• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The problem is that Premier rugby isn't the pinnacle of the sport. It receives funding as it is a pathway to elite rugby. If you don't want elite players to play then hand back the ARU funding.
Guys know what Super players are involved in the different clubs. If they want to play all year then go play at Norths or Wests where there aren't many rep players to return.
What you are saying is that the guys that go onto Super contracts aren't as good a clubman as the guy who plays premier.
As for spreading the talent around the clubs, what's the incentive for clubs to develop players?

Stallion

Herbert Moran (7)
Jets, thats not what Im arguing at all.

What I'm arguing is that if you have not earnt the right to do something (like play in a semi final or a grand final) then you should not be allowed to take part and enjoy the privilege of taking part in one. The basic premise of my argument is a "Fair Go", for all players not just the ones who are on Super contracts. Also, Super Rugby players dont develop Premier Rugby players, its the other way round so I'm not sure where you're going with the ARU funding, I actually think its a pretty silly rebuttal actually.

With regards to your argument about guys "just moving" to another club if they want an opportunity, okay, that is an option that is available to players but you are messing with the fabric of club rugby and what makes it special if that is your only solution. Most players I have come across are die hard clubman who have been at their clubs since juniors, and the option of "simply moving" is not as easy as you make it out to be Jets. If you are happy to lose the tribal nature of club footy, just for the sake of not tampering with the involvement of Super Rugby players, I think you are grossly undervaluing the importance of the Premier rugby player who dont seem to rate a mention in your calculations.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Even if its 1 game to qualify for the finals would be OK in my books. Sure these reps players need a bit of rest but its not like their jobs are anything more gruelling then the carpenter working 5 days a week who can find time for 2 training sessions and a hit out on the weekend.

I'd love to see a midseason hit out from a fringe player before he plays for his club in the grand final. I'm sure there's been many instances where a superstar plays his 1st club game for UNI or the BANK in a grand final and is left standing there looking like a idiot cause he has no idea how the team song goes.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Stallion I don't disagree with your comment that it's not fair. But Premier Rugby is the 3rd tier. It has its place in the rugby landscape. In the past players would play for the Reds or Wallabies and still run out for their club on the same weekend. I am sure many of the current players would love to do the same.

I don't mind the qualifying via one game idea, with my only exception being Wallaby players. If a super player doesn't manage to play a Premier rugby game then he isn't really committed to the cause and probably could miss out on playing the finals. If a guy can't play Premier rugby because he's playing for the Reds or Wallabies then he should still have a chance to play for his club.

I also agree that the best players tend to be incredibly loyal clubmen who don't want to change club. These guys also tend to have some understanding about players returning and take it on the chin. In the past I've seen returning players play off the bench so as not to disrupt the Premier teams momentum. I guess the coach has to make a call on what is best for the team. If you look at last years grand final there was a Wallaby playing who in my eyes was one of the worst performers on the day, so it's not always a winning formula to start them in the big games.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I support uni and i can see both sides but think it is an overall good thing.
Last year Will Tuffley and Teti Tela both had to ride pine for the final so Con foley and Mike Harris could play (both whom had played limited games throught out the year) Tuffs and teti were gutted but moved past it and played well in the final when they got the chance. they also celebrated like they should of after the win. Both back this year for UNI playing hard and would know there is a possability of it happening again.
I also know how much the rep players bring to the club not just premier grade. The energy is amazing across all the grades. the lads get to meet them or have a beer with them at club nights. Things like prem colts training against fully contracted players and coming back boosting about how they stepped Luke Morahan or got pumped by Laurie weeks.
Then of course you have the obvious gains for players who get to play with them as well and learn from their skill and knowledge. (The tuffleys and Teti's included)

What about when colts have been playing premier grade all year and the prems team for make finals so they drop down. Happens all the time.
Or if the colts don't make the final so they go and play grades (like GPS did last year for the final v brothers in 2nd grade) . All legal and could mean the difference between a premiership or not but this does involve people who play just for the love of it.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I think in these discussions we need to consider off-field as well as on-field involvement.

On the weekend for Uni vs Easts I saw James Horwill, Chibba Hanson, Mike Harris, Rod Davies, Jono Lance, Dave McDuling etc. watching the first grade and Premier grade games (also Quade Cooper - think that might've had more to do with it being Ladies Day...). Most/all of those guys come to every game they can, even when they aren't allowed to play (QRU and ARU limit their involvement hugely).

All of those guys come down and help out the Colts and grades at training throughout the year without fanfare or any expectation of reward. They sit down with the bench players when they can, they meet the kids & sign stuff and have photos taken etc, .. the list goes on. While I can only talk about what happens at Uni, I know the Faingaas & Radike do the same at GPS, I would assume Sunnybank's stable of stars do the same thing (Coach Wal is a prime example of contributing off the field)

Surely when it comes to playing finals involvement in off-field club activities as well as on-field should count. I 100% agree that if someone hasn't even met their teammates or seen the club before they play a finals game I would crack the shits, but not selecting players who have actually contributed what they can (even if it isn't much) is a bit rough.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The current situation isn't going to change. Teams have to make the top 4 after 18 rounds to be a chance. Everyone understands that players will drop back a different times but consistency over the season is what puts you in the position to win the comp. No team has won it off the back of a few rep players playing one or two games.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The current situation isn't going to change. Teams have to make the top 4 after 18 rounds to be a chance. Everyone understands that players will drop back a different times but consistency over the season is what puts you in the position to win the comp. No team has won it off the back of a few rep players playing one or two games.

Yes but look at a club like brothers who has dominated so many regular seasons as of late going on to win multiple minor premierships only to get destroyed by the evil empires such as UQ or Sunnybank.

Don't get me wrong not really phased at current setup. I just felt the need for devils advocate.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
But Uni and Sunnybank still had to make the top 4. And if you look at the teams most of the players played the majority of the season.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yes but look at a club like brothers who has dominated so many regular seasons as of late going on to win multiple minor premierships only to get destroyed by the evil empires such as UQ or Sunnybank.

Don't get me wrong not really phased at current setup. I just felt the need for devils advocate.

Not every year that Brothers lost in the semi and grand final was due to all the Reds coming back. 2008 Easts only Reds player was A. Walker and he played almost the whole season for the Tigers.

Sometimes they haven't won premierships despite consistently close to the best team can also come down to not being able to maintain peek physical performance right until the end of the season.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Been a while since I posted and not in Brisbane at the moment so interesting to see how the Premier comp is unfolding.

Brothers never cease to amaze. Thought they might be a little light on this year but they've really started with a bang. Michael Bond an extremely good pick up and with him joining the Murphy brothers the backline certainly has some attacking capacity.

GPS are also looking like real contenders from what I've read. Heard the forwards owned Easts a few weeks ago and with Deekay looking like having a few runs they've got a strong forward pack to go with some talented young backs.

Easts v Sunnybank this weekend will be a good match, to assess the credentials of both sides. Forward battle might decide this one. Not sure who has the advantage in the backs?

Final contender is obviously Uni. They will be looking to bounce back big time after getting hammered by the Tigers.

It will be very interesting to see who the top four are at the end of the season. Will be extremely tight.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not every year that Brothers lost in the semi and grand final was due to all the Reds coming back. 2008 Easts only Reds player was A. Walker and he played almost the whole season for the Tigers.

Sometimes they haven't won premierships despite consistently close to the best team can also come down to not being able to maintain peek physical performance right until the end of the season.

Yeah I know. But if we didn't have a player sent off in the 10th or so minute we probably would have won, actually I'm 100% sure we would have won, but shit happens. I really reckon Jeeps are looking good, as Stallion can delve into more, their foward pack is f*cking awesome!

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
Red Heavy - You are also forgetting Tim Mosey, last year played 19 Premier Games for University only to be knocked out by Harris or Morahan and not play the Grand Final. Can understand why he moved back to the Kennel.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Mosey did play a lot of prems and i know the main reason he went home to wests was because he wanted to play with a club that started and finished with the same 20 blokes but to be fair he didnt sit out of the grandfinal last year because of reds players. He played 14 games in prems most of which were as a fill in in the centers for injuries here and there and he never got to play his favoured fullback position. Which means he would have been well down the pecking order if simon morahan, David burns, Jj Taulagi and will Tuffley were all out injuried.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Your argument would hold a lot more water if Brothers weren't an evil empire in their own right ;-)

@titansrugbynews

Frank Row (1)
Dallan Murphy has signed for English club Rotherham Titans for the 2013/14 season, any feedback on him?

Please feel free to tweet our supporters twitter account @titansrugbynews

WESTCOMBE RANGER

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dallan Murphy has signed for English club Rotherham Titans for the 2013/14 season, any feedback on him?
Be interesting when some gnarly old English forward runs at him. Don't think he'll be used to that. Will be sure to receive a warm welcome from an ex Uni player who he could come up against

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Went to Norths v GPS game today. A couple of observations - gps r a very young side with a heap of potential, however were very lucky to get away with a lucky win. There kicking at the back was atrocious to say the least. They lacked some ability to change their game plan when no 13 from Norths continually stalled their attack with strong defence. After watching Souths demolish Norths last week GPS obviously went in less than prepared however even having consideration to this they were average at best. No. 9 for Norths was excellent, a level above GPS 9 and 13 for Norths was probabably player of the match with his defence. Overall gps will b very thankful at the end of the year they escaped with 4 points.

ClubStalwart

Peter Burge (5)
I will let someone else give a review of the West v University game. But let me say Wests were outstanding. They put the full 80 mins in and it showed with a convincing win over University 36 - 20. Sam Greene and Byron Hutchinson with 2 tries each in the first half. Wests front row was also outstanding. Great first win for the Bulldogs, hope they back it up against a fragile Sunnybank this weekend after their lost to Easts.

Status
Not open for further replies.