• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Sunnybank Rugby run a really good ref's program where they train young ref's and provide them with a mentor and feedback. If you talk to the Development Manager at the club he will pass on any feedback as long as it's reasonable.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Karl. Get him a bright coloured headgear so he stands out. Best way to stand out especially if he's a work horse. It may sound silly but I've seen guys get selected in teams before just because they could be identified easily.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Separate topic, my boy is trying out for the City Districts u12 team tomorrow afternoon. He'd be playing up a year if he gets in so I don't have any expectations.

What are they looking for mainly at these trials?

I've told him to make sure his work rate is high and that he shows good intensity and to nail any tackle he makes. No time to grab at jerseys. His technique and ability is what it is. He's a lock or second row in his team, but who knows where they'll play him at the trial.

Anyone been here before?

I'd go with Jets' suggestion for the sake of him being distinctive. I've had the experience of watching my brother miss out on making a squad after dominating a game because the selectors couldn't see him (how you don't see a 6'4 110kg 18 year old run over top and through pretty much everyone he opposed is beyond me but).

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Karl. Get him a bright coloured headgear so he stands out. Best way to stand out especially if he's a work horse. It may sound silly but I've seen guys get selected in teams before just because they could be identified easily.

That's a really poor reflection on the selection process and the selectors.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's a really poor reflection on the selection process and the selectors.
It happens. Lots of people watch rugby and don't understand that you need grinders in the team to do all the hard work so that the flashy guys can stand out. If you wear something so that you're noticed they can see that you make it to a heap of breakdowns. It's not a great reflection on the process but it's human nature for your eye to be drawn to things that stand out.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It happens. Lots of people watch rugby and don't understand that you need grinders in the team to do all the hard work so that the flashy guys can stand out. If you wear something so that you're noticed they can see that you make it to a heap of breakdowns. It's not a great reflection on the process but it's human nature for your eye to be drawn to things that stand out.

Ah the grinders. It's been one of my biggest peevs to see blokes rewarded for a high 'workrate' with minimal impact at the contests. The union equivalent of a Hindmash, (always 3rd man in the tackle).

Ofcoarse some of these grinders do the little things which make the blokes around them play better as well and aren't noticed.

I rekon taping your ears back, or taping a facial wound, like a cut above the eye, is a better way to get noticed. It shows yous toughness.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Here are some tips that I would use, although ever boy is different and sometimes what works for one is detrimental to another.

1. Intensity - yeah, definitely up the intensity. However, if you asked a child at this age what intensity means they may give some vague answer and I doubt many would truly know what this means let alone how to put it into action. I use the words 'Fast and Hard'. I try to get him to constantly think about the words Fast and Hard. When he runs onto the field: think "Fast and Hard", when he gets the ball: "Fast and Hard", running to a breakdown: "Fast and Hard"... "Fast and Hard, Fast and Hard!!!!" This is definitely intensity, but is more action and behavioral specific.

2. TACKLE TACKLE TACKLE - As you know, a high percentage of boys at this age either don't know how to tackle or haven't yet developed the confidence to do it correctly. When picking a rep side, I would imagine having boys who can tackle is going to be a priority. Most boys focus on their attacking play - I've always had a strong focus on tackling and defense. In fact I personally would be trying to set his mind state to be seeking-out tackles rather than waiting for them to come to him. A good way in doing this would be to have the attitude of trying to lead the tackle count at the end of the game - it's not important if he actually does or not, but having this state of mind will increase his intent to look for and make tackles. Tackle like a beast.. tackle, tackle tackle.

3. Beat Your Opposition Number - You must be able to beat your opposition player. In your son's case: line outs, ball carry, tackles etc. He should make it a priority to stop his opposition player from running at all costs. This works two-fold: 1) stops the opposition player from looking good and 2) you look a better player in doing it.

4. Don't be an individual - It still amazes me how boys play when going for a rep side - This can work to your advantage: boys on the opposition team will run the ball a lot without passing - this can help you in defense as the ball carrier becomes more predictable e.g. don't fall for dummies and focus on the ball carrier because there is a high chance he is going to run it himself. And, most definitely play as a team player - run it when it needs to be run and pass it when it needs to be passed. Also, focus on ball retention (holding onto the ball tighter) as players will be more intent on ripping the ball from you.

Robbie Deans when talking about the recent State Schoolboy Championship, said: "... they'll be looking at players that make their team better!" This is really important for young players to know when playing. It's not about making yourself look better but how you make your team better.

This is a lot of stuff and if all this is going to make your son stressed, unhappy or feeling overwhelmed, I would disregard it and maybe just say: "have fun and play hard" which may very well do a better job. I tend to focus on one or two things a game, so a thought could be to pick a couple of things to focus on.

I wouldn't worry about selectors - good or bad. If he plays to the best of his ability (or close enough), has fun and still doesn't get picked; at least he can be extremely proud of himself and walk away with his head held high. The rep. games will come and go, it's more important what he takes from it and have fun doing it.

oh.. one last thing: I think it's really important to play your position - I've seen players (in an attempt to please selectors) not do the job they are suppose to do. But to play your position should be highly regarded. Goes without saying I guess.

Good Luck :)

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Karl

May be too late to let your son know, but my experience is to keep it simple. If he is a forward I would say, go hard and get your head over the ball, if he is a back I would say "get involved and look for the ball".

I know of a couple of boys trialling for the same team today. It is good that it has fined up. My mail from those involved is that the selectors have no pre conceived ideas as they have not particularly gone to see boys play in regular competition. So it should be even playing field.

So good luck and hope your son enjoys the experience.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was just talking about this with someone at work and his comment was that you should become the coach or manager of the team. Their kids always seem to get selected. :D

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Haha I have seen that happen many times as well. To be fair, on some occasions the people have only become managers after the child has been selected.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Parents as coaches of rep teams happens more often in club rep teams. This is a school based team. More likely it helps to be from same school as coach as player is more "known"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't want to be a wet blanket, but the world will not end if the boy does not make the Under 12's rep side.

Key thing about trials is that he gives it his best go, and if not selected, then work hard and give it a go next year.

Key thing about rugby at Under 12's is having fun with your mates, and anything else is a real bonus.

There are plenty of kids who are overlooked for whatever reason that get selected for other teams as they mature.

That being said good luck to the lad.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
I agree with Hugh. I made it very clear to D'Arcy that it was for experience and to have an extra run against some good players and to have some fun having a crack at something that he hadn't tried before (ie representative selection).

So, how'd he go? He went really well actually. Left nothing on the paddock, completely stuffed and a little banged up by the end, but unbowed :). I gave him the hard and fast and tackle everything advice and I reckon it's the hardest I've seen him work. Had a couple good loose ball pick and runs with good contact and presentation, ran nice and straight and was taking guys into rucks and cleaning out well. Couple good hand-offs too.

He wasn't the most spectacular forward out there and while he gave away a bit of size to the big units he was really solid and there were only 3 or 4 that were clearly in front of him. They kept putting him back on so I think thats a good sign.

It was good to have a look at how it all works. The kids look like they had a ball and the standard of play as well as sportsmanship and the lack of infractions was great to see. A couple of the backs were seriously fast for kids their age and there were some proper backline moves happening.

We'll find out within the week apparently. Regardless I was proud of the lad. He played his heart out.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Oh Fantastic!!! Sounds like he really got stuck into it. I think regardless of who they pick, he'll get a lot out of that. Was he proud of himself?

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. :)

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
That's great to hear Karl. You can't ask for more than that from your son.

Hugh, agree with everything you said about fun being the main focus. The thing is that other sports, Rugby League in particular, run rep programs from Under 12's up so Rugby really has to do the same so as not to loose players. As long as the rep program is run in the right spirit and is focused on player development then it should be a positive experience for all.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Several very senior refs I have spoken to have said that they find the younger the age group they are refereeing, the harder it is to referee.

Yet despite this we tend to put our most inexperienced referees into the younger age groups. At this stage the kids are like information sponges and can learn bad habits which once learned take considerable time and effort to unlearn.

I

It'd be hard because half the work in reffing juniors is knowing what to let go. That and the fact that there's 10x the linebreaks thus 10x the running.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Felt a bit like I was watching a replay of Saturday night at our game today in some respects.

Bit frustrating but it's u11 right and the boys played really well to only go down by 5. Lot of character and one of the best intercept tries I've seen, regardless of the age group. The other kids played hard and the teams officials were great. Lots of fun banter on the sideline. I mean that, it's not code. They were funny as and we were cracking jokes about the kids, some of the plays - it was a very enjoyable game, despite the shoreline.

Status
Not open for further replies.