• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Trying to find evidence based reason for Colts playing no extra time. IRB website simply states all U19 rugby is restricted to 2 halves of 35min. There is some broad statement re; liability and welfare but no detail or reference as to how this time determination has been reached.

Bowlers in cricket are restricted in U19 and under to max overs/day (think 16) and does not matter if playing under age or open the restriction applies. This is linked to a significant number of evidence based research papers.

Are the Colts eligible players in Open Prem restricted to 70min ? If the Prem GF went into extra time can the U19's continue ? If they are injured beyond the 70min mark is the Union liable given they have contravened their own policy document ?

Thoughts ?

deansy

Bob McCowan (2)
Having watched the replay of the Colts grand final it is very disappointing for the Brothers boys on how the result ended up. The ref unfortunately was a little indecisive in his calls & it showed especially in the last play of the game that allowed Sunnybank the draw . It cost the filth the trophy but the Brothers forwards were magnificent against a much bigger pack that had front rowers that could be rotated through the game to keep them fresh.
Unfortunately endurance & big motor players are disadvantaged under the current rotation rules . Having said that it was a great game & full credit to Sunnybank on the way they fought to the end & the goal kicker for the pressure kick he had to steal the trophy from the filth.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Trying to find evidence based reason for Colts playing no extra time. IRB website simply states all U19 rugby is restricted to 2 halves of 35min. There is some broad statement re; liability and welfare but no detail or reference as to how this time determination has been reached.

Bowlers in cricket are restricted in U19 and under to max overs/day (think 16) and does not matter if playing under age or open the restriction applies. This is linked to a significant number of evidence based research papers.

Are the Colts eligible players in Open Prem restricted to 70min ? If the Prem GF went into extra time can the U19's continue ? If they are injured beyond the 70min mark is the Union liable given they have contravened their own policy document ?

Thoughts ?

I've changed my mind completely on this in the last 5min. I previously thought "well, they're just the rules - colts don't play extra time because that's just U19 international laws".

I've since come to realise that THE FILTH WERE ROBBED. That's right, you heard a Uni supporter saying that the Filth are right to be, well, filthy. They should've had the opportunity to play extra time to break the deadlock. Hell, they might have still lost, but the 'no extra time in Colts' rule in Australian rugby is absolutely incorrect.

The Australian U19 Law Variations 2014* state that the maximum playing time for a team is to be 90min in one day. While this law was implemented for carnivals and knockout tournaments etc, there is absolutely nothing precluding extra time being played in a Colts GF.

Individual players can exceed 90min in a day as long as a suitable duty of care is maintained.

http://www.rugby.com.au/Portals/22/2014 Laws/U19 Law Variations ARU 2014.pdf

* The Law Variations apply!!!
This document is the Australian Under 19 Law Variations and Guidelines for
players, coaches and referees. These Law Variations and Guidelines must
be read in conjunction with the IRB’s U19 Law Variations.
Both sets of Variations are applicable to all matches at Under 19 level
played in Australia (except International U19 matches), including those
games played by visiting touring teams.

So, despite Reg's claims (sorry Reg) to the contrary, it is absolutely the QRU's fault/decision that extra time was not played on the weekend. Call it 'local competition rules' if you want, but the fact remains that the ARU allow 90min of rugby to be played by an U19 team and the QRU do not.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
And @girtbysea as a former Masters student studying injuries in rugby I can assure you that almost none of the policies (including head injury and scrummaging policies) and age-based restrictions specified by the IRB have any basis in research.

T

Tip

I have no problem with it. If a team finishes number 1 on the ladder and aren't beaten on Grand final day (a draw)- then they deserve to take home the bacon.

Filth supporters can go cry in the breastmilk.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tip - not sure if it changes your opinion but Sunnybank finished 2nd on 53 points and Brothers finished 3rd on 56 points. Not exactly a massive ladder difference there to show 'the best team' taking home the bacon.

Side note - which team scored the first try? It would be rather ironic if Brothers did considering they were one of the main campaigners for the rule change this year and would have won the Premiership based on last years ruling.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Br
Tip - not sure if it changes your opinion but Sunnybank finished 2nd on 53 points and Brothers finished 3rd on 56 points. Not exactly a massive ladder difference there to show 'the best team' taking home the bacon.

Side note - which team scored the first try? It would be rather ironic if Brothers did considering they were one of the main campaigners for the rule change this year and would have won the Premiership based on last years ruling.

Brothers scored first points, they were actually up 15-3 at one stage.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The beauty of the situation was that Brothers pushed for the rule change and it came back to bite them. 2 years in a row now Brothers have drawn GF's and have come away loosers.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
The beauty of the situation was that Brothers pushed for the rule change and it came back to bite them. 2 years in a row now Brothers have drawn GF's and have come away loosers.
Brothers got knocked out in the semi last year not the final.
I know it would be hard for brothers to swallow but they would still probably agree the rule is now set up the right way if there is no extra time.
The teams bellow you on the table should have to beat you to win the trophy.
It rewards the higher teams consistency through out the year.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't get it... might be just a NZ mentality... but you cant win a Premiership from a draw. No matter what age.

And I still don't understand why grown men only play 30mins halves in the lower grades over here as well.

Maybe that's why the ABs are superior?? ;)

Solution:
5mins, each way, extra time. Golden Point.
It would be very exciting and all out attack!!

Its within the '90mins' ridiculous rule as well.

On that, and I'm sure someone has brought it up... but what if an 18 year old plays a full game of Prem Colts (Under 19) then benches for Prems.... and then gets thrown in early in the Prem game due to injury.

Who monitors his time on field for the day?
Is it ok because Prems isn't "Under 19 level"?

In NZ - the player monitors!!

"Coach - I'm good to go" or "Coach - I'm stuffed"

Stumpy

Allen Oxlade (6)
The big issue is that the referee played advantage to Brothers then withdrew it straight before Sunnybank scored. (Better footage of it on Youtube).

10590446_828612573829805_618242949514176529_n.jpg

PlayedinHeaven

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think this years rule is better than last years but the fact the Premier Colts competition have had 3 Separate finals games decided on rules and not scores in the last few years makes it sad. Everyone looking at each other and the crowd not knowing whether to cheer but instead searching for a rule book at the end of the game is not a good look for the 'Premier Competition'.
Having spoke to a few brothers players after the game on Sunday it was not as much the rule they were concerned about they were blowing up at that photo which stumpy posted above.

Captioned by the Player (So apparently the Refs changed the hand signals for grand Final Day, this is the Hand signal for Play on, cheers for the memo QRU)

That is the photo of about 2 minutes after full time with sunnybank picking and driving the referee called 'Green release!..... release Green! then put his hand out for advantage to Brothers and then hand straight in the air to blow the penalty before pulling the whistle from his mouth, Sunnybank pass twice, score in the corner and take the premiership. when questioned frantically by the brothers 10 the ref denied ever calling it or putting his hand in the air, which is clearly incorrect as shown by the photo and by the refs microphone which you can hear on the replay that's on the qru website.

Its a shame that on the biggest day of the year these blunders can happen. Watching in real time I thought the filth had got the penalty and won the game and was confused by everything that happened after that. I still thought they had won after Sunnybank kicked the goal, nobody in the crowd knew the rule and everybody was confused to see Sunnybank jumping around, not a 'premier' spectacle imo.

The confusion also continued into the premier grade game where i could see both Uni and Sunnybank coaches screaming at match day officials at different times about rulings.... Sunnybank are still blowing up about the scrum situation which i agree was a complete farce however i am glad that Uni Won as they were the best team all year, Same as GPS in reserve grade.

Pretty disappointed with the whole day though, to much chat about refs and rules not enough chat about footy.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Seems to me a few clubs will be focusing on front row recruiting/converting during the off-season. I know its been mentioned on here before but with the rule changes it may entice more guys to give it a go. I know at GPS this year the club was fairly light on in props across all grades and colts.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
To not have a suitable replacement at this level is atrocious, where's all the props from the lower grades?

Sam Cochrane strained his calf on the Monday between the games doing Boot Camp for fitness (I know - a prop doing additional fitness the week of a GF - he hasn't lived it down yet). Pat Fepuleai was pushing to come back from injury (judging by compression garments he wore everywhere for the past few months I'm assuming ankle or calf) and Elijah Palupe hadn't exactly racked up too much Premier Rugby game time prior to finals.

The decision was made to take the risk on those guys combining to last the 80 against a pack containing arguably Australia's best scrummaging prop.

Where were the props from the lower grades?
  • Reserve grade played that morning. Due to other players getting injured and needing substituting, most of the front row played close to 80min
  • Brisbane First grade props split between the Uni 3rd grade team playing in the GF on the Saturday afternoon, and the Reggies team on the Sunday morning.
And you name the bench along with the starting 15 prior to the game - not really able to call someone down from the stands somewhere during the second half when players start going down.

Status
Not open for further replies.