• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Harry Parker has now played in 7 finals games to take home 4 from 4 premierships and has scored a try in each game for a total of 11 tries. Not a bad effort

The weekend was Herman Porters 4th premier grade premiership (3 at uni 1 at Easts)

Wade, Cochrane, Buchanan, Thompson and Tuffley all took home their 3rd.

Actually the only player in the uni 23 to win their first was Pat fepuleai

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
Have you ever had a go controlling the game yourself TT ??? Maybe if more people with such intricate knowledge of law and comp rules like yourself got involved rather than those who were hopeless players so took up the whistle the pool of refs would be a lot stronger.
Anyhow rather than complain about the refs decisions take his influence out of the game by far outscoring the opponent as did easts 6ths. If a game comes down to the last play the teams are close enough for either to deserve the win.
Another small bit of advice would be for the players and coaches to actually read the law book and game managemet guidlines rather than scream and yell at the refs for applying laws and directives.
Or Easts could recruit props.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
Or with the new engagement laws convince those who were too scared of the hit and chase to consider scrummaging again. Not meaning to have a go but understandably those in the lower grades who have families to support were being conservative in not wanting injury from the hit and chase which caused props bodies to be forced in all sorts of ways. The new scrums are a lot more stable and packs seem tighter because the pushing position is naturally achieved by the whole pack now on engagement therefore safer.
I even know of kids who previously said they cant prop because of pretend neck shoulder soreness (out of fear of the engagement) are coming back into the fold and playing where they should creating more depth in the years to come.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Harry Parker has now played in 7 finals games for take home 4 from 4 premierships and has scored a try in each game for a total of 11 tries. Not a bad effort

On the weekend was Herman Porters 4th premier grade premiership (3 at uni 1 at Easts)

Wade, Cochrane, Buchanan, Thompson and Tuffley all took home their 3rd.

Actually the only player in the uni 23 to win their first was Pat fepuleai

These players won Colts premierships too - add them to the four from four category alongside Parker. Admittedly neither Buchanan or Chochrane are prolific tryscorers though.

T

Tigers Tale

RH I don't want to detract from Harry Parker's achievements which are impressive but wasn't he injured last year at finals time when Uni were beaten by GPS in the prelim final?

If so, how do you get 4 from 4 Premierships?

Wouldn't it be 3 premierships in 4 years? i.e.:
2 Colts Premierships (2011,2012);
Premier Grade Prelim (2013) - which I don't think he played in;
1 Premier Grade (2014)

As I said I don't want to detract from his achievements - he's a fine player. Was he the leading try scorer in Premier Grade this year? He was the leader for a long time if he wasn't ultimately the highest at year's end.

I hope he is given plenty of game time in the NRC so that he can show his wares.

I don't think every winger in Super Rugby needs to be 100+ kg. Speed kills!!

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
RH I don't want to detract from Harry Parker's achievements which are impressive but wasn't he injured last year at finals time when Uni were beaten by GPS in the prelim final?

If so, how do you get 4 from 4 Premierships?

Wouldn't it be 3 premierships in 4 years? i.e.:
2 Colts Premierships (2011,2012);
Premier Grade Prelim (2013) - which I don't think he played in;
1 Premier Grade (2014)

As I said I don't want to detract from his achievements - he's a fine player. Was he the leading try scorer in Premier Grade this year? He was the leader for a long time if he wasn't ultimately the highest at year's end.

I hope he is given plenty of game time in the NRC so that he can show his wares.

I don't think every winger in Super Rugby needs to be 100+ kg. Speed kills!!
Sorry because he didn't play finals or much at all last year due to injury so I didn't count it.
He has played finals for 4 teams - colts 1 and off the bench for prem colts in 2011. PC - 2012 and prems yesterday

T

Tigers Tale

That is an impressive record - maybe he can add an NRC title to the list in a couple of months?

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
One of the stand outs, if not THE stand out, for me was Connor Mitchell. He was incredible in the first half and very solid in the second. You'd have to think he was the smallest forward out there yet he made huge contributions all round the park, including being a massive pest at the breakdown. Certainly took it to the "bigger names" he was up against. I'm continually impressed by that kid, very unlucky not to be selected in any NRC squads.

T

Tigers Tale

Filth look on the bright side you are a better chance of winning the next premiership today than you were on Sunday morning.

T

Tigers Tale

Jets - a little birdy told me that the Sunnybank Community Club grant stream to the Rugby Club may have run its course and be no longer - is that correct?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Jets - a little birdy told me that the Sunnybank Community Club grant stream to the Rugby Club may have run its course and be no longer - is that correct?
I am not that important to know what's going on at board level.

Being that Sunnybank Community & Sports Club is Sunnybank Rugby Club I can't see it happening. The 3 Clubs share the same board and the rugby members hold the voting rites to the Club. If you were on the board and stopped the grants to the rugby clubs you wouldn't be there for long.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was an intense game on Sunday. Very exciting for the GF to go down to the last play. Sunnybank had their chances to lock the game up but didn't take them. Well done to Uni for getting there in the end. They were the best team all year.

For Sunnybank I thought Shane Tasi was great. Not just for his 2 tries but for everything he did on the day. Also Liam Gill was outstanding. He should be in the Wallaby set up (behind Hooper). I'm surprised he isn't in the City NRC team this week.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gill is injured Jets - just out for a weeek. HE almost tried too hard on occasions on the weekend, but he was always there.

I agree with you on Tasi. He was probably my MOM regardless of result. What's his story? He came off the bench last week and made a strong impact too.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Don't know too much about him Reg. Former Norths player I think. He has been great for Sunnybank all year apart from some issues with his throw. Loves to score a try and seems to bag multiples in quite a few games.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
I am not sure if it has been mentioned or not but Ben Suisala from brothers has made the NSW Country team....I wonder if anyone else from Qld Premier grade has made any other non-qld teams.

I know Mitch Wade is down playing for Vikings.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Shane Tasi is a former Norths boy... and will be welcome back with open arms at any stage :)
He moved to the Southside at the end of 2013 so decided to play down there for the convenience as he has a young family. It was obviously a good decision as he has flourished under the Dragons system.
Played NZ schools in 2005, was also in the NZ 20s squad not long after that.
Came over to NZ in or around 2011 I think.
Went to Kings College in Auckland on a rugby scholarship.
Can play either side of the scrum but is really a hooker, with a great skillset.
He can also kick goals.
Hopefully gets a shot in the NRC at some stage as he has really found some form in the later part of this season.
Shit, I should write his CV for him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.