• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher

Ward Prentice (10)
They've recruited fairly aggressively in Colts from what I've heard. Did you see any of their training session?

For a club which has gone so well in colts for years now it's disappointing that there hasn't been the transfer of players to grades. Does anyone know where the colts from 2012 & 2013 have headed to?
A handful went to Easts, Shane Combrink, Kimmo, Cox twins, Andrew Barnes, Conor Malan etc but the bottom line is they basically drop off the radar. Whether it was Easts or any other club, the ones who were seeking a pathway to higher honours basically had to move to Brisbane where the National Academy was based. A huge issue is that the Premier side has not been competitive for a number of years and this will e another

zacf01

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone got any info on the NRC expressions of interest?

Apparently, the QRU's persistance to get as much money as possible (ie: Junior Gold fees and registration) has put off a lot of clubs.

Apparently a meeting between some of the key heads at Sunnybank, Easts, Brothers, Souths and GPS is happening this week to sort this shit out. They aren't happy with the QRU.

This is third hand information, so I could be wrong,

I think you will find Junior Gold Fees and Registrations were set by and money willl go to the ARU, not the QRU

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Apparently Wests and Souths have ended up with the remnants of the GPS coaching staff who were given the flick during the re-structure. A few handy coaches in the bunch, wouldn't be surprised if a couple blokes follow with them and provide some more depth to those clubs.

Any more word on how Norths is looking? I heard they've lost a few regulars but also gained a few new faces, particularly some handy players who were with the Brisbane Samoa side that played in the King and Queens of the islands comp.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Where did GPS get the new coaches from, TheBigDog? Did the 3rd and 4th grade coaches stay? Suffice to say that GPS have been the most consistent club in the grades, along par with University in the past few years. I don't why you would give them the flick.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Filth, I believe there are all new coaches in 3rd and 4th grade as well as Colts 1 and 2. From the names I've had mentioned to me they are all recent ex-players (most played in 2013) looking to either hang up the boots or take a year off. And of course Drahm has come across from Brothers to help out with Prems.

From what I understand in 2012 and 2013 the 3rd and 4th grade teams stayed fairly intact, same players, captains etc (hence 4th grade going back to back) but lots of those players are either taking a break or taking it more seriously so with the change of culture they thought to bring in new coaches for a fresh start and lose a certain 'exclusive' stigma that had been built with the teams. Last years 3rds coaches have been promoted to 2nd grade as well.

T

Tigers Tale

Rugby Reg any inside word as to the makeup of the Reds A squad to play Force A on Friday in Perth?

I see the Reds will have a 26 man squad for this Fridays trial v the Rebels, with Ant Faiinga to come back in so I'd say that Jonah Placid will probably be cut from the Reds and play for Reds A.

I'm interested to see whether some of the young tigers - Ready, Paraka, Seuteni, Gunn - get the call up for Reds A.

One would think that the front row could be Kite, Paraka & Ready. Pretty young but all TUF - tough.

Presume that McDurling, Robinson, etc would be in Reds A.

Beau Robinson may spend more time in a Souths jersey than a Reds jersey this year. Which would further strengthen the magpies' chances.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I reckon Placid is better than Toua, or certainly in years to come he will be. Easts' backline will be bloody strong this year, which is disappointing.

Has Turner gone down to GPS yet? Or has he gone to another club?

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
From what I understand Turner hasn't decided where he is going - this is coming from people who know him well. Given he won't be playing much (you would think) it probably won't affect too much of the Premier Rugby 2014 season.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth

Jonah Placid is a special talent that will get better with experience and maturity.

Michael Gunn is special too - he is already mature beyond his age.

Easts are very lucky to have both of them at their disposal at least in the sort term because both will play a lot of S15 rugby before they hang up their boots.

Jonah having grown up in Rocky also has a bit of RL experience so we will have to ensure that they don't get their grubby hands onto him.

Gunn has a few quality #7s in QLD/Aust ahead of him though.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think Easts have done well because they don't stuff around with putting players in colts. Just get them straight into Premier Grade.

T

Tigers Tale

Mr Filth - it wasn't until the second half of the season that Gunn & Placid became regular members of the Easts Prem side last year - they both started in colts.

I think Coach Richards was quite sound in how he brought them on as a full season in Prems may well have seen them bottoming out come finals but as it was they were on the way up in the finals.

It will be interesting to see how he uses Wilkin when he's back fit and ready.
But I doubt it will be at No.8.

I think you will find that the No.8 at Easts in the early stages of the season will be worn by a player who was at Souths or Norths last year. The #6 will probably be worn by a Welsh bloke.

The Easts team to play Sydney Uni (22/3/14) is going to be a lottery given the Aust U20s Championships (21-26 Mar) are on that week and the Reds A side could also be playing in the Pacific Nations Cup final the next day (23/3/14).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Has the Reds A team list come out yet, TT?

1- Pettowa Paraka (Easts)
2- Andrew Ready (Easts)
3- Albert Anae (Sunnybank)
4- Dave McDuling (University)
5- Blake Enever (Easts)
6- Michael Gunn (Easts)
7- Beau Robinson (Souths) C
8- Tim Buchanan (University)
9- Nigel Genia (Wests?)
10- Sam Greene (Wests)
11- Chris Kuridrani (GPS)
12- UJ Seuteni (Easts)
13- Sam Johnson (?)
14- Kimami Sitauti (Souths?)
15- Jake McIntyre (Sunnybank)

Bench: Feleti Kaituu (?), Sef Faagaase (Wests?), Phil Kite (GPS), Adam Korczyk (University), Lolo Fakasolia (?), Scott Gale (University?), Veresa Mataitini (Norths)

Good to see so many talented Premier guys getting a gig

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Great to see so many Brothers players getting picked!

I don't have any issues at all except I hope Michael Bond is injured just so I don't throw this computer out the window. Clearly should be #12 or #13.

Breakdown

Charlie Fox (21)
1- Pettowa Paraka (Easts)
2- Andrew Ready (Easts)
3- Albert Anae (Sunnybank)
4- Dave McDuling (University)
5- Blake Enever (Easts)
6- Michael Gunn (Easts)
7- Beau Robinson (Souths) C
8- Tim Buchanan (University)
9- Nigel Genia (Wests?)
10- Sam Greene (Wests)
11- Chris Kuridrani (GPS)
12- UJ Seuteni (Easts)
13- Sam Johnson (?)
14- Kimami Sitauti (Souths?)
15- Jake McIntyre (Sunnybank)

Bench: Feleti Kaituu (?), Sef Faagaase (Wests?), Phil Kite (GPS), Adam Korczyk (University), Lolo Fakasolia (?), Scott Gale (University?), Veresa Mataitini (Norths)

Good to see so many talented Premier guys getting a gig

Kimamai - Brothers
Feleti - Souths
Sef - Uni
Lolo -Sunnybank

Not sure about Sam Johnson, but the rest look correct.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Great to see so many Brothers players getting picked!

I don't have any issues at all except I hope Michael Bond is injured just so I don't throw this computer out the window. Clearly should be #12 or #13.

Mate how on earth did the likes of Freney, Campbell and Beauchamp miss out!?!? It's a travesty I say, a travesty!

Who is Sam Johnson btw? Anyone care to fill me in?

Status
Not open for further replies.