• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD Reds 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
This is disgraceful. When I thought it could get no worse they throw this shit at us. What must the players be thinking.

I watched the league final yesterday, and Chambers didn't look too good. He went missing for most of the game and didn't really stand up. I guess McLinden never stood out in league and he's been fairly solid for the Reds so there could still be hope.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
McLinden was rookie of the year! He was constantly up the top of the try scorers list.

I thought the same about Chambers though. I am not convinced. I will give him some lattitude though in that it must be hard to stand out in a team when your centre partner is the biggest freak to play football in Australia. And you have Slater at the back.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Noddy said:
McLinden was rookie of the year! He was constantly up the top of the try scorers list.

Really? I never heard of him until the Reds signed him, not much of a raiders fan. Shows my (lack of) knowledge of league players I guess.

T

TOCC

i actually think Chambers is a good addition, admittedly his no Greg Inglis, but i think he still looks like a good player.

Cheezel, you mentioned that he went missing, i dont actually agree, his side was attacked all day long, he made twice as many tackles then the other centres or wings. He made less hit-ups then Inglis but on average still gained the same meters.

His attributes are defence and the ability to read the play, he did fall off MoiMoi which eventually lead to a try, but so did a few other players.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
QLD Reds 2010 say no to Louden

Not even an interview??? Seems like a 2 horse race. HA Just thought of Knuckles and Link being compared to Race horses.
Reds overlook Louden

Posted October 5, 2009 23:08:00
Updated October 5, 2009 23:10:00
r190167_714320.jpg
Front runner ... John Connolly (File photo) (AAP: Fiona Morris)

Former New South Wales backs coach Todd Louden has missed out on the Queensland head coaching job, adding to growing speculation John Connolly is poised for a return to Ballymore.

Louden was not granted an interview for the post after putting up his hand to return to Australia as the successor to the axed Phil Mooney.

Connolly was Wallabies coach from 2006 to 2007 and he was sacked by the Reds in 2000 after 12 seasons in charge.

He and former Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie were interviewed by Reds officials last Friday.

Connolly has denied he has been given the job for the 2010 season, despite reports he would be appointed as an interim coach to warm the hot seat for his long-time lieutenant and former Wallabies rake Michael Foley.

Foley is currently serving as the Waratahs forwards coach, but it is understood some key Queensland figures view him as the preferred man to revive the battling Reds.

He worked under Connolly at the Wallabies as forwards/re-starts coach.

- AAP

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:
i actually think Chambers is a good addition, admittedly his no Greg Inglis, but i think he still looks like a good player.

Cheezel, you mentioned that he went missing, i dont actually agree, his side was attacked all day long, he made twice as many tackles then the other centres or wings. He made less hit-ups then Inglis but on average still gained the same meters.

His attributes are defence and the ability to read the play, he did fall off MoiMoi which eventually lead to a try, but so did a few other players.

Not bad attributes for a side that leaks tries, to have someone very solid defensively.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah I think he'll go OK too. And TOCC is right: falling off MoiMoi is not exactly a disgrace.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Former Wallabies coach John Connolly set to coach Queensland Reds October 03, 2009

Former Australia coach John Connolly is tipped to be named Queensland Reds coach for 2010 - 21 years after his first appointment in the role. In a strange twist following Phil Mooney's sacking, Connolly is close to agreeing to a one-year deal in which he will act as an interim coach until other candidates become available for 2011.

This COULD be a good move for Queensland rugby, but only if the QRU announces two coaches at, or about, the same time: Knuckles and the coach to follow him. Which in today's strictly contracted world will be very difficult. Let's look at Queensland's options:

1. Foley. Highly unlikely the NSWRU would allow him to coach the Tahs while committing himself to the Reds for the following season. Axle does have the right to break his NSWRU contract during a certain window after each Super season but he's far from a given to do so to return to Brisbane in 2010. He's now had four years of stability for his family on the Central Coast after trekking around Queensland and Europe for the preceeding decade. Not having to pack and unpack suitcases shouldn't be underestimated, especially for his family.

2. Louden. To me the best-looking of the potential candidates but didn't get an interview and is now in the process of signing a new contract with Ricoh.

3. Cheika. Why would he forego the prestige and glory of coaching Leinster to take on a basket case like Queensland? Whatever the QRU offer him Leinster could double. Michael may consider the challenge of a completely new franchise such as Melbourne, especially with the Randwick connection to one of the bidders, but he'd be mad to move to Brisbane. I hear he's happy in Dublin.

4. McGahan. Never underestimate the pull of coming home for a Brisbane boy. The major problem here is, of course, money: Munster could guarantee a shitload more than the QRU. Family circumstances could dictate what he does next.

5. McKenzie. Probably the best available. If Link could achieve with the Reds what he did for the Tahs we'd all be happy. The only doubt I have is his preponderence to stick with a "head coach + assistants" setup which now looks a bit dated; Deans does one of the assistants roles himself rather than stand around with his arms folded, as Eddie, Knuckles and Link did/do. I could never understand why Link would want to employ a forwards coach considering his background and experience.

If Slaughter's determined to get his old mate Knuckles up he has to somehow work his way through that lot and sign a coach for 2011 quicksmart.

S

Spook

I think Cheika has stated that the 2009/2010 season is DEFINITELY his last with Leinster.

T

TOCC

i didnt think Louden was a very good candidate for QLD anyway, i think he has the potential to be a great coach, but in saying that i think the Reds need somone who is more experienced then Louden at the moment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lindommer

Good post. It would be good if the Reds can get hold of McGahan but he is held in so high a regard in Munster country that it is unlikely. This is only his 2nd year there as head coach; so another couple of years there could set him up for life - from a professional CV point of view.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Queensland Reds look to exploit legal loophole and sign Lote Tuqiri

By Andrew Hamilton
October 07, 2009

Former Wallabies coach John Connolly is behind an audacious plot to exploit a legal loophole and recruit Lote Tuqiri to play for Queensland Reds.

Tuqiri was sacked by the Australian Rugby Union in July and is unable to be registered as a professional rugby player in Australia but can still play as an amateur.

It is understood Connolly's proposal involves Tuqiri signing on for the Reds as an amateur while receiving a salary from a third-party benefactor.

The theory is the ARU is party to all contracts for professional players but does not have jurisdiction over amateurs.

A Queensland Rugby Union official confirmed he was aware of the proposal but directed enquiries to chairman Rod McCall, who did not return calls.

Legal opinion on the matter was mixed on whether the proposal would circumvent the ban placed on the dual international by the ARU.

And three separate player managers, who did not wish to be named, were sceptical the deal could be done . . . but all suggested it was worth exploring.

The incentive-based deal could earn the former Wallabies winger $350,000 a year, made up of a retainer of $200,000 and match payments of $10,000.

It is more than he could hope to earn if he returned to the NRL but well short of the riches on offer in French or Japanese rugby.

French club Bayonne has pulled out of negotiations because the asking price of $800,000 was too steep but The Courier-Mail has reported another club was still in talks with Tuqiri's management.

Tuqiri reached a settlement with the ARU in August following the termination of his $2 million contract and the outcome was widely believed to have ended his professional rugby career in Australia.

The ARU sacked Tuquiri on July 1 and ARU boss John O'Neill has refused to reveal the nature of Tuqiri's breach.

At the time O'Neill ruled out the possibility of Tuqiri joining the 15th Super side, which will be based in Melbourne and enter the competition in 2011.

"His contract that we terminated would have expired at the end of 2012 and the ARU has to be a party to all contracts in Australia for professional players, therefore there won't be an opportunity for Lote to play for that fifth team," O'Neill said.

In a further snub to ARU chief executive O'Neill, the Reds remain interested in signing Connolly as an interim head coach for next season.

O'Neill and Connolly are known to have a tense working relationship.

Connolly, who was dumped by the Reds in 2000 after 12 seasons in charge, and former New South Wales Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie were interviewed by Reds officials on Friday.

It is widely believed the QRU is considering appointing Connolly for the 2010 season to warm the hot seat for his long-time lieutenant Michael Foley who is now serving as NSW's forwards coach.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
won't and can't happen.

Take any other amatuer player, say Brendan McKibbon, RUPA stipulates that once he gets called up to play 3 games (I think) he must be offered a formal contract. Of course all contracts are through the ARU, so....bad luck Lote.

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hi All..long time lurker first time poster.

I haven't noticed it mentioned here however I saw in a paper on the weekend that Sydney Uni coach Damien Hill was replaced by his offsider/co-coach Greg Mumm due to offers he was receiving for a S14 coaching role with the Reds. I don't think it was referring to head coach however it did indicate he would be involved in some capacity.

I have been unable to find this article at all to verify this but it was in a Melbourne paper while I was attending a Salvador Dali exhibit so it may just add to the surrealism surrounding the QRU and their current predicament....

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
welcome aboard. I like the surrealism angle too.

As for the Reds, it shows how misguided and desperate they are to try to "explore" this "legal loophole". There are no quick fixes. Focus on getting the basics right lads and leave the show ponies in the stable.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lindommer said:
4. McGahan. Never underestimate the pull of coming home for a Brisbane boy. The major problem here is, of course, money: Munster could guarantee a shitload more than the QRU. Family circumstances could dictate what he does next.

Can anyone supply McGahan's coaching record?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From the blog today http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/melbourne-rebels-super-15-recruitment/

Anthony McGahan. He came up through the Queensland coaching system via Brisbane Easts and schoolboys (including Churchie); also Australia U19. He was the defensive coach at Munster for a few years before getting the big gig last year. Laurie Fisher is his forwards coach. He made the Heineken Cup final against Leinster and won the Magners Celtic League, so has runs on the board. They’ve had a mixed beginning to this season.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gagger said:
From the blog today http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/melbourne-rebels-super-15-recruitment/

Anthony McGahan. He came up through the Queensland coaching system via Brisbane Easts and schoolboys (including Churchie); also Australia U19. He was the defensive coach at Munster for a few years before getting the big gig last year. Laurie Fisher is his forwards coach. He made the Heineken Cup final against Leinster and won the Magners Celtic League, so has runs on the board. They’ve had a mixed beginning to this season.

Thanks. I see he is yet another school teacher turned professional coach. I can recall that these include Eddie Jones, Graham Henry, Eddie O'Sullivan, Jake White, Frank Haddin, Todd Louden, Laurie Fisher and Andy Robinson. There are several others I can't recall right now.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Can anyone supply McGahan's coaching record?

from the Munster Rugby website
Tony McGahan
Director of Rugby
From Warwick in Queensland, Australia, a teacher by profession, (BE in Physical Education from Queensland University of Technology), he played Rugby Union (inside centre) with Queensland Schoolboys and Eastern Districts and Rugby League with Queensland U16s/19s, Australian Universities as well as professionally for two seasons with the Brisbane Broncos.

The 37 year old joined Munster in February 2005 as Defence Coach and the following season - with his role expanded to Defence/Backs/Skills Coach - played a central role in Munster securing their first ever Heineken Cup title.

He enjoyed further Heineken Cup success in 2008 when Munster triumphed against Toulouse and last season, his first season as Munster Director of Rugby, took the squad to the semi final of the Heineken Cup and victory in the Magners League.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
This COULD be a good move for Queensland rugby, but only if the QRU announces two coaches at, or about, the same time: Knuckles and the coach to follow him...Let's look at Queensland's options:

6. Meehan. See 4, McGahan. Substitute Bath for Munster.

Status
Not open for further replies.