• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
TT, GPS Reggies only lost one game during the season. As you said, they were clearly the best side in the Premier Reserve comp and all season the club was fairly confident they'd get the job done.

On another note, must be tough for Brothers Prem Colts players and staff, two years in a row they've 'lost' the game due to the rule on draws. Funnily enough the rule was changed this year from first try to higher position on the ladder yet they still fell victim to it. Surely in all the 'Premier' level grades there needs to be some form of extra time played in finals?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
see IRB rules here regarding Under 19s.:

IRB.JPG

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I've been pushing for U20 Colts since they reverted to U19 (from U20) in 2000. It seems to be a better transition for schoolboy players to step up to U20 rules while they are still playing against (theoretically) smaller and less experienced players.

I can't say I'm a fan of front rowers first encountering full scrums when scrummaging against fully-grown men, often in lower grades. Even an U20s comp, or a grade recognised as U20s (or similar), would do me as a transition period. Back in 2002 the graduating Colts from 2001 (who lost three from three GFs in 2001) had a run around as the 4th or 5th grade team IIRC.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The team who cause the uncontested scrums need to drop a player. It's part of the laws.
And if only the week kneed QRU would actually stand by this for teams that start without contested srums I would be happy, as I said before the Filth have a team in friday night finals again, and said team hasn't had a contested scrum in lat few years to my knowledge!!

T

Tigers Tale

Lads - you are all being a bit heavy handed towards the QRU - Refabbit will have your posts deleted for questioning those in authority!!!

Looks to me that you complaints should be directed to the IRB not the QRU.

And as for the Friday night Filth not packing a contested scrum in 3 years - that is a joke - how they can qualify for finals footy is just outrageous.

Mind you there weren't too many contested scrums in the 4th grade GF on Saturday. I think that was Souths calling uncontested from the kick off yet they had two 130kg guys sitting on the bench!!!

As for Brothers Colts missing out again due to a draw - didn't the Breakers Colts draw a couple of GFs going back a few years (Lost one /Won one).
Maybe if they can't play extra time then maybe they need to come back the following weekend for a grand final replay or worse award a shared premiership. I think it would be great to be involved in a replay - great theatre!!

T

Tigers Tale

Is it any wonder that at times the refereeing can lack quality and consistency in QPR and the lower grades when you look at the performance of the bloke who refereed the test match in Sydney on Saturday.

This is a general comment on QPR refereeing in no way is it referring to any particular referee or match.

clubland

Bob McCowan (2)
Lads - you are all being a bit heavy handed towards the QRU - Refabbit will have your posts deleted for questioning those in authority!!!

Looks to me that you complaints should be directed to the IRB not the QRU.

And as for the Friday night Filth not packing a contested scrum in 3 years - that is a joke - how they can qualify for finals footy is just outrageous.

Mind you there weren't too many contested scrums in the 4th grade GF on Saturday. I think that was Souths calling uncontested from the kick off yet they had two 130kg guys sitting on the bench!!!

As for Brothers Colts missing out again due to a draw - didn't the Breakers Colts draw a couple of GFs going back a few years (Lost one /Won one).
Maybe if they can't play extra time then maybe they need to come back the following weekend for a grand final replay or worse award a shared premiership. I think it would be great to be involved in a replay - great theatre!!

Get your facts right before you question clubs on uncontested scrums. it was Easts that went uncontested in the GF.Disgraceful and very weak.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think criticizing teams from any club lower grades for not having a contested scrum is a bit unfair.

Safety is the first priority in scrums and the fact is once it gets down to those 3rd/4th/Friday night comps the number of trained front rowers is going to diminish. If we're talking specifically about the teams mentioned above then i'd think it would be even more of an issue at clubs like Easts and Brothers who haven't been as strong throughout the lower grades recently.

Its been a while since I've seen a team deliberately leave front rowers out of a team in order to gain an advantage from going uncontested.

T

Tigers Tale

Clubland - with a 43-0 result I really don't think it would have changed the result in 4th grade, but please accept my apologies for casting aspersions at the Magpies.

clubland

Bob McCowan (2)
Clubland - with a 43-0 result I really don't think it would have changed the result in 4th grade, but please accept my apologies for casting aspersions at the Magpies.

Not questioning the result.Souths were always up against it with the team that Easts had.Calling uncontested a half hour before kickoff giving the opposition no chance to change team structure is very unfair. Definitely not what 6th grade rugby is about.

T

Tigers Tale

Clubland - I think the Big Dog's post and your last sentence (quoted below) sum up the situation - it is "Social" Rugby mate.

"Definitely not what 6th grade rugby is about."

To their credit you don't hear Sunnybank whinging about the uncontested scrum(s) they had in premier grade yesterday.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think criticizing teams from any club lower grades for not having a contested scrum is a bit unfair.

Safety is the first priority in scrums and the fact is once it gets down to those 3rd/4th/Friday night comps the number of trained front rowers is going to diminish. If we're talking specifically about the teams mentioned above then i'd think it would be even more of an issue at clubs like Easts and Brothers who haven't been as strong throughout the lower grades recently.

Its been a while since I've seen a team deliberately leave front rowers out of a team in order to gain an advantage from going uncontested.
Can't agree TBH, I say ok if you can't dield front rowers in lower grades, it is fair enough, but you can't win a game if you cannot play to the laws. As I said Filth friday night team have not put down a contested srum that I have heard of in a couple of years, and can still win a comp?? I agree some of these teams are social/fun teams, but there fore they wouldn't mind not getting points. And I have seen it happen in other grades to often, and consider it pretty poor of QRU to allow this to carry on!!

T

Tigers Tale

Clubland further to your crack at the Easts 4th grade side going uncontested on Saturday - with the second row Easts had in 4th grade on Saturday it would have been to their advantage if they had been able to piece together a front row.

You can't just front up with a front row for the final these guys have to play the number of requisite games throughout the season in 4th grade to qualify for finals footy. If you have issues up the grades with the front row players that can leave things pretty short for front rowers in the lower grades.

Easts lost Kimmince & Paraka for most of the season and lost the two Parker brothers at the end of 2013, so that's 4 front row options that Easts had to find replacements for without even taking into account what happened in the lower grades. So unfortunately throughout the course of the year there wouldn't have been too many front rowers left once you got down the 4th (effectively 6th) grade at Tigerland this year.

So I retract my dig (which is what it was) earlier today about the Friday Night Filth side - at least they are out there having a run around and staying involved in the game/their club and if the scrums aren't contested in the lower grades does it really matter.

So I agree with the Big Dog on his comments earlier today.

T

Tigers Tale

Seriously I think a bigger issue for the QRU is the standard of refereeing across the board rather than whether a 4th or 5th grade side goes to uncontested scrums from the kick off.

warhorse

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Clubland further to your crack at the Easts 4th grade side going uncontested on Saturday - with the second row Easts had in 4th grade on Saturday it would have been to their advantage if they had been able to piece together a front row.

You can't just front up with a front row for the final these guys have to play the number of requisite games throughout the season in 4th grade to qualify for finals footy. If you have issues up the grades with the front row players that can leave things pretty short for front rowers in the lower grades.

Easts lost Kimmince & Paraka for most of the season and lost the two Parker brothers at the end of 2013, so that's 4 front row options that Easts had to find replacements for without even taking into account what happened in the lower grades. So unfortunately throughout the course of the year there wouldn't have been too many front rowers left once you got down the 4th (effectively 6th) grade at Tigerland this year.

So I retract my dig (which is what it was) earlier today about the Friday Night Filth side - at least they are out there having a run around and staying involved in the game/their club and if the scrums aren't contested in the lower grades does it really matter.

So I agree with the Big Dog on his comments earlier today.

You can apply for dispensation for players who haven't played the requisite number of games based on the fact that they have been playing up the grades due to injuries in teams above. Did Easts do this?

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The Premier Colts result was bitterly disappointing. I thought Brothers were the better team, leading the whole game. The IRB has to change that rule, its ridiculous.

A great turnout by Brothers fans. Pepper spray was utilised and supporters from both clubs thrown out of Ballymore after a brawl on the XXXX Hill erupted at full-time. Nothing too serious. Just too much alcohol and a crippling sun got the better of some.

I hope you weren't involved, Jets? ;) Haha.

ruckhudson

Peter Burge (5)
Seriously I think a bigger issue for the QRU is the standard of refereeing across the board rather than whether a 4th or 5th grade side goes to uncontested scrums from the kick off.
Have you ever had a go controlling the game yourself TT ??? Maybe if more people with such intricate knowledge of law and comp rules like yourself got involved rather than those who were hopeless players so took up the whistle the pool of refs would be a lot stronger.
Anyhow rather than complain about the refs decisions take his influence out of the game by far outscoring the opponent as did easts 6ths. If a game comes down to the last play the teams are close enough for either to deserve the win.
Another small bit of advice would be for the players and coaches to actually read the law book and game managemet guidlines rather than scream and yell at the refs for applying laws and directives.

Status
Not open for further replies.