• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Would love to see the Fainga'a twins on the field together for GPS for the first time but looks like that won't happen. Surprised Saia isn't being told to play though, get some good scrum practice.

Student of the Game

Peter Burge (5)
Should be an interesting weekend for Easts this weekend. In Premier and Premier Reserve Grade we desprately need wins, ideally with bonus points.

As for the lower grades, assuming Premier Reserve take a number of freshies to the coast with them, the depleted first grade lineup, and the roll on affect to second and third grade, could cause some less than favourable results. It is particularly scary from an Easts point of view following Logan's win over Norths in First Grade at the weekend.

I'm not sure Logan's inclusion in the Brisbane competition is particularly fair on their oppenents as it sees Logan's best team, take on the third best side of the remaining teams. Is anyone else slightly bothered by this?

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Student of the Game - if we're trying to make Logan a Premier standard club then I think its the necessary step. Its the same with their only colts team playing in colts 2.

You can't just throw them straight into the deep end, they are a growing club and still don't have the depth of the larger clubs. In fact the 85-0 score vs Norths to Logan 1sts on the weekend past is by far their largest winning margin of the year, most of their games have been won by only 10 or so points which tells me, yes they are a very good team but probably need some more time before moving higher. It also hows good growth from Gold Coast being able to field a Premier Reserve team.

Dyson

Peter Burge (5)
Logan will end up losing players if they stay in the grade they are in. Last year they made the finals in 1st grade wich is now reserve grade. A club doesn't go forward by it's top team going backwards.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Red Heavy, it's obvious Uni will be in the finals. What would the team be if no injuries occur? (and consider the reds coming back).
It would be very hard to beat.
I have a funny feeling that the main stream non wallaby reds will not be partaking in club land post the super season as they will have to rest up for the ARC.
Fringe players like dules, JJ and CB might come back for the heavies which will be great but the current crop at UQ is proving pretty hard to beat even without them.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think he is deserving of a crack too. I think good players should be exposed to Prem Grade as soon as possible after moving into Seniors. But I was refering to the other colts grad T. Milosevic aka milo.
I agree, I think Milosevic has been very good in the games I've seen this year. Olsen as well has been quite good, but I'm not sure he's quite there yet.

Problem is, with Gunn, Moore, Riley, Parry. Rokosuka, Richards clearly has his back row options set.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
@Dan54, apologies you feel that way but we just don't have the players.
There is a big duty of care here. We can't throw players into that position who cannot handle it. Fact.
We are trying to rebuild and will slowly attract players back, but at the moment, we have a heap of boys who just want to play and unfortunately non of them are front rowers.
It's not like a flanker or centre position, as I'm sure you can appreciate.
It is a position where if things go wrong, they can stay wrong forever.
We aren't prepared to put any player in that position.
We needed to take adequate front row cover to Bond as per the ARU rules, and as it was, our assistant premier coach packed down in reggies due to the shortages we have in those positions this year.
We are actively trying to recruit, but as you can appreciate, it is hard due to our past results... Who would want to play for Norths??
As I said we are working on it, there are a lot of changes off the field and we will have Norths running strong again soon, but unfortunately it will take time.
At the moment, we have boys who want to play, which allows us, at the moment to only just, field 3rd, 2nd and 1st grade sides. Do we push these guys away from the game because they aren't front rowers? From our club because they aren't the right position for us?
Sorry you didn't get to beat us by more and I'm sure in round 2 you will be shown wonderful Eagles hospitality at the Nest, whilst we will aim to be more competitive for you.

Sent from my mind......

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Student of the Game - if we're trying to make Logan a Premier standard club then I think its the necessary step. Its the same with their only colts team playing in colts 2.

You can't just throw them straight into the deep end, they are a growing club and still don't have the depth of the larger clubs. In fact the 85-0 score vs Norths to Logan 1sts on the weekend past is by far their largest winning margin of the year, most of their games have been won by only 10 or so points which tells me, yes they are a very good team but probably need some more time before moving higher. It also hows good growth from Gold Coast being able to field a Premier Reserve team.
image.jpg

Thanks for the insight BigDog not sure on ten point scorelines but take your word for it. While it's not ideal to playing in this grade that is what the QRU has suggested and is being done to satisfy the Brisbane rugby community. Still don't have depth of the other clubs interesting but progress is probably exceeding some of the clubs that are playing in your so called premier competition. Either way keep making excuses why they can't be there I suppose it will continue to stay that way. But they will continue to work hard to get where they believe the club can be. Interestingly 5/6 senior teams are in the top four with 2 leading their respected comps, and 2 sitting second that includes the colts. While only early days progress is very positive down Logan way.
But I suppose we must remember as everyone puts it it's only lower grades, to me still important part of the rugby community that needs to be nurtured as much as the premier competition.

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
@Dan54, apologies you feel that way but we just don't have the players.
There is a big duty of care here. We can't throw players into that position who cannot handle it. Fact.
We are trying to rebuild and will slowly attract players back, but at the moment, we have a heap of boys who just want to play and unfortunately non of them are front rowers.
It's not like a flanker or centre position, as I'm sure you can appreciate.
It is a position where if things go wrong, they can stay wrong forever.
We aren't prepared to put any player in that position.
We needed to take adequate front row cover to Bond as per the ARU rules, and as it was, our assistant premier coach packed down in reggies due to the shortages we have in those positions this year.
We are actively trying to recruit, but as you can appreciate, it is hard due to our past results. Who would want to play for Norths??
As I said we are working on it, there are a lot of changes off the field and we will have Norths running strong again soon, but unfortunately it will take time.
At the moment, we have boys who want to play, which allows us, at the moment to only just, field 3rd, 2nd and 1st grade sides. Do we push these guys away from the game because they aren't front rowers? From our club because they aren't the right position for us?
Sorry you didn't get to beat us by more and I'm sure in round 2 you will be shown wonderful Eagles hospitality at the Nest, whilst we will aim to be more competitive for you.

Sent from my mind..

TrainerGB may I say the professionalism of your Norths teams at Logan was absolutely excellent and they set solid foundations on what you're trying to achieve long term. While there was no scrummaging that day so be it and your valid comments should be noted by all. Keep up the good work at the nest because player culture is looking positive from what I witnessed

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok Trainer, I am prepared to believe that amongst 3 teams you couldn't find even 2 props so even one team could play Rugby Union, but I will stand by my comments, and while I have no doubt Norths is doing what it considers right, I do and will always have a problem with it happening. If one of the teams had fielded a competitive scrum (by moving a prop down or up a grade) I would probably consider I had little argument. In no way did were your players anything but good sports and a credit to your club, it not really a dig at them (or Norths) but a dig at rules that allow it to happen!! I remind people that in one Friday night comp last year one of Brother's teams made final without having a contested scrum all year!!
And your own 2nd grade team is leading the comp, how can that be when they are having to play to rules, surely there should be some penalty to teams that are doing it whether it their fault or not!!
I also recall being told by a coach of Norths firsts 2 years ago when they called non contesting scrums during a game against Logan that we were stupid to show how strong our scrum was, so they were going to take advantage of rules!!

Mind you , perhaps I just a grumpy old bugger who likes to watch rugby with all the competitive bits in it!!

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Fair call Dan :) totally understand your point of view.
Rugby should be a contest across the park.
Big boys just wanna eat on Saturdays!! :)

I can guarantee that coach is not involved at Norths anymore as well as that is not the attitude we want. If we can compete, and compete safely, then we will :)

See you in about 9 weeks for a quiet ;)

Sent from my mind......

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I believe there is currently a rule in which if you start contested and end up having to go uncontested mid-game, your team must drop a player as a penalty. I actually think this rule may be contributing to the problem.

Some teams may be able to field a competitive scrum at the start of the game but worry that if one of their front rowers gets injured, they'll have to go uncontested and be made to drop a player, so its 'safer' to avoid the issue and go uncontested for the whole game.

I realise the rule is there to stop teams who are being destroyed in the scrum suddenly negating that advantage to the opposition but maybe there should be a little leeway.

TrainerGB

Ward Prentice (10)
Yep that is the rule TBD.
For premier sides you also need to carry 3 capable front row replacements which would add to Logan's frustrations due to clubs with limited resources having to stock up above when heading south to Bond.
Really feel for Logan in this instance and understand their frustrations.

Sent from my mind......

T

Tigers Tale

The uncontested scrums is a massive issue when it comes to school and lower grade rugby - but there is not a simple answer to it but people should not be taking advantage of it to suit their cause.

As for Easts - their front row stocks received a boost this week with a Sunnybank player who came off the bench last Saturday joining the Tigers mid-season. I think that this may well be manner from heaven as Paraka is out for another 6 weeks and Jack Kimmince won't play again this season due to injury.

That timeframe may see Pettowa back in time for Uni, then if not GPS.

Filth I may have jumped the gun - the Tigers 2014 dream may well be still alive because after this round the Tigers could be only 8/9 points off 3rd/2nd(respectively)and only 5 off 4th/5th, but they will have to improve a hell of a lot.

Having said that despite their table position Easts have been in every game they've lost - Souths, Uni, GPS(draw), Bros & Snbk. If the ball bounces the other way in the second round then you never know.

I think that the Tigers will put on a good performance at Bond this weekend.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fair call Dan :) totally understand your point of view.
Rugby should be a contest across the park.
Big boys just wanna eat on Saturdays!! :)

I can guarantee that coach is not involved at Norths anymore as well as that is not the attitude we want. If we can compete, and compete safely, then we will :)

See you in about 9 weeks for a quiet ;)

Sent from my mind..
you are on Trainer!!!:D

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
The uncontested scrums is a massive issue when it comes to school and lower grade rugby - but there is not a simple answer to it but people should not be taking advantage of it to suit their cause.

As for Easts - their front row stocks received a boost this week with a Sunnybank player who came off the bench last Saturday joining the Tigers mid-season. I think that this may well be manner from heaven as Paraka is out for another 6 weeks and Jack Kimmince won't play again this season due to injury.

That timeframe may see Pettowa back in time for Uni, then if not GPS.

Filth I may have jumped the gun - the Tigers 2014 dream may well be still alive because after this round the Tigers could be only 8/9 points off 3rd/2nd(respectively)and only 5 off 4th/5th, but they will have to improve a hell of a lot.

Having said that despite their table position Easts have been in every game they've lost - Souths, Uni, GPS(draw), Bros & Snbk. If the ball bounces the other way in the second round then you never know.

I think that the Tigers will put on a good performance at Bond this weekend.
TT, what is Jack Kimminces injury?

T

Tigers Tale

Jack Kimmince has a stuffed back and he's going to take the rest of the year off in an endeavour to get it right.

Hopefully he'll be back in the blue and gold next year.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I believe there is currently a rule in which if you start contested and end up having to go uncontested mid-game, your team must drop a player as a penalty. I actually think this rule may be contributing to the problem.

Some teams may be able to field a competitive scrum at the start of the game but worry that if one of their front rowers gets injured, they'll have to go uncontested and be made to drop a player, so its 'safer' to avoid the issue and go uncontested for the whole game.

I realise the rule is there to stop teams who are being destroyed in the scrum suddenly negating that advantage to the opposition but maybe there should be a little leeway.

Why can't this rule be also if you start the game with uncontested scrums you play a player down?

Status
Not open for further replies.