• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Premier Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Rota Setu might be the player you're thinking of. I thought he and Herman Porter were very dangerous. Neither involved with the Reds.

JJ Taulagi might also be the player you're thinking of - who is with the Reds - scoring two tries. All three from a distance look fairly similar on the field though.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Yes - had about 2min in the first half replacing Tom Pincus, but didn't see the ball until the 2nd.

mathew thushker

Bob McCowan (2)
It was a good performance by Wests, but Uni are just a class above most teams at the moment. As you said Old Rat, Wests are a really young team that is playing well, and are improving. If they can sure up a few positions next year, they will be knocking on the door come finals time.

It was JJ Taulagi that came on and scored a couple of good tries, he played well. He also sledged the Wests players quite a lot which was a bit weird as no one was having a go at him type thing. Personally I thought he looked like a tool. When Reds players come back to club they should show a bit of humility and be an example to other players, not carry on like a pork chop when he has carved up a few club players.
He was also doing double guns at the crowd after one try........what a superstar!!

Just my opinion.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
"no one was having a go at him"

Amazing what you hear when you sit on the sideline opposite the grandstands MT. Like you I don't like the sledging by Reds players either - not a huge fan of it by anyone, really - but to say that no one was having a go at him is just not true.

As for being an example to other players, I'm assuming you're meaning an example to players from other clubs?

Because so far this year he's been to every Uni training session he's been in town for, and every game he's been free to attend - only missed the weeks the Reds were in NZ. Even for Reds home games he's come down early to watch Reserve grade games on his way there. Every single one.

He fills up water bottles at training and during games, runs water & messages, runs the line for women's games, stands in at halfback in team drills when asked. To be clear, he does most of this for ANY team in the club, not just Premier grade.

He was also the only Reds player to come to the Uni corporate breakfast earlier this year and they were all asked. And when he broke his jaw last year he stepped in and helped coach the women's team.

Yep, he's got a mouth and he points to his family in the grandstand as he scores, but I really hope players follow his example.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
He may be gentlemen off the field and perhaps wests players may have said something to him.

But at the end of the day, fact is that no one could hear things being said to him but everyone could hear young JJ. Although it wasn’t the worst display of on field talking I have seen, when you couple it with how he was noticeably a cut above the players he was versing and how the ground announcer repeatedly mentioned he is a QLD Red, it’s bound to leave a bad taste in some mouths.

The situation reminds me of when I was young, my mother told me that people are quick to remember the bad things and reluctant to remember the good…I think this applies here. Especially as people outside of University aren’t in the know on JJ’s off field character which as you have indicated is a different story.

mathew thushker

Bob McCowan (2)
"no one was having a go at him"

Amazing what you hear when you sit on the sideline opposite the grandstands MT. Like you I don't like the sledging by Reds players either - not a huge fan of it by anyone, really - but to say that no one was having a go at him is just not true.

As for being an example to other players, I'm assuming you're meaning an example to players from other clubs?

Because so far this year he's been to every Uni training session he's been in town for, and every game he's been free to attend - only missed the weeks the Reds were in NZ. Even for Reds home games he's come down early to watch Reserve grade games on his way there. Every single one.

He fills up water bottles at training and during games, runs water & messages, runs the line for women's games, stands in at halfback in team drills when asked. To be clear, he does most of this for ANY team in the club, not just Premier grade.

He was also the only Reds player to come to the Uni corporate breakfast earlier this year and they were all asked. And when he broke his jaw last year he stepped in and helped coach the women's team.

Yep, he's got a mouth and he points to his family in the grandstand as he scores, but I really hope players follow his example.

Cat A, I was on the far side of the field, not the stands, but if you think Wests players were sledging him fair enough, but I am pretty certain you are wrong. If JJ does all that stuff for Uni of the field, then that is fantastic, and Uni are lucky to have him. I was only commenting on what I saw on the weekend.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
unfortunately JJ has a reputation about him. He had it last year when I had heard he was largely disliked in club land (albeit opposition) for his mouth. Apparently he had some big words to say against Super rugby opposition of late (including the Crusaders).

He'll develop (maintain) a reputation unfortunately. The type thats harder to lose than it is to earn.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
You're right Reg.

I recall last year in the final round at Crosby Park, JJ Taulagi and Damon Murphy clashed, could you imagine it? The two biggest mouths in Premier Rugby.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
You're right Reg.

I recall last year in the final round at Crosby Park, JJ Taulagi and Damon Murphy clashed, could you imagine it? The two biggest mouths in Premier Rugby.

Well knock me over with a feather! :)

Where would you place Sam Greene on the mouthy players list, Filth? I recall his shenanigans when Wests beat Uni at home last year and thought he'd fit right in at Crosby....

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Shenanigans against Uni, care to explain? I don't usually frequent Wests v University games! I haven't heard Greene sledge once this year. 2014 has been very surprising.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Shenanigans against Uni, care to explain? I don't usually frequent Wests v University games! I haven't heard Greene sledge once this year. 2014 has been very surprising.

Uni were being beaten soundly and the post-try celebrations were enthusiastic. I narrowly avoided a ball thrown in celebration hitting me in the face. Nothing sinister - just exuberant - but when your team is on the end of a losing scoreline I must admit I thought he was a bit of a jerk.

mathew thushker

Bob McCowan (2)
Uni were being beaten soundly and the post-try celebrations were enthusiastic. I narrowly avoided a ball thrown in celebration hitting me in the face. Nothing sinister - just exuberant - but when your team is on the end of a losing scoreline I must admit I thought he was a bit of a jerk.
Sam Greene was actually throwing the ball at, and mouthing off to his old school teacher and school coach at BGS - Anthony Matheson. Matho was the forwards coach at uni at the time. Since then, Matho has succesfully poached Sam back to Brothers where he is now head coach. Obviously they have made up, and it didn't affect their close relationship.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Something rarer then a solar eclipse might happen this weekend.

Will Genia back in club rugby.

If McKenzie has the same policy as the previous wallaby coaches then the 8 players not selected out of the 30 man squad go back to clubland.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
News that on July 5th, the Brothers vs Norths grudge match will be hosted by the Roma Rugby Club, with the curtain raiser being the Darling Downs A Grade match between Roma Echidnas and USQ Saints.

Here is the release from North Brisbane Rugby Union:

"Exciting news with the Round 15 Premier rugby local derby between Brothers and Norths being announced that the game will be played in Roma.

The game to be played on Saturday 5th of July at Bassett Park, Roma and will be Brothers "home game".

Brothers have put in a huge amount of work to make this happen and have worked closely with the QRU, Roma rugby, Roma Council and major sponsor Murphy pipe and civil, Avmin Air Charters.

Maranoa Regional Council Mayor Rob Loughnan backed the big game and said this was a great opportunity for the people of Roma to witness rugby at its best, and in the process help raise funds for the local Echidna Rugby Club.
“South West Queensland doesn’t often get a chance to see a live game of this calibre being played in front of them, and I think it will also go some way in enhancing the relationship between regional and metropolitan rugby,“ Mayor Loughnan said.

It is set to be a massive day with several lunches and functions organised, a crowd of between 4000 and 5000 is expected on the day.

The Premier team will fly to Roma on the Saturday morning and will return later that night after the post game function.

Information on a supporters trip will be available shortly"

This is a great opportunity for Rugby to show its worth in the Downs and hopefully could lead to regular matches in regional areas. Maybe even a Country side or two in Premier Rugby.

Attachments

• 10376063_820599624617171_5284760332505170519_n.jpg
    10376063_820599624617171_5284760332505170519_n.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 212

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Sam Greene was actually throwing the ball at, and mouthing off to his old school teacher and school coach at BGS - Anthony Matheson. Matho was the forwards coach at uni at the time. Since then, Matho has succesfully poached Sam back to Brothers where he is now head coach. Obviously they have made up, and it didn't affect their close relationship.

I KNEW sitting near Matheson was a bad idea!

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is Genia running out for the Sunny Coast?

Fairly sure with Sunny Coast being removed from the Premier Comp it meant Genia had to find a new club, although I doubt he would have thought he'd be playing for them so soon! I'm guessing either Norths or Wests.

EDIT: To the above comment regarding going 'back' to Wests. I thought someone mentioned on here a while back that Will has never actually had any association with the Bulldogs. His clubs went GPS, Norths, Manly (under the Sunny Coast banner). Which makes me think he'd be with Norths.

Status
Not open for further replies.