• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
HI Guys,

So from what I have seen it looks like everyone has written off GPS and Brothers already.

I think that is a little premature given that GPS have beaten Sunnybank both times they have played them this year. And both times Sunnybank had a number of their star studded players on the field.

GPS are in good form and I think if they can start well its going to be game on!!!!

The Filth are up against it Vs Uni but I still think it could be closer than first thought.

Finals football is an interesting beast and I think there could be an upset on the cards.

Thoughts???

If Samo was playing I would have no doubt in putting a lazy Hawaiin on GPS. They grow a foot taller and sprout an extra leg when he plays. However I still think they're up for it and have the capacity to surprise. They are fit, they are close and they are happy and they are a good little team with nothing to lose by being written off by most - Go the Gallopers

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Triplet et al I think you'll find the only people writing GPS & Brothers off are people not associated with Uni & Sunnybank (I'll also include GPS & Brothers here).

I agree completely with your sentiments- finals Footy is a different beast altogether, and the best part about all clubs in the finals is that they know they are going to face a team (eg Uni, Brothers) not 23 individuals with famous or semi-famous names (eg Shipperley, Morahan). In other words, reputations mean nothing. They're all tough teams to play.

country rugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
i will admit that i have only bermingham play a few times (club and last year at school) in all those times i believe that the hype didnt quite match the performance he gave. if you are going to cite his age as a reasom for his play, might i remind you that props playing premier rugby straight out of school is not all that uncommon anymore... david feao (bshs, oz schools) played for souths gf team straight out of school and acquited himself very well...PAE is another example too and to a lesser extent phil kite who has been getting minutes at gps too.
i am not trying to be disrespectful of you and others pov but i just cant see what everyone raves about him so much - i stand steadfast in my point that if i had to choose between who i would have put in the academy between and PAE (or even the palupe twins or kite) well.. there would be no choice quite frankly.
anyway he'll probably prove me wrong now and go on to play a 100 tests haha
my tip for the finals --- the mighty gallopers to make the grandy (dont want to sound too cocky now lol so i wont predict a premiership...yet)
You really don't like this young fellow do you. I noticed that you were upset when they announced he was in the academy last year instead of PAE. I think he is developing quite well as a prop and does a lot around the field that a lot of props don't. Out-propped Dave Feao a few weeks back and has been holding his own until the game at sunnybank last week. Would like to see some of your favourites go up against Greg holmes for 80 minutes, he can hold his head high, did fine for a 19 year old, but there are always those who want to bring players down, anonymously.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Am I right in assuming the finals are to be played on sunday while Wallabies are playing first WC game?? I know Logan are playing 3-4 final on sunday morning. I sincerely hope there are no games on afterwards, as teams may struggle for support. I cannot even believe the finals are on while WC is on, the ridiculous late start to season is the reason I know, but shows a lack of planning in QRU, as the WC starting dates has been known for a few years.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Righto, no more talk about Easts for 2011, season is over.

Be good to get a bit of a run down of each of the sides competing in the Finals series from some of their supporters.

I know most of us see a Uni v Bank Grand Final as almost inevitable but that conclusion is pretty easy to arrive at when you see the quality in both sides. I would actually like to see one of Brothers or GPS do well, support for the underdog and all that.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
The season finishes now so that we don't have players leaving for Sydney so that they are still playing when Wallabies are looking for players to cover injuries/call ups. The club comp is designed to support player development, not your social calendar.

L

League Legend

What a load of rubbish. Club season should be over by now. The world cup is the Pinnacle of the year. By having an overlap it takes away interest and support for both club finals and the wc. I know of players who are going the new Zealand who can't play finals from several clubs and the interest in the premier grand final, both media and Actual supporters on game day, willbe diminished. The wallaby have already selected their thirty and I doubt will look outside that for back up.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The overlap is a good chance for the clubs to put on a fundraising function using the RWC as an advantage to draw crowds for a social event after the game.

Marshall09

Frank Row (1)
Righto, no more talk about Easts for 2011, season is over.

Be good to get a bit of a run down of each of the sides competing in the Finals series from some of their supporters.

I know most of us see a Uni v Bank Grand Final as almost inevitable but that conclusion is pretty easy to arrive at when you see the quality in both sides. I would actually like to see one of Brothers or GPS do well, support for the underdog and all that.

I think it would be great to get a run down about the teams in the finals and who ppl think are the players to watch in each team and the game winners???

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The season finishes now so that we don't have players leaving for Sydney so that they are still playing when Wallabies are looking for players to cover injuries/call ups. The club comp is designed to support player development, not your social calendar.

What a load of codswallop, how many players actually go to Sydney each year,I would be surprised if it thet many, and how many players are lost to perhaps League because our season starts so late, I know it maybe in lower grades but it happens. My social calender has nothing to do with it, and an arrogant smartarse reply like yours only confirms to me that perhaps that there are some not quite prepared to think that there maybe other points of views by rugby people who are as concerned about the game as yourself. Also how does season starting later help player development?? Also by having season earlier wouldn't it help to have players ready to cover for Reds?

L

League Legend

Somehow this thread keeps getting pushed off course that is upcoming premier rugby teams and games. However dan is right. Happy jack's comments reek of a closed minded individual. How many players leave for Sydney each yeAr? And how has starting late and finishing late aided player development? And sorry mate but it does affect my social calendar. I know I'll be at the Pub with my mates watching the wallabies on Sunday rather than heading out to ballymore.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
In trying to keep the forum on topic and answer your questions. Sunnybank and Uni will field numerous contracted players this weekend. Some of these players come from the Force, Rebels and Brumbies. It is normal for the majority of players from these teams and some Reds to play in Sydney meaning that the depth of the Qld comp is weakened. These guys are looking for Rugby to push their cause and if we had finished with the GF last weekend, the last comp game would have been in early August, almost 2 months before Sydney finishes. Rather than a lack of planning from the QRU the push to align with Sydney came from Ewen himself as he fielded numerous requests in 2010 from players seeking releases to play in Sydney to push their Wallaby selection case when we did finish early. There are at least 3 players I know of who are being assessed for not only the RWC still (Deans made Tapuai cancel his holidays) but for selection for the Spring tour where i suspect some key players who had heavy loads may be rested. Club Rugby has been played while the RWC went on in 1987 (Aust & NZ) and 1995 (RSA) while lower grades and the ARC overlapped with 2007. The window for those clubs such as GPS and Logan who have cricket as shared tenants is April - September so this window provides for a better distribution of home and away games for these clubs (even with the late start this year GPS had to play a game at Albany Creek). The later start also allows for amateur players to undergo a more extensive pre-season which prepares them physically for the season. No one is knocking either of you guys for your choices but to bag the QRU as Dan did or take aim at me simply because there may be a logic behind the decision are not the actions of open minded individuals. If you are about developing players the structure for this year fits better. If its about having a game, some fun and a beer (all good parts of Rugby), then I agree, the timing matters little.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Cheers happyjack, mate I not taking aim at you by any means over the decision, just your comment that rugby season is planned for player development not my Social Calender, I will be at Ballymore on sunday, but after Logan play instead of watching more games I will be heading home to watch test. We will agree to differ though on player how it will help player development, as I have yet to see figures that say there how many players go to Sydney. With S15 going until September next year, I certainly hope decision is revisited. Rugby development also involves below Prems, and I know it cost Union a number of players. I also can guarantee that Logan, who you mention as having problem with shared grounds did not want season to be played late. I know none of the QRU will be watching Wallabies play live on sunday, they will be at Ballymore, but it worries me that some clubs will not have normal support. In saying this I myself have spent about 30 years in rugby admin , so know sometimes it easy to feel that critism is all you get in job, but I really feel with rugby struggling at times for support it important for us all to get people out supporting club as well as Wallabies and Reds.

Right after getting that off chest can I say, Good Luck to all teams in finals games, enjoy the occasion!!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Teams for the Weekend

Minor Semi 3:05 Ballymore

Sunnybank

1. Greg Holmes
2. Albert Anae
3. Nathan Byrne
4. James Kriukelis
5. Adam Wallace-Harrison
6. Nigel Ah Wong
7. Benjamin Adams
8. Jake Schatz
9. Ben Lucas
10. Shalom Sunila
11. Shane Seiuli
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Rex Tapuai
14. Rota Setu
15. Richard Kingi
Benjamin Fox
Paul Alo-Emile
Bradley Elms
Liam Gill
Peter Samu
Peter Lee
Semiti Tela
Jason Hofmeyr

GPS

1. Jean-Pierre Smith
2. Liam Ferguson
3. Ruan Smith
4. Mitchell Carpenter
5. Daniel Gorman
6. Jonathan Ellis
7. Mogi Wei
8. Gavin Murphy
9. Curtis Franks
10. Patrick Smith
11. Todd Winkley
12. James Herbert
13. Namila Davui
14. Byron Roberts
15. Joshua Logan
Joshua Pszczonka
Phillip Kite
Joao Caldeira-Santos
Damian Stower
Sione Kite
Patrick Selwood
Anthony Graham
Kris Martinick

Major Semi 5:30 Ballymore

Uni

1. Kevin Davies
24. Mitchell Wade
3. David Howard
4. Jordan Chapman
5. Timothy Buchanan
6. David McDuling
7. Villi Fainga'a
8. Adam Preocanin
9. William Thompson
10. Ian Prior
11. Tevita Kuridrani
12. Herman Porter
13. Cornelius Foley
14. Rod Davies
15. Luke Morahan
Scott Kelly
Samuel Cochrane
Lyall Fidow
Matthew Arvier
Simione Sawene
Harry Elliott
Tom Tuffley
William Tuffley

Brothers

1. Ernest Skelton
2. Andrew Coady
3. Adrian Dixon
4. Matthew Dews
5. James Carter
6. Simon Price
7. Charles Freney
8. Ryan Schultz
9. Sam Grasso
10. Dallan Murphy
11. Dominic Shipperley
12. Nathanuel Gendle
13. Anthony Sauer
14. Anthony Pyers
15. Angus Cameron
16. Dustin Henegan
17. Cameron Massie
18. Corey Meehan
19. Wayne Maki
20. Sinave Fonoti
21. Matthew Smith
22. Lachlan Creighton
23. Mitchell Felsman

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If this rain hold up then I think it could bring the games on the weekend a lot closer and could even assist in an upset.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The guys who have been there all year are doing a good job plus they can have a great impact off the bench in the second half. That's my guess at least.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
GPS

1. Jean-Pierre Smith
2. Liam Ferguson
3. Ruan Smith
4. Mitchell Carpenter
5. Daniel Gorman
6. Jonathan Ellis
7. Mogi Wei
8. Gavin Murphy
9. Curtis Franks
10. Patrick Smith
11. Todd Winkley
12. James Herbert
13. Namila Davui
14. Byron Roberts
15. Joshua Logan
Joshua Pszczonka
Phillip Kite
Joao Caldeira-Santos
Damian Stower
Sione Kite
Patrick Selwood
Anthony Graham
Kris Martinick

I was hoping that Ikalaheti or another GPS supporter might give us a run down of the players here. I've only seen GPS play a couple of times and the players I've noticed most are the Smith brothers in the front row, Caldeira-Santos the reserve hooker and Mogi Wei, the nuggety breakaway. Not to say the others aren't worth a mention, just don't know who they are. Quite a young backline and the 10. Smith seems to have a good head for a young bloke. I notice Franks is the halfback. Not bad to have that experience around finals time. Is Frisby (I think that's his name) injured? He looked impressive from what I've seen.

They will be the underdogs but good luck to them on Sunday!

L

League Legend

looking at brothers team i think they can do it this weekend. they have finals experience, physicality and speed- everything needed to stop the uni machine. Also they have a 10 who directs his team around the park. i just think their centres lack punch is only weakness.. should be good game.

P.s this doesnt make me a filth supporter- but i do think they have been prematurely written off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom