• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Who was the last wallaby to suit up for Easts? I'm drawing blanks thinking about it

EDIT: sorry I meant who was the last tiger to suit up for the wallabies. I guess i could Wikipedia it i just enjoy chatting with the crew.question of curiosity?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Who was the last wallaby to suit up for Easts? I'm drawing blanks thinking about it

EDIT: sorry I meant who was the last tiger to suit up for the wallabies. I guess i could Wikipedia it i just enjoy chatting with the crew.question of curiosity?
Ben Mowen is the closest at the moment to being a wallaby. Even though he doesn't play for Easts anymore, he's still a club man, always watching the team (and his brother) whenever he gets the opportunity.

Before that, probably Andrew Walker and Jeremy Paul. We had Moses Rauluni play for Fiji around the same time as well.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ben Mowen plays for Tuggeranong so if he does get a cap you can't really claim him.

The Board is pretty big on the One Club philosophy at Easts, Mowen being a junior as well, I think they will put his name up on the representative board in the Clubhouse. I am pretty sure he is already up their for playing for Aus age grade teams.

Jeremy Paul and David Wilson would be the most recent Easts players to play for the Wallabies. excluding Andrew Walker who played for Easts after his last Test cap.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Mowen plays for Tuggeranong so if he does get a cap you can't really claim him.

To be fair on Tigerland, It's a solid claim to be made... We all know that ACT/Perth live in a fear that their talent will head home when the contracts are up. That's why they don't release them for Premier/Shute Shield Rugby because all it takes is the 1 or 2 matches they play a year back home for them to get homesick & investigate the likelyhood of a return to the Reds.

Given a choice Ben Mowen would love to go up on the board as a Tiger & not a Tufferanong given the choice because the club footy at Brumbies/Perth is all political (It's supposedly about boostering their comps having these contracted players but to the detriment of the actual individual becoming a better footballer through match fitness in a tougher competition)

But it's all a moot point anyways with Ben Mowen, He will be taking a backseat to Angus Cotterall who is destined for a Wallabies call up in the near distant future (heard it here first)
We all know Cotterall will be going up on the Associates Rugby Club honour board in Perth when we all know he is a West Brisbane Bulldog.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I only asked the question about the last Tiger who was a Wallaby because my brain went back to David Wilson (& i was suprised that there was no one in between) & it seems you guys always have a fairshare of talent but just not a lot of the elite stuff (regular wallaby caps)

Can you really claim Jeremy Paul? When abouts did he play for you? I remember him being a Brumby when he got the call up to the Wallabies, did he play for you guys whilst with the Brumbies?

This question of "Who was your last Wallaby" isn't nessecarily a bad thing. Given having a Digby Ioane on my team who might play 1 game for Sunnybank every 2 or 3 years compared to a contracted Red such as Jarred Buttler (who will play for you most weeks, when he is not on the road touring with the REDS) I think i'd rather prefer the Butler as opposed to the Ioane because he will have more of a impact on your team record & your team culture. ;)

But Wow.. David Wilson!!! I am certainly shocked!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Cotterall is probably a couple of years off SouthernX. He's a talent but will need some time on the park for the Force to show his ability and he seems to be behind a few in the pecking order there at there at the moment.

I doubt Easts will put Mowen down as he wouldn't be registered with them and it would be a few years since he last was. While I see the point you are making, I don't think it flys. It would be great if players could play for the club of their choice but it's not something that's going to happen in the current climate.

If Matt Lucas was to get a Wallaby call up this year (unlikely), he won't be on the honour board at Sunnybank as he isn't a registered player at the club this year.

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
I only asked the question about the last Tiger who was a Wallaby because my brain went back to David Wilson (& i was suprised that there was no one in between) & it seems you guys always have a fairshare of talent but just not a lot of the elite stuff (regular wallaby caps)

Can you really claim Jeremy Paul? When abouts did he play for you? I remember him being a Brumby when he got the call up to the Wallabies, did he play for you guys whilst with the Brumbies?

This question of "Who was your last Wallaby" isn't nessecarily a bad thing. Given having a Digby Ioane on my team who might play 1 game for Sunnybank every 2 or 3 years compared to a contracted Red such as Jarred Buttler (who will play for you most weeks, when he is not on the road touring with the REDS) I think i'd rather prefer the Butler as opposed to the Ioane because he will have more of a impact on your team record & your team culture. ;)

But Wow.. David Wilson!!! I am certainly shocked!

But does Jarrod have 8 cousins from Melbourne living in his house who all play for the club.
Digby is worth his weight in genetic gold!

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Cotterall is probably a couple of years off SouthernX. He's a talent but will need some time on the park for the Force to show his ability and he seems to be behind a few in the pecking order there at there at the moment.

I doubt Easts will put Mowen down as he wouldn't be registered with them and it would be a few years since he last was. While I see the point you are making, I don't think it flys. It would be great if players could play for the club of their choice but it's not something that's going to happen in the current climate.

If Matt Lucas was to get a Wallaby call up this year (unlikely), he won't be on the honour board at Sunnybank as he isn't a registered player at the club this year.

Do Sunnybank Juniors have a representative honours board that he could go on?

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I disagree JETS on the pecking order about Cotterall. I too believed he was 5th or so behind Alcock, McCalman, Hodgson, Brown & McMeniman (but i see MMM as a lock this season)

I know it's only 1 game and Hodgson still to return but I was surprised he got the start against the Rebels & even more surprised to see he got 80 minutes.

If he gets a wallaby cap it will be in one if these mid week test appearances against a northern hemisphere minion in the role of wallaby backrow bolter but the future is definitely bright for this young lad.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
On the topic of Wallabies, which club has produced the most? Ohh right, its Brothers. :p Sorry felt like being a w*nker.

Who agrees with me that Easts and Heavies have the best forward pack?

leakytap

Sydney Middleton (9)
Whilst it is every players dream to represent their state and country, one of the coveted awards at the bank is the Andrew Hahn award. This is presented to players who have played juniors/colts/premiers.
Who is Andrew Hahn - I'm sure some long time followers of brisbane rugby can tell us.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Dan McKeller is back from the capital and it coaching at the nest again from what I hear. While his title is assistant coach to Kefu it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

yoke

Bob McCowan (2)
Jets I certainly hope you don't claim Ben Tapuai as Ben Mowen would have played more senior rugby games for Easts than Tapuai would have for Sunnybank.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets I certainly hope you don't claim Ben Tapuai as Ben Mowen would have played more senior rugby games for Easts than Tapuai would have for Sunnybank.
Yes Sunnybank claim Ben Tapuai as he was a registered Sunnybank player when he won his first test cap. It's not about how many games you play for a club it is all to do with who you are registered with when you are selected to play for the country.
Fletcher Dyson is on the honour board as Uni and I think he had only played 1 game for them before he played for the Wallabies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Mowen needs to make the wallabies first before we even argue about honourboards , how old is he? I'm guessing 28ish (based on the amount of work he has had with reds, tahs & Brumbies)

I think a new wallabies coach will increase his chances of a callup because after the season he had I was surprised he didn't get the phone call.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Ben Mowen needs to make the wallabies first before we even argue about honourboards , how old is he? I'm guessing 28ish (based on the amount of work he has had with reds, tahs & Brumbies)

I think a new wallabies coach will increase his chances of a callup because after the season he had I was surprised he didn't get the phone call.
Just a hypothetical conversation mate, relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.