• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great news for them, two very good players.

Tigerland, reckon the Reds will sign a few of your Young Gunns? I hope someone can pick up why I've put two 'n's in Gun. Surely Michael Bond from Brothers will get a look it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Biggest problem for Prems clubsI think except for the Bank and maybe Uni is that the ARU or QRU (not sure which one) has pulled the $50,000 contribution. - smaller, less financial clubs will be under the pump

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Scrubber2050 That will affect ALL clubs (even Bank & Uni). I understand that cuts have also hit the QRU directly- heard word of a redundancy or two in community rugby.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Great news for them, two very good players.

Tigerland, reckon the Reds will sign a few of your Young Gunns? I hope someone can pick up why I've put two 'n's in Gun. Surely Michael Bond from Brothers will get a look it.
Gunny has to be picked up by someone. He only just turned 18 and is consistently awesome week-in-week-out. He's a big unit as well, looks about 6'3 so he already has a good build and he matches it physically. So much potential in that kid, he is real level headed and down to earth from what I've heard as well.

How old is Bond? Could possibly be the only thing holding him back, similar to Rex Tapuai.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Gunny has to be picked up by someone. He only just turned 18 and is consistently awesome week-in-week-out. He's a big unit as well, looks about 6'3 so he already has a good build and he matches it physically. So much potential in that kid, he is real level headed and down to earth from what I've heard as well.

How old is Bond? Could possibly be the only thing holding him back, similar to Rex Tapuai.
I'm glad the reds signed Karevi but if they pick another centre over T.White I don't think they will ever give him a shot. Which will be sad for him, Easts and all prem grade talent. If he wants to have a crack at the next level he will have to move away.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Should be another cracking day of fixtures down at Yoku against the Bank this weekend to see off the regular season. GPS are having a charity day with the whole club being kitted out in pink and blue socks and prems doing the full pink kit.

Prems only need one point from the game to secure the 2013 minor premiership - first time in 9 years I believe if they can pull it off. Going to be a tough ask I think with Sunnybank hitting their straps the last few weeks.

Any other big match ups this weekend?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Biggest problem for Prems clubsI think except for the Bank and maybe Uni is that the ARU or QRU (not sure which one) has pulled the $50,000 contribution. - smaller, less financial clubs will be under the pump
Apparently the ARU will pay the clubs their $10K Premier rugby grant this season, after reports saying it wasn't forthcoming.
As Cat said it will effect all clubs if the money were to be pulled. The money has to be used for development of players so will have an impact on performance budgets at the clubs that actually do one if the funding is pulled in the future.

T

Tigers Tale

Thrilling round 18 permutations tomorrow with all 4 semi spots up for grabs. With Brothers failing to deal with the loss of 7/8 of their top side and Uni and Sunnybank enhanced by their Reds contingents it could be that what seemed certain two weeks ago that GPS & Brothers would play in the major semi might be off the mark and it may well end up being Easts and Uni doing battle in the late game next Sunday for the right to direct entry to the GF. Can GPS stand up to the rampant Dragons? Can Easts hold their nerve v the Dogs? Can the Filth rally? What a Saturday after of rugby in Brisbane - enjoy!
Tigers Tales

T

Tigers Tale

Battle of the old dog playing for the tigers and the young gun playing for the dogs. I talk of the battle between Brandon(191) and Greene(209) for the competitions leading points scorer. If the tigers can secure a 4 try bonus point win at the Kennel tomorrow not only might it secure a major semi spot but it might sweep Brandon past Greene.

It may well be these two who fight it out for the Alex Evans medal as well - Brandon was the 2012 winner & won the Toohey's New medal in 2007. Regardless great effort from Greene who for some reason is much maligned across the competition.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on who the ref's will go for with the Alex Evan's medal? Will it be a bolter like Carlos Gavidi (Norths) in 2011 or Matt Bain (Stingrays) in 2010? Do players poll points in the semis or are they only awarded in the H&A season.

Tigers Tale

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Battle of the old dog playing for the tigers and the young gun playing for the dogs. I talk of the battle between Brandon(191) and Greene(209) for the competitions leading points scorer. If the tigers can secure a 4 try bonus point win at the Kennel tomorrow not only might it secure a major semi spot but it might sweep Brandon past Greene.

It may well be these two who fight it out for the Alex Evans medal as well - Brandon was the 2012 winner & won the Toohey's New medal in 2007. Regardless great effort from Greene who for some reason is much maligned across the competition.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on who the ref's will go for with the Alex Evan's medal? Will it be a bolter like Carlos Gavidi (Norths) in 2011 or Matt Bain (Stingrays) in 2010? Do players poll points in the semis or are they only awarded in the H&A season.

Tigers Tale

Maybe Kerevi from GPS, but honestly I would be surprised if its anyone who is not wearing Nos 6,7,8,9 or 10. That's just how it is anywhere for players of the year in my experience.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
My Top picks for Alec Evans Medal

Samu Kerevi (GPS)
Veresa Mataitini (Norths)
Matt Brandon (Easts)
Sam Greene (Wests)

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
It's based on referee assessment of standout players from each game. Teams strong across the park end up getting their votes effectively diluted by each other . It's those teams who go ok, but have a standout player, that often produce the Alec Evans medal.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think Kerevi, Brandon and Greene would be the front runners as well.

Suspect it will be Greene because of Cat A's explanation. Kerevi probably deserves it though

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's funny but I remember when Matt Brandon was the best player on the Tigers team. Now he just seems to be a really, really, really good role player alongside the likes of Placid, Toua, Butler etc yadayada ya.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Pretty awesome that the minor premiership will be decided today and 4 teams are in with a shot.

So from what I can gather....

GPS: Simply need to win, or at least lose with 2 bonus points to take it (with Brothers losing).
Brothers: Need GPS to lose to Sunnybank, and to win with a bonus point.
University: Need to win with a bonus point and for GPS (without a bonus point) and Easts to lose. Or alternatively the same result but with Easts winning without a bonus point.
Easts: Need to win with a bonus point. Need GPS to lose without any bonus points, Brothers to lose (or win without a bonus point).

So if that hasn't fucked ya head around, basically GPS should get it, but you never know with Sunnybank, they could turn it on.

The next best placed is probably Easts, with the easier game (no disrespect to Wests) they should get a bonus point. They also have a better PD than Uni, GPS and Brothers, which gives them a big advantage.

My prediction.

GPS to win without a bonus point (1st)
Easts to win with a bonus point (2nd)
University to win without a bonus point (3rd)
Brothers to lose with a bonus point (4th)

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
and they finish in that order.. GPS, Easts, University, Brothers.

Wests were annoyingly good this arvo, especially at the breakdown, they really gave it their all. Toby White was Easts best, the pack needs to stand up next week if they have any chance to beat GPS

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
... the pack needs to stand up next week if they have any chance to beat GPS

They are good enough, they've shown that on many occasions this year. Having said that, this GPS team is a formidable unit and Easts will need to show up with their "A" game at Ballymore next Sunday. Should be a cracking afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.