• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Just out of interest, how much club time will the QLD A players get this year?

I think the Queensland A programme is approaching wrap-up with that Pacific Rugby Cup competition- 23 March. From there those eligible for U20s may still be involved in the U20s selection for the JWC.

Theoretically that means that they should be available for most of the season, however practically it really depends on Reds' and Wallabies' injuries and form.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Are you fired up for the trial on Saturday?^

Not overly Filth- I get more fired up over games with competition points, but even then that's not much either.
I've learned over the years that the "rivalries" and club v club emotions as often expressed in forums like these are largely manufactured because all the players know each other - many for years and years - they all get along (largely) and when bad things happen onfield or off they're the very first to help out. People might wear a different jersey, but they're still hardworking, committed people who love rugby.

Yeah I like it of my team wins, and I'll cheer for them pretty loudly while the game is on, but if they don't I'm not going to cry or lose sleep over it.

T

Tigers Tale

Not overly Filth- I get more fired up over games with competition points, but even then that's not much either.
I've learned over the years that the "rivalries" and club v club emotions as often expressed in forums like these are largely manufactured because all the players know each other - many for years and years - they all get along (largely) and when bad things happen onfield or off they're the very first to help out. People might wear a different jersey, but they're still hardworking, committed people who love rugby.

Yeah I like it of my team wins, and I'll cheer for them pretty loudly while the game is on, but if they don't I'm not going to cry or lose sleep over it.

Not often that I agree with a post of yours Cat_A but I agree Rugby Clubs are more alike than they are different. They all have a mix of personalities, playing potential & politics. The QPR/Hospital Cup is a great comp because over time all the existing 9 clubs have experienced success mind you for Norths - it has been a while between drinks given their last Premiership was Teachers-Norths in the early 1970s, so if I'd like to see anyone come from the clouds and take out a premiership it would be Norths. The same cannot be said for the Shute Shield where only one club is capable of winning it as present.

There isn't a club ground in the comp where you leave not hit by the community & rugby spirit of the place. The clubs give the ARU/QRU a soul & spirit, without a vibrant club competition the game would be in a very much worse state in this country.

But we do thrive on club tribalism which has developed over history and will not be there in the NRC.

I agree that the players themselves whilst mortal enemies on the pitch do have mutual respect for each other.

T

Tigers Tale

Reds A are through to the final of the Pacific Rugby Cup to be played on 23 March regardless of the result of the remaining game between Junior Japan and the Fiji Warriors because if Fiji finish on the same competition points as Reds A which they will, the Reds A proceed through due to the fact they won the head to head clash between the two sides.

The QRU have tried to push back the date due to the fact that the Reds 28 man squad will still be in SA next weekend but to no avail as it is an IRB tournament and the date is set by the IRB who won't budge, so the Tigers will have to take on Sydney Uni without any of their representative players.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
Reds A are through to the final of the Pacific Rugby Cup to be played on 23 March regardless of the result of the remaining game between Junior Japan and the Fiji Warriors because if Fiji finish on the same competition points as Reds A which they will, the Reds A proceed through due to the fact they won the head to head clash between the two sides.

The QRU have tried to push back the date due to the fact that the Reds 28 man squad will still be in SA next weekend but to no avail as it is an IRB tournament and the date is set by the IRB who won't budge, so the Tigers will have to take on Sydney Uni without any of their representative players.

Just a quick note though... Whilst it's a bit disappointing we won't see any of our rep players, it will make a victory all the sweeter if we were to knock off Sydney Uni with a side made up of genuine club Rugby players.

T

Tigers Tale

SOTG

Based upon the trial teams v Souths and Wests, and the fact that most of the 'Premier" Game team will be rested this week v Norths I think it will be something like this:

1 Jack Kimmince
2 Matt Randell
3 Kirwan Sanday
4 James Moore/Owain Lloyd
5 Greg Riley
6 Manasa/ Owain Lloyd
7 Josh Parry
8 Johnny Kalavata
9 Jack Mullins
10 Matt Brandon
11 Matt Carroll
12 EJ (Eddie Jones)' Fa'Aofa
13 Toby White
14 Johnny Wilder
15 Emanuel Bell

T

Tigers Tale

Hopefully the Waratahs A side are also in the final and that Sydney Uni have a number of U20s involved in the Aust U20 Champs as well.

Great opportunity for these guys to play in front of what will hopefully be a large parochial Bottomley crowd.

Battle of the tongue between Josh Parry & Tom Carter(former Waratah #12) is going to be a highlight I think!!

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
SOTG

Based upon the trial teams v Souths and Wests, and the fact that most of the 'Premier" Game team will be rested this week v Norths I think it will be something like this:

1 Jack Kimmince
2 Matt Randell
3 Kirwan Sanday
4 James Moore/Owain Lloyd
5 Greg Riley
6 Manasa/ Owain Lloyd
7 Josh Parry
8 Johnny Kalavata
9 Jack Mullins
10 Matt Brandon
11 Matt Carroll
12 EJ (Eddie Jones)' Fa'Aofa
13 Toby White
14 Johnny Wilder
15 Emanuel Bell

Now forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all those highlighted red did not start in last years QPR final. Obviously Kimmince, Riley and Parry have proven themselves at Easts over the years, but it will be interestring to see how the others go in their first big game for the Tigers.

Also, I don't think Parry will be the only one getting in Carter's ear. I think there will be a few thousand people with words to say.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

From my experience it is the games against people you know the best that are the "hardest". You have extra motivation to get one up on someone so you can give them a hard time for it until you play again. I always enjoyed the Uni v Brothers games as a player, especially in the years just after school, as I knew a lot of the players in the Filth teams so it was great seeing them out on a Saturday night and casually discussing the game, as long as we won.

Rivalries make the competition more enjoyable.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
From my experience it is the games against people you know the best that are the "hardest". You have extra motivation to get one up on someone so you can give them a hard time for it until you play again. I always enjoyed the Uni v Brothers games as a player, especially in the years just after school, as I knew a lot of the players in the Filth teams so it was great seeing them out on a Saturday night and casually discussing the game, as long as we won.

Rivalries make the competition more enjoyable.

Agree with what you're saying from a playing perspective but my personal experience (especially that of a few years ago) the rugby community is made up of all sorts of awesome people who wear all types of jerseys and who will get stuck in to help a mate. Agree that rivalries can add to the fun, but exactly as TT said, clubs are more alike than they are different.

So while for some on these forums the rivalries are a highlight (totally understandable), my own feeling is that any time both teams shake hands and walk off the field together after a hard fought game there's nothing for me to get too worked up about.

T

Tigers Tale

SOTG - Tyrell Barker would also be a candidate to wear the #6 next Saturday.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Someone has to ask Brandon (or anyone else who will have played both Aus Club Champ games for Easts) which is better to play in - Stadium Australia 3/4 empty or Bottomley Park packted to the rafters.

Status
Not open for further replies.