• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
Sorry guys, just getting the score updates from someone at the game, don't know the details except Seuili, Ben Lucas, Setu and Sunila scored tries.

I know there were a couple more because the score updates stopped between Sunnybank 16-8 and 33-8

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Just back from the game. Quite disappointing actually. Uni looked to be out of sorts, and after a reasonably close first 20 minutes Sunnybank went into overdrive and never looked back. It was a bloody hot day and maybe that had something to do with it. Sunnybank forwards dominated both the set piece and breakdown. Probably not hard to imagine given the S15 guys in the forward pack. Wallace-Harrison and Schatz stood out and Gill was in everything when he came on. Ben Lucas was good as was Kingi, and the Bank backs played with a lot of width. Uni backs got very little good ball, given the pummeling their forwards got.

Brothers will have their job cut out for them next week.

swillo5

Bob McCowan (2)
So dragons have 4 out of 5 grades in the grand final (the top 4 grades). The other grade made the semis.

2 out of 3 colts teams made the prelim final as did the women's team.

Uni have only 2nd and 4th grade in the grand final.

Can someone please explain to me how on earth the dragons aren't club champions? Results speak for themselves and they are clearly the best club in brisbane. It seems like a flawed system.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Thanks for the 'colourful' pic - i think!!!!!
Yeah I went the bank. Thought the Uni might have run out of steam, so to speak.
Should be an interesting game next weekend - hope to make it there.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting weekend with all of the losing teams from last weekends Major semi-finals going down. Be interesting to see if all these emerging teams will be able to close the gap on the top teams that have had a weeks rest.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
So dragons have 4 out of 5 grades in the grand final (the top 4 grades). The other grade made the semis.

2 out of 3 colts teams made the prelim final as did the women's team.

Uni have only 2nd and 4th grade in the grand final.
Can someone please explain to me how on earth the dragons aren't club champions? Results speak for themselves and they are clearly the best club in brisbane. It seems like a flawed system.

The club champs points are a sum of all points accumulated during the season (eg- win with a bonus point=5 points, lose with a bonus point=1 point etc). The total for the club is added up. Because it's at the end of the regular season, and rightly or wrongly Uni finished minor premiers in Premier grade, 2nd grade, Colts 2, and then 2nd in 1st grade, 4th grade & Prem colts and finished 3rd in Colts 1 & women's also, they won the club champs.

Uni has GF teams in Colts 2, Colts 1, Prem colts, 4th grade & 2nd grade.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting weekend with all of the losing teams from last weekends Major semi-finals going down. Be interesting to see if all these emerging teams will be able to close the gap on the top teams that have had a weeks rest.

I never thought of that- there's only 1 exception: Uni 4th grade went down last weekend and snuck the win on Saturday.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I was out there yesterday to see our colts get up on the bell for the second week in a row. Great game. Both forward packs took a battering from each other and also from the 35 degree heat. Sam and Sean Cox led the backline well and there was another Lucas that led the way for the Bank. Roll on next week v the Uni boys.
In the main game the Bank pack were once again totally dominant. Uni missed Hansen badly in both scrum and lineout. Uni were never in the game with the Sunnybank backline making the most from good service from Lucas and Sunila. Uni were lucky the score didn't blowout further. A couple of hits from Holmes and PAE were classics and Shatz and Gill picked up the crumbs all day. It was so hot I felt sorry for the players and I am sure Wallace-Harrison lost his radar a couple of times. Bank to beat Brothers

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just back from the game. Quite disappointing actually. Uni looked to be out of sorts, and after a reasonably close first 20 minutes Sunnybank went into overdrive and never looked back.

Spectator can you give reasons for your disappointment?
Disappointed Uni Lost?
Disappointed the bank won?
Disappointed it was hot?

By all media accounts it was a cracker of a game with something like 8/9 tries scored.

nesty

Frank Row (1)
Unfortunately Swillo5 has made a number of blatantly incorrect statements. If seeing

Does it warm the cockles of anyone else's heart to see Souths pick up the wooden spoon? So arrogant for so long and now a shambles - both at the top and throughout the club. Brings a smile to an old timer who suffered at the hands of magpie arrogance for many years. Hard to see them improving any time soon with no money, ordinary colts, dwindling juniors and in an area with little rugby development/future. They made a prems GF (and won a colts GF) a couple of years ago as a direct result of handing out $$$$. Now the dollars have gone and so have the players. Perhaps I am too old and too cynical and remeber too readily the arrogance of the Souths of the 90's but like no other club I enjoy watching the magpies demise.

My tip is that Souths will be in the cellar or thereabouts on a regular basis for the next decade (as GPS did through the 80's and Norths through the last 20 years).

K

Keithy

swillo5 if you have the cash you can spend any way you like, the sport is professional.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Just back from the game. Quite disappointing actually. Uni looked to be out of sorts, and after a reasonably close first 20 minutes Sunnybank went into overdrive and never looked back.

Disappointed Uni Lost?
Disappointed it was hot?

By all media accounts it was a cracker of a game with something like 8/9 tries scored.

My team was on the wrong end of a touch-up by a bloody good club side. Not only are they a bloody good side, they are also a top bunch of blokes. Admittedly I don't know all of them well, the ones I do know are loyal men who are passionate about playing club rugby with their mates.

How one of the best props in Australian rugby is available to play his club GF this weekend is an absolute mystery to me, however Sunnybank is stronger and the Wallabies are weaker for it.

Good luck to Sunnybank this weekend.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Disappointed Uni Lost?
Disappointed it was hot?

I was disappointed because I was expecting a closely fought, high quality tussle. I've watched both these sides a few times this year and know what each is capable of. Sunnybank certainly brought their A game to the contest but for mine, as I said, Uni looked to be a little out of sorts. Whether it was the heat, the fact that a few key players were out, the intensity of the match against Brothers the week before or something else I don't know, I have seen Uni play a lot better. Perhaps Sunnybank's dominance didn't allow Uni to play as well as they could but the reality is that they were comprehensively owned all over the park, and that did surprise me.

My comments weren't intended to slight the players, I'm sure they all gave it their best, nor was I belittling Sunnybank's effort. People in the media may well have thought it was a cracker of a game, I just didn't think so.

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well I think it was Forrest Gump who said life is like a box of chocolates, you never know which one you will get or something to that effect.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Most people seem to be tipping a big win by Sunnybank tomorrow but I think it will be a lot closer than most expect. Brothers have been in good form most of the year, except for the last 2 rounds, and will put up a strong fight. They aren't a team of star players but they will fight to stay in the game until the end.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and they have an excellent coach! I'm tipping Brothers here although I can't remember who I tipped in the competition.

Mr Tank

Herbert Moran (7)
For those who haven't heard (and want to know), Sunnybank won 35-24. I don't know the details I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.