• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Great to see the banks attempt to buy the premiership has failed again this year. They've been useless all season and yeah they finally turned it around on the weekend but only once they brought most of their salaried reds players into the team. Tough luck boys. Thats a fair bit of money down the drain to not even make finals. See ya next year :D

Up the tiges

Part of the issue I have with Club rugby in Brisbane is the constant bickering and infighting between clubs. The reason that there is no third tier comp is the fact that everyone is just focused on there own self interest and not what is the best interests of the game.

For rugby to take a bigger piece of the sporting landscape in Brisbane we need all clubs to be financially viable operations. Your comments seem to suggest that Sunnybank should be looked down on because they have a strong income stream? Surely all clubs should strive for that?

I have been involved in 2 Brisbane clubs over the last 20 years, Uni and Sunnybank, and have enjoyed my experiences at both. I have lots of friends who are involved in other clubs and they equally speak highly of their clubs. We have all the successful ingredients for Rugby to become a big deal again but this kindergarten behaviour stops it from happening.

Wouldn't it be better if the Clubs and QRU worked together to produce a top quality product that attracted players, spectators and investors to participate, support and fund this great game?

You choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution. At the moment you are bringing down the reputation of your club and it's supporters so I'd say you're part of the problem

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just wanted to add something fellas, I was quite impressed last week when GPS were playing Logan at Logan (a catch up game from first round) to see the 2 Finger brothers there at 12 supporting their lower grade teams.
very commendable I thought!!

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Great to see the banks attempt to buy the premiership has failed again this year. They've been useless all season and yeah they finally turned it around on the weekend but only once they brought most of their salaried reds players into the team. Tough luck boys. Thats a fair bit of money down the drain to not even make finals. See ya next year :D

Up the tiges

As others have said, people like you give Easts a bad name. What a narrow minded comment! As a fairly long time gold coast supporter it is close to offensive what you say. Easts have lured a number of our players to their fold- What's the saying about kettles and pots? I know Jets may be able to make the call on who of the Sunnybank boys are colts or juniors from the club, but seemingly you know everything and may be able to tell me. Do you want to know who have gone from the Breakers to the Tiges??

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
It
Just wanted to add something fellas, I was quite impressed last week when GPS were playing Logan at Logan (a catch up game from first round) to see the 2 Finger brothers there at 12 supporting their lower grade teams.
very commendable I thought!!
It's something they do quite regularly and they interact very well with spectators, it's great to see!

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I don't think 'importing' players is what Chirpin is referring to - surely not!

I'd be surprised if he isn't privy to the inner financial transacions of other clubs without being equally conversant with the financial transactions of his own club. I expect he attended every AGM in Brisbane rugby this year so that he could obtain their audited financial reports to pore over and analyse before he threw up such a bold statement.

He would've definitely looked at his own playing roster and assessed those Reds, EPS and ARU Academy players who are at Easts, and he would've also looked at when they went there. He sat down and pored over these, compared them to the similar records I'm sure he has for Sunnybank as well, and assessed that his comment was fair and reasonable.

Likewise I'm sure he also looked at the tables and, seeing that Sunnybank are a mathematical chance of making the finals still, he previewed the games which that hinges on and made a balanced assessment.

Yeah, totally.

Easts supporters - tigerland12 et al - I don't think posts like his are representative of everyone who supports Easts.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't have anything against the Bank, they're a good club. I like the challenge. Brothers vs Sunnybank is always a good game.

The QRU really should be pushing for a bit of TV to promote 3rd Tier rugby. Look at the Shute Shield for example, it is a very popular comp down there in Sydney, mainly because it is shown on TV. Rugby followers in regional NSW love it!

Queensland Rugby is known well all over the globe. Britain, NZ, USA, Europe or even the most isolated parts of Antarctica, the Filth are still known and hated!

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the fair appraisal is for forum embers to click on Chirpin's profile and read his previous 17 posts. Seems like it is the same pot you are always stirring.
Nice try at saving credibility.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Looking forward to a great day of footy down at Yoku Rd with GPS vs Uni. Hopefully the weather is similar to today.

Anyone have any team lists for this weekend yet? Last I checked the qru hadnt posted any but might be looking in the wrong spot.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I think this round will be the most telling of the season in terms of giving us a picture of how things will pan out come finals time.

Brothers need to step up against an Easts unit which is seeming to pick up steam like a locomotive.

While the GPS youngsters will need to prove that their new found contracts and last weeks scoreline was not a flash in the pan. University have not been dominant this season, as a forward pack or a backline but they have been clinical and systematic. Which may be the way to beat the raw power of GPS

Sunnybank & Souths i think could be an interesting clash but not at same level as the others

Xavier jenkins

Frank Nicholson (4)
Enever and stols v carter and the big Fijian from brothers. Tiger land do you think the size of the Easts tight five will have dominance over the smaller brothers pack?

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well what an amazing result at Tigerland today with Easts flogging the Filth 44-12. The first twenty minutes of the game was all Easts and Brothers just struggled to get a look in against a very determined and committed Tigers team who were prepared to throw the ball wide and have a go. At one stage Easts led 29-0! It was a magnificent effort by the Easts forward pack who clearly dominated, but the Tigers backs were sensational. Brandon had what I believe was his best game of the season so far. Jack Mullins was his usual tenacious self and delivered plenty of quality ball - easy to do behind such an aggressive forward pack. The Easts centres were outstanding and it was very pleasing to see the fullback and wingers get plenty of ball and back themselves to break the defence. Jonah Placid is proving to be a real standout on the wing.

Great to see the young Easts #7 Gunn bag a couple of classy tries.

Easts seem to have hit form at the right end of the season!

I'm not sure what Brothers' problem was. Their big forward pack was outgunned, but their backs just didn't click. Their #11 scored a very good try late in the first half but it was all too late for them at that stage. Easts never really looked troubled and certainly had the "rub of the green".

Anyone got the other results from today's matches please?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not a good result for Brothers today. I really say anything else...

Gotta get a win over Uni next week, gaining confidence is crucial heading into the finals!

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well what an amazing result at Tigerland today with Easts flogging the Filth 44-12. The first twenty minutes of the game was all Easts and Brothers just struggled to get a look in against a very determined and committed Tigers team who were prepared to throw the ball wide and have a go. At one stage Easts led 29-0! It was a magnificent effort by the Easts forward pack who clearly dominated, but the Tigers backs were sensational. Brandon had what I believe was his best game of the season so far. Jack Mullins was his usual tenacious self and delivered plenty of quality ball - easy to do behind such an aggressive forward pack. The Easts centres were outstanding and it was very pleasing to see the fullback and wingers get plenty of ball and back themselves to break the defence. Jonah Placid is proving to be a real standout on the wing.

Great to see the young Easts #7 Gunn bag a couple of classy tries.

Easts seem to have hit form at the right end of the season!

I'm not sure what Brothers' problem was. Their big forward pack was outgunned, but their backs just didn't click. Their #11 scored a very good try late in the first half but it was all too late for them at that stage. Easts never really looked troubled and certainly had the "rub of the green".

Anyone got the other results from today's matches please?

University beat Jeeps. Sunnybank beat Souths. G Coast beat Norths. Wests beat Sunnycoast.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not a good result for Brothers today. I really say anything else.

Gotta get a win over Uni next week, gaining confidence is crucial heading into the finals!
I'm honestly not trying to be a bad winner, but seriously what went wrong for Brothers? Easts were good, but that was probably the worst Brothers performance I've seen in years. They really looked all over the shop, they will be a bit worried having two big losses to other finalists.

For Easts though I thought it was Brandon and Toua's kicking game, and then ruck speed that set them up. They ran over Brothers in the first 20min and it was over by then.

Michael Gunn brilliant again, Brandon, Butler and Toua awesome, and Jonah Placids try was freakish. Very lucky to be able to bring the likes of Sean Cox, Andrew Ready and Jonny Wilder off the bench as well.

Good signs for Easts, worrying for Brothers with GPS and Uni playing well also.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Top 4 now locked away. Just playing for positions next week.

It's looking like Brothers may only last one week in the finals. They need to win this week to have a double chance.

Uni and Easts are the teams to beat at the moment for mine.

Nice to see a big crowd down at the 'bank yesterday for Old Boys Day/Heritage Round. Was the best I've seen the Dragons play all year, from only around 5 games. Pity it was done too late in the season.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
After watching GPS go down to Uni on the weekend it was pretty easy to see how much GPS have relied on Samu Kerevi's go forward throughout the season. Word is that they are hoping he'll be right to go in the first week of finals but nothing set in stone.

Uni looked very sharp particularily in the backs, everytime they went to counterattack the back three for Uni seemed to find space and open up holes which put them in great field position.

One positive thing for GPS though is that losing the Toolis brothers hasn't seemed to harm the forward pack too much. On the weekend, every forward on the field apart from the front row had played either 6/7 at some stage throughout the season and that mobility seems to be working, just need the get a bit more punch in the backline. Hopefully with the inclusions of Hegarty and Samu in the finals that will be the case.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Great to see the Breakers get up. Defence wasn't the order of the day with heaps of tries, but a win's a win! There is talent there and hopefully we can build on it over the next year or so

Status
Not open for further replies.