• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie

Bob McCowan (2)
Yep, Con Foley has a sevens contract for next season. He's played both 12 and 13 for Uni this year and been really good, particularly in defence where he makes really good reads and rarely misses. In Attack he's got a good direct game, but is skillful enough to make the most of wide opportunities. At the moment he wieghs in the mid to high eighties, but he has a big frame to fill out yet, so I think he could easily play in the 95KG plus range in a few years without losing his natural speed. He's also a top team man who plays his guts out every week. So all in all a great prospect - a must for the U20s I would have thought.

Matt

Frank Row (1)
This weekend

Who will get up? The Red heavies or the team heavy with Reds? Much of muchness I suppose. Are Uni pullin extra sessions after seeing the Bank on Sunday? No doubt the boys have heaps to play for, and they will be told that in no uncertain terms. 100 years, Halle passing away....and the fact that a win will allow them to play the grand final should be enough motivation without the rest.

I like all the talk that has happened about clubs doing it tough with cash, players etc.. ALL clubs in Qld at some point in time have struggled. Even the ones doing well now. They are cashed up for a reason. People have already mentioned this and it is the whingers at the clubs who are struggling who should do something about it. Yes, Yes we all know your clubs are struggling, but again I say, if you are an active member of the club, YOU are the one who can make the changes to move it forward.
It is what the successful clubs did many years ago, and look at them now. Makes sense to move forward.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Who will get up? The Red heavies or the team heavy with Reds? Much of muchness I suppose. Are Uni pullin extra sessions after seeing the Bank on Sunday? No doubt the boys have heaps to play for, and they will be told that in no uncertain terms. 100 years, Halle passing away....and the fact that a win will allow them to play the grand final should be enough motivation without the rest.

I like all the talk that has happened about clubs doing it tough with cash, players etc.. ALL clubs in Qld at some point in time have struggled. Even the ones doing well now. They are cashed up for a reason. People have already mentioned this and it is the whingers at the clubs who are struggling who should do something about it. Yes, Yes we all know your clubs are struggling, but again I say, if you are an active member of the club, YOU are the one who can make the changes to move it forward.
It is what the successful clubs did many years ago, and look at them now. Makes sense to move forward.

It sounds like you are describing the the same team Matt.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
ALL clubs in Qld at some point in time have struggled. Even the ones doing well now.

Fair point, there was an email going round Sunnybank reflecting on where they were 10 years ago. They had no club house to speak of, were $70,000 in debt and had one kid they hoped to be the future running around in colts called Peter Hynes. He was told during that year that he will never play for the Reds from Sunnybank, so he went elsewhere.

If I recall correctly uni have had some pretty shocking years through the mid-00s too.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Interestly, and I hope I have been mis-informed, but I believe a couple of our colts from the Breakers are moving north so that they get more exposure. This is exactly what we don't need, quality players looking elsewhere. I don't believe there is any money involved but as I am not even sure of the facts, I cannot say too much.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interestly, and I hope I have been mis-informed, but I believe a couple of our colts from the Breakers are moving north so that they get more exposure. This is exactly what we don't need, quality players looking elsewhere. I don't believe there is any money involved but as I am not even sure of the facts, I cannot say too much.

Maybe they are following the departing coach who is also heading nth.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
this may test the memory of a few.......can anyone tell me whatever happened to a kid by the name of James Waterman? He played Oz Schools a few years back now, was in Reds Academy. I remember watching Oz Schools the year he played....2007 I think. He ripped it up. Was a really good second rower.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He never took up his spot in the Reds academy as he did a GAP year, from what I heard. I don't think he has lased on a boot in anger since. I think he may have had a few injury issues at school too. Shoulder trouble if I recall correctly. Him and Simmo where the QLD and Aust locks that year with Waterman being rated higher than Simmo before the Schoolboys tour but Rob had some good games in the Pacific and NZ to probably pip James by the end of the year.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
James actually played a few games for Uni in 2008 after he came back from overseas but picked up another injury and haven't heard of him playing since

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Now that you mention it I think I did hear that. Was talk about the Brumbies having some interest in him too.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Line ups for this weekends knock out prelim final:

University

1. Kevin Davies
24. Mitchell Wade
3. David Howard
4. Jordan Chapman
5. Timothy Buchanan
6. David McDuling
7. Villi Fainga'a
8. Matthew Arvier
9. William Thompson
10. Ian Prior
11. Tevita Kuridrani
12. Herman Porter
13. Cornelius Foley
14. Rod Davies
15. Luke Morahan

25. Scott Kelly
17. Samuel Cochrane
18. Lyall Fidow
19. Adam Preocanin
20. Harry Elliott
21. Tom Tuffley
22. William Tuffley
23. George Morseu Sunnybank

1. Albert Anae
2. Benjamin Fox
3. Greg Holmes
4. James Kriukelis
5. Adam Wallace-Harrison
6. Nigel Ah Wong
7. Benjamin Adams
8. Jake Schatz
9. Ben Lucas
10. Shalom Sunila
11. Shane Seiuli
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Rex Tapuai
14. Rota Setu
15. Richard Kingi

16. Paul Alo-Emile
17. Andrew Petelo
18. Bradley Elms
19. Matt Lucas
20. Liam Gill
21. Semiti Tela
22. Peter Lee
23. Jason Hofmeyr

Have to say that Sunnybank actually looks the stronger team on paper, particularly in the forwards with Gill and Alo-Emilie on the bench. Halves with Lucas and Sunila look the goods as well, and Tapuai at 12 will be a key player.Potent back three for Uni though, lots of tryscoring potential there in Davies, Morahan and Kuridrani. Just looking at the Uni teamsheet it would appear that they aren't without their share of injuries.

That Sunila must come from a talented family. Are they his two brothers in the US World Cup team?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Yes his 2 older brothers play for the US. He's in the USA 7's squad himself and was in the pre RWC squad but didn't make the cut. The family is from American Samoa so they qualify for the US.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Considering a week ago everyone thought Uni were going to run away with the comp the support has died off quite a bit.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Considering a week ago everyone thought Uni were going to run away with the comp the support has died off quite a bit.

That's the way we like it. Yes, Uni currently have more than their fair share of injuries, but no one's complaining- we'll put the best teams we can out there in both Prems & Reserve Grade, and play as well as we can. If we lose this weekend it'll be because we were outplayed by a quality side, not because we couldn't put our much-discussed big names on the paddock.

L

League Legend

Sunnybank to win the battle up front early and shut uni out of the game. Uni back three wont see enough ball to pose any threat. the banks side is just quality from 1 through to 15. And if things turn pear shaped for them, they can unleash Liam Gill from the bench. For Uni, Ian Prior is a 9 rather than a 10 and i think Will Tuffley at fullback is a better option- his kicking games is one of the best in the comp. however they have been through too much and are the defending champs so they've got what it takes.

League Legend tips Sunnybank by 22.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
There's a number of us who have been saying for a while that Sunnybank were the dark horse, particularly with their rep players coming back.

I think it will be a cracker of a game this afternoon with the winner the favourite to win next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.