• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think he's coming in from Japan. Well he's here, but played in Japan last, so waiting for clearance from them.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure if anyone cares but Ben Coridas is off the Jeeps this year. Interesting sidenote Josefa Davui - winger/centre for Norths Devils QCup team is running around at Yoku too - if he can learn the technical aspects of the game well, I am thinking that this guy will be pretty good too - physically, there are no guys at jeeps that match his raw athleticism and power.

T

TheTruth

Hear that young school leaver Sam Cox is being seriously consider at 10 for Gold Coast Breakers - that'll be an initiation for the young fells

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
And from Tigertown.....Haven't had any real updates but the big loss this year will be James Charalambous, who is going into early retirement due to a horrible run of injuries. Scarce on the ground for Reds but Quirk and Toua have appeared in the top team and will be good value at Prem level. In addition, Matt Brandon and Joel Faulkner have had some Qld A experience. Not sure of Matt's committments out west, but he will leave a hole if he stays out there....hopefully he is back. Joel F is my tip for a guy who will make an impact at club level as an outside back.

I'll back the Tigers for top four in 2011.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
nah, not to the 17th. Plenty of trial games though including GPS v Uni at Albany Creek.

D

Doc

Caught the Wests v Easts trial. Will be a long year again for Wests. Easts ran a 'squad' and looked ok at times, but seems to be short in some key positions. First trial so can't take too much out of it. Refereeing surpassed Munro's for the worst performance of the weekend.

T

TheTruth

Went along to Sunshine Coast v Gold Coast trial match on Sat. Big Garrick has plenty to do with his mob. Defence was horrible. First half was about 45 to 7 to Sunny Coast with Goldie players absolutely pussies showing zero heart. Second half was won by the White Shoe boys and they showed plenty of ticker and mongrel simply because a few boys interchanged. If the Goldie's are going to be competitive then selections need to be based on performance and not favourtism (as has been the problem on the Coast for years).

Young Cox (Sam) played 10 in first half and was just out of depth with the big boys. Kid is great but for heavens sake let him get confidence etc etc in Colts before throwing him to the bloody wolves. Gold Coast Colts won fairly convincingly and am told that Sean Cox was a standout at centre.

Sunny Coast looked sharp and speed to burn out wide - played an expansive game and blew their southern rivals off the park in first half. They will be hard to beat this year (again)

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
James Kite ran out for GPS against Uni. Great to see him back playing after what he's been through. According to my source, he took some stopping - As big and as strong as ever.

T

TheTruth

Gold Coast Breakers v Sunnybank to night at Coomera.

If Garrick Morgan does not motivate the boys it will be like the killing floor of an abortoir. They need to muscle up and show some mongrel, passion and a will to win. Undersatnd the young lad Cox will be thrust into the fray again. Bloody ridiculous to chuck in the deep end AGAIN after the performance on Sat against Sunny Coast. Better to "blood" the lad slowly and let him absorb the extra speed toughness etc at his pace otherwise may ruin the lad.

ikaletahi

Herbert Moran (7)
Phil Kite is ineligible to play grade football until he turns 18 - which is about a month away - I am certain that this rule applies only to front rowers, which is why a few young fellas ie backs, backrowers were running around on the weekend. I dont think that is entirely a bad thing though...
James 'the bus' Kite is his older brother...coming back from his second serious achilles tendon (?) injury...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Phil Kite is ineligible to play grade football until he turns 18 - which is about a month away - I am certain that this rule applies only to front rowers, which is why a few young fellas ie backs, backrowers were running around on the weekend. I dont think that is entirely a bad thing though...
James 'the bus' Kite is his older brother...coming back from his second serious achilles tendon (?) injury...

Oh i see. Love the nick name.

W

WB15

Wests have been runnign 'squads' and not proper teams during trials. they have a good lot of players. just to young average age of 23

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.qru.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/2170/Default.aspx

Queensland’s Premier Rugby competition has been officially launched for 2011 with a new Naming Rights Sponsor to help take the game to new heights.

Queensland Rugby Union has announced Strategic Airlines will sponsor the competition in 2011 to become the Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby competition.

Queensland Rugby’s General Manager for Community Rugby, David Hanham,
welcomed Strategic Airlines involvement in the Community game.

“Rugby is growing across Queensland in participation and support and it is satisfying to see our corporate partners recognising that also. Strategic Airlines will gain access to our community rugby stakeholders to promote their services and create meaningful partnerships.”

As part of their Naming Rights sponsorship agreement Strategic Airlines will build relationships with each of the Clubs including signage opportunities and the promotion of their many Queensland, Australian and overseas services.

Former Brothers and Queensland B fullback Paul O'Brien, now Strategic Airlines' National Commercial and Resources Manager, said the agreement signals the airline’s strong interest in Queensland Rugby and the Code in general.

“As an emerging airline we wanted to support emerging players of the future and the premier grade competition allows us to do this,” he said.

“We believe in the future of Rugby and we understand that the Community game in Queensland is perhaps Australia’s best breeding ground for Australian talent.

“The Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby competition is the elite end of that Community game, producing Reds and Wallaby players of the future. We are also pleased to be able to maximise exposure of our brand throughout Queensland in such an important competition.”

Queensland Premier Rugby evolved out of the Brisbane club competition and was created by players, administrators, referees and coaches to expand and improve the top level of Queensland non-professional rugby.

The competition provides a stepping stone to Super Rugby or other professional rugby competitions.

In 2011 the Strategic Airlines Premier Rugby Competition involves eight teams from Brisbane and one each from the rugby regions of the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. University were the 2010 Premiers.

The participating clubs and regions in QPR are:
Brothers Souths
Easts Sunnybank
Rugby Gold Coast Sunshine Coast Stingrays
GPS University
North Brisbane Wests

The Strategic Airlines Queensland Premier Rugby Competition officially kicks off on the 30th of April.

Status
Not open for further replies.