• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Qld Premier Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd just prefer the national comp to feature SEQLD teams such as Tornados & Aces where they draw their rosters from club rugby.

It just wouldn't feel right cheering for Dunnybank or UQ in the national comp

The Oldest Rat

Peter Burge (5)
I'm with you southernX, I would have enormous difficulty barracking for Uni or Sunnybank in a national comp. If they want to have four teams from Brisbane name them something like what they were in the ARC and then get on with it. All this crap about tribalism is just that. We have our club land comp that engenders tribalism, this would something different.

NZ do not have the Hurricanes playing the Auckland blues in ITM cup same goes for SA. Just get a third tier started and get on with it. At least when Flower was the man at the ARU he started something. It may have not been the best of what it could have been but it was a start.

It could have been streamlined and made better but JON came in and scrapped it without in my view a decent trial.

There is a desperate need for a third tier in Australian rugby, one only has to look at the form of the Wallabies right now. Their basic skills are abysmal, I would kick my young bloke backside if he made mistakes like they do in the Wallabies.

They are making schoolboy errors under pressure that our opposition just are not making.

The difference being that SA and NZ both have vibrant third tier comps to give their players that extra tough competition base

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Why don't you and SouthernX support Brothers if you don't want to support Uni or Sunnybank if this stupid comp does happen?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Why don't you and SouthernX support Brothers if you don't want to support Uni or Sunnybank if this stupid comp does happen?

I don't think I have that vulgar potty mouth to be a rabid Brothers supporter throwing shit chat from the sideline & strutting around like I own the joint

Can you teach me to become an swearing elitist brothers supporter Filth?

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Heard about the whole extent of Stolberg's injuries out on the field on Sunday. Take my hat off tothe young man for his courage in fronting up and giving his best.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Another one who goes unmentioned but had a cracker was Sam Cox
Big season from Coxy. He is a very underrated player. Affectionately known as the "shitter twin" at the start of the year among my mates, he really proved himself. Defensively very sound and quite agile in small spaces.hes done well.

His twin Sean looked very good at 12 while UJ was overseas. Unfortunately for him, UJ started playing out of his skin, and there were no other spots available for Sean, who I still believe is the more talented of the twins.

However heard that because the National Academy is disbanding, they may head back to the Gold Coast to live. Hopefully they stay, two great blokes to have in the team.

T

Tigers Tale

But a wallaby IMO is alligned to the current club he plays for.

Crossy in reality very few current Wallabies ever play for their clubs in the same year that they are an active member of the Wallaby squad.

I know it happens but rarely does a Horwill, Genia, Cooper, Gill get the chance to play a club game. Same goes for the Reds players who are told to have their end of season operations at the end of the Super15 season e.g. Ed Quirk, Anthony Faainga, etc.

Ed Quirk (granted not a Wallaby and hit with injury) has started 2 games in 2 seasons for the tigers. Premiership winning water boy though!

That's fine because the ARU/QRU pay these blokes and I fully appreciate that they don't want them to get injured playing in club land and they need thir post op rehab to start ASAP ahead of the following Super season but if the 3rd tier comes into play this will be an issue.

Robbie Dean use to say that they will go back to club land but it was just mantra. Same with Ewan for example Saia Faainga could have played for GPS in the preliminary semi but they didn't want him to because the Wallabies were struggling with depth in the hooking ranks. Why couldn't Saia have played in the grand final?

If Anthony Herbert had his way with Hegarty then what's stopping a club flying in a JOC (James O'Connor), Scott Higginbotham or a Kurtley Beale to play in the semis. (Granted JOC (James O'Connor) &KB (Kurtley Beale) are no longer with the Rebels). If Wests flew Higgers back in for the semis I have no issue but that's irrelevant because despite their improved showings over the last couple of seasons and the Gillespie & Greene factor the Doggies still won't feature in semis for a few years yet - sorry Crossy low blow I know but are they really going to find a way in above the big 6 Easts, GPS, Uni, Bros, Snbk, Souths. I hope for your sake they do.

The big threat I recon for 2014 are the Magpies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
With their first grade doing very well this year, I think Souths will be a force next year....then again, that's what everyone was saying about Wests & Sunnybank this season, whilst writing off Easts and Brothers.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Crossy in reality very few current Wallabies ever play for their clubs in the same year that they are an active member of the Wallaby squad.
refer to people by their selected moniker.

With their first grade doing very well this year, I think Souths will be a force next year..then again, that's what everyone was saying about Wests & Sunnybank this season, whilst writing off Easts and Brothers.

No one wrote off Easts, everyone jsut acknowledged that they have had the problem of falling short the last few years.

People did write off brothers however, everyone was under the impression that Dallan Murphy was not playing and was unaware of the presence of Bond.

Souths reserve grade team was a very handy outfit however, the majority of the team was not young developing players but largely a group of old experienced heads with a handful of younger players. However Souths are always walking that fine line between finals footy and 5/6 place

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Souths also had three teams make the finals in lower grades and a colts side which is always a good sign of depth and I believe their 5ths actually won the grand final.

It might not sound like a big deal but in terms of building a strong club morale I know at GPS over the last few years we've always celebrated the fact that although we might not have won the Premier trophy its always a nice boost for the club when our 2nds, 3rds and 4ths are bringing home some silverware. Players want to play at winning clubs no matter what the grade so if Souths keep that building into next year then watch out.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Just looking at Shute Shield results over the season, and at today's final score, along with the comments in that thread. Makes you realise how good it is in the Premier Comp that almost all the teams are competitive, and there is no ridiculously dominant team.

People also complain about Uni and Sunnybanks amount of representative players.....it could be worse, look at Sydney Uni

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just looking at Shute Shield results over the season, and at today's final score, along with the comments in that thread. Makes you realise how good it is in the Premier Comp that almost all the teams are competitive, and there is no ridiculously dominant team.

People also complain about Uni and Sunnybanks amount of representative players...it could be worse, look at Sydney Uni

Couldn't agree more. Queensland Premier Rugby is alive, Shute Shield is near death. From 2003-2013, there has been seven different winners in Queensland Premier Rugby! Shute Shield there has been 3. With SU winning 8 from 9.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
lesser of two evils.....UQ actually have modelled themselves on sydney uni over the last few years and thats how they have managed to dramatically improve as a club over the last decade.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Big season from Coxy. He is a very underrated player. Affectionately known as the "shitter twin" at the start of the year among my mates, he really proved himself. Defensively very sound and quite agile in small spaces.hes done well.

His twin Sean looked very good at 12 while UJ was overseas. Unfortunately for him, UJ started playing out of his skin, and there were no other spots available for Sean, who I still believe is the more talented of the twins.

However heard that because the National Academy is disbanding, they may head back to the Gold Coast to live. Hopefully they stay, two great blokes to have in the team.

I hope they stay. I was under the impression the states will be in charge of their own academies so I'm hoping this will include them and they stay at Easts to be close to Ballymore. Specially because I want to see Sean reach his potential in an Easts jersey

T

Tigers Tale

I hope they stay. I was under the impression the states will be in charge of their own academies so I'm hoping this will include them and they stay at Easts to be close to Ballymore. Specially because I want to see Sean reach his potential in an Easts jersey

East Coast Aces & Tigerland 12 - Sean had an operation on his shoulder last week but if I quote the man himself "if I play rugby next year it will be for the Tigers and if I don't play I'll be Mull's assistant". (Mull - Easts Manager)

As for Sam he has commuted to training from the gold coast for two years so as for returning to the Gold Coast to live he never left & after the season he had culminating in a premiership I doubt he has aspirations to return to the Breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.