with onus to be placed back on the regions to form the pathway to QLD Schools selection - i.e. U18 QSSRU Carnival to select the sides from - Met North, South Coast, Peninsula etc

Should happen in 2019 but will definitely be the case in 2020. Will end up with 10 teams at the trials but probably only 4-5 being competitive.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Might just be fitter and better prepared ;)

Bring it on for young and old.. QLD GPS 2018!

GREEN

WHITE

BLACK

2018 is the year for BBC!!

Having said that.......Crikey...GT have some serious meat in their forward pack this year from the look of the photos.

BASSO

Bob McCowan (2)
Might just be fitter and better prepared ;)

Bring it on for young and old.. QLD GPS 2018!

GREEN
WHITE
BLACK

2018 is the year for BBC!!

BBC will only win when they actually decide to pick the best team, stop listening to emailing parents with agendas, get some school spirit back and respect for the jersey and stop worrying about making GPS 1 OR 2 and or QLD Teams and actually playing for the school instead of themselves, then we can start the war cry. Until then we will go to places like Nudgee, Southport, GT and walk away asking why we can't win.

Reactions: vac

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
BBC up by a couple of tries over BSHS, the other 2 halves GTvBSHS and GTvBBC were all square.

All the rugby I saw looked very willing but not exactly expansive, the back fields at TSS are very narrow and the outside backs didn't see a lot of early ball.

Saw a little of Churchie v TSS , but missed the end score , Churchie gave it a crack, they definitely scrap well!

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
BBC will only win when they actually decide to pick the best team, stop listening to emailing parents with agendas, get some school spirit back and respect for the jersey and stop worrying about making GPS 1 OR 2 and or QLD Teams and actually playing for the school instead of themselves, then we can start the war cry. Until then we will go to places like Nudgee, Southport, GT and walk away asking why we can't win.

Or failing all of that, just try to score more points than the opposition 1st XV

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
So GT are the new Keebra Park of GPS doing home stay & billeting for rugby stars.The new boy from WA looks the goods.
Distinctly polynesian look about the GT backline now.What a change from days gone by -but good to see.