• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Junior Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Quakezone

Saw a photo of the team last night and find it very interesting that 15 out of the 21 were from green and red the coach and managers divisions, also why have a state carnival when everybody knew the U13 team was picked 8 weeks ago, that is evident by only one boy from blue division being picked.
That's pretty quick for team photos to be posted - 15 players from GREEN and RED in a way that kind of makes sense as RED were basically Albany Creek the U13 div 1 premiers and GREEN were basically SB who dominated U13 div 1 in regular season - In an earlier post in was mentioned that the state champs were not a selection carnival and that selectors had been viewing boys throughout the season, that makes sense as well you would imagine that many selectors would have had most of their team selected pre carnival and maybe left spaces open only for bolters that would seem to make sense - selections seem to reflect that

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
A l
Sounds like the yellow team were hard done by here and probably deserved better treatment on the selection table - however it would be silly to base representative selections on 1 good performance or 1 or 2 bad performances which is why as mentioned in earlier posts dev officers, selectors, coaches etc. had been viewing prospective players throughout the year - At the state carnival game time was reduced and many players that normally star at school or club found themselves playing half a game or quarter of a game that in itself makes it difficult for players to show what they can do - one thing is for sure team selections will always be subjective
A lot of the boys at the carnival play div 2 due to club not grading and were simply overlooked due to the coach being part of div 1 comp, i think the coach should not be linked to the age group he coaches at club so the selections are impartial and definitely should not be able to coach the age group your son is in it just makes it look bad.

Thoraxe

Frank Row (1)
WThe QJRU should be embaressed with themselves allowing the Brisbane head coach and manager picking there own sons in the Brisbane team,impartial selection not likely, green was totally outplayed all carnival. Yellow was the best Brisbane side and to only have a handful selected shows just how political junior rugby in Brisbane is.
WThe QJRU should be embaressed with themselves allowing the Brisbane head coach and manager picking there own sons in the Brisbane team,impartial selection not likely, green was totally outplayed all carnival. Yellow was the best Brisbane side and to only have a handful selected shows just how political junior rugby in Brisbane is.
I asked the QJRU staff about this exact question. They advised that they only had the capacity to appoint country coaches and managers as Country is made up of multiple regions. BJRU took it upon themselves to appoint Brisbane Coaches. Maybe BJRU should let QJRU appoint coaches their process seems to be more independent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We are waiting for the QJRU to put those final results up. I would've hoped it would have been done by now.

We are still waiting to get the final City teams from the BJRU. All will be put on line though.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
We are waiting for the QJRU to put those final results up. I would've hoped it would have been done by now.

We are still waiting to get the final City teams from the BJRU. All will be put on line though.

Thanks for the update and appreciate all the info coming through for the first 2.5 days of the carnival.

Q

Quakezone

I asked the QJRU staff about this exact question. They advised that they only had the capacity to appoint country coaches and managers as Country is made up of multiple regions. BJRU took it upon themselves to appoint Brisbane Coaches. Maybe BJRU should let QJRU appoint coaches their process seems to be more independent.
I doubt it....at the end of the day selections are just someones opinion probably based on how they want to play the game which no one knows til selections are made....selecting 23 players from hundreds is alwasy going to be subjective thats only natural, their is absolutely no way in hell that everyone is going to be happy, and gripes mainly come from disgruntled mum and dads who should be spending their time helping their kids overcome the disappointment rather than sending a message of how they were cheated and hard done by - my son missed selection, he heard how acworth explained how selections were made and believes they were fair, it would be poor form for me to tell him he had been cheated - I actually made him ask the coach why he missed and what he needed to work on....

Q

Quakezone

just found this in the QJRU application

Please note:
It is preferable that team management do not have involvements wit
h teams
which include
thei
r son
. Queensland
Junior
Rugby
Union
reserves the right to appoint a parent to a team management
position if it deems there are no other suitable coaches to fill the position and is confident the person can
perform his/he
r duties in an impartial manner

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Trying to wrap up some results from the carnival

Finals Results from
http://qjru.com.au/2013/09/26/2013-qjru-state-championship-finals-results/

9961426325_7a0d5bb97f_o_d.png

Under-14s-Finals-2013.png

Under-15s-Finals-2013.png

Under-16s-Finals-2013.png

Under-17s-Finals-2013.png

Final Day summary
http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/10269/Default.aspx

Final day video highlights

City v Country Digital Programme

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/portals/10/Ebook/2013/CityvCountry/#/1/

Incomplete results from City v Country

Under 13's Brisbane defeated Country 17 - 12
Under 14's Brisbane defeated Country 54 - 5

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks for posting the CVC programme, it was an education. Especially in the halves for the under 14s. How does a kid who has been dominant in a clearly dominant side in club, and also kicks the final penalty to win the state champs not even get selected? I note the managers name is similar to that of the successful half...

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
Don't start with all this again you sound like a disgruntled parent, I am sure the boy selected is well up and fully capable of playing at the next level Managers son or not, the selectors would not select some one that was not capable, halves are also a tricky spot and being in a dominant team behind a dominant pack is not always a good thing for half selection - At the end of the day its U13 or U14 Rugby and it will not be the making of the boy its what the boy does from here that will determine how far he will go - selections are never easy but to say a boy was selected because he is the managers/coaches son is a bit tough on the boy as they quite often have to work twice as hard as other kids to get a break - and the coach no matter how good he is will always be in a no win situation, anyway most of the time I have found the "coaches son" to have very good skill levels and game sense just from being around rugby all the time.. can we give this kind of a stuff a break please and just focus on the wonderful state champs and CvC games that have recently been played..
Firstly I am not related to the boy I have mentioned. I am not even friendly with his father. I do however acknowledge the skills and abilities the boy possesses as I have watched him play on a number of occasions. Can't even recall seeing the incumbent...didn't know his name till it was published. I agree that this is not a defining moment for either of the boys, I do believe however that it raises the same old questions that you hear at all junior sport, and like all things transparency and arms distance go a long way to dispelling them...

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Trying to wrap up some results from the carnival

Incomplete results from City v Country

Clean sweep for Brisbane

Under 15's Brisbane defeated Country 22 - 10
Under 16's Brisbane defeated Country 29 - 10
Under 17's Brisbane defeated Country 37 - 16

JCW70

Bob McCowan (2)
I th
Firstly I am not related to the boy I have mentioned. I am not even friendly with his father. I do however acknowledge the skills and abilities the boy possesses as I have watched him play on a number of occasions. Can't even recall seeing the incumbent.didn't know his name till it was published. I agree that this is not a defining moment for either of the boys, I do believe however that it raises the same old questions that you hear at all junior sport, and like all things transparency and arms distance go a long way to dispelling them.
the 13s was a bit the same the halfback from yellow missed selection and he is a very good player, can't pick everyone I suppose, always going to be good kids that miss

Q

Quakezone

DS great spot on the boy Birgan - never seen him before but you are right he is very good. In the CVC game he scored a great try from a steal by Fenner (who was my MOM only player not subbed for the full 60 mins after a full week of rugby, completely dominated the lineouts and his work rate was unreal) at the line out who and fired off the top down to Birgan who was away.great work by both boys.
Very dominant display by City in this age group as expected as the Brisbane teams finished 1 & 2 at the State champs - Lucas played well and earned MOM but fenner was close

Q

Quakezone

I thoroughly enjoyed the CVC games on Friday - managed to catch the U13, U14 and U15's before the dreaded work phone spoiled what was a great day.

Loved the country support, banter and enthusiasm.

The U14's was the only blow out score which was secured by a very powerful City pack who pretty much controlling everything.

The City selection was pretty close to how I would have seen it apart from Luff getting picked at 7 - he never even made the Green Rep team in the backrow with The boy from Souths (Who's name I can't remember) and N Marshall having a great 3 days in Green, The albany Creek 7 was in the 2nd row! Pendergast was in my opinion very unlucky as was H Sharpe from Brothers and Churchie not getting a 2nd Row spot over Botha who has been dissapointing.

This U14's team has pace to burn with 11,13,14,15 and 2 replacements in particular really having jet shoes.

On to Lismore and the NSW Country game.
Do they make changes to this team for the Lismore game?

Heavens game

Allen Oxlade (6)
Brief Overview of State Champs - u16

Unfortunately with the u16 National Champs on at the same time causing a talent exodus, this age group becomes a bit flakey to pick as there is no consistent form to go by. Last year's results for the u15 comp are as follows:

1. BJRU Green
  2. Sunshine Coast
  3. BJRU Gold
  4. Bushrangers
  5. BJRU Blue
  6. Gold Coast
  7. Townsville
  8. BJRU Red
  9. Darling Downs
Perhaps with a lack of representation in the two u16 QLD sides, the Sunshine Coast may push through. Although I believe they did lose some of their players to Brisbane GPS schools this year.

True to the card the final was between Brisbane Green v Sunny Coast. Was always going to be an uphill battle for the coast boys as Green were undefeated all tournament with about 20 + points between opposition every game with bushrangers giving a valiant effort on day 2. With the 2 Qld sides and the Brisbane Green doing so well the depth for this age group is looking good considering the amount of injured players as well unavailable for rep duties. I hope this gold program can and will protect the depth coming through to further enhance the talent we have here in Qld.

Ruckhard

Bob McCowan (2)
True to the card the final was between Brisbane Green v Sunny Coast. Was always going to be an uphill battle for the coast boys as Green were undefeated all tournament with about 20 + points between opposition every game with bushrangers giving a valiant effort on day 2. With the 2 Qld sides and the Brisbane Green doing so well the depth for this age group is looking good considering the amount of injured players as well unavailable for rep duties. I hope this gold program can and will protect the depth coming through to further enhance the talent we have here in Qld.

I see you Heavens Game :) hopefully we'll see you at BSHS next year?

Q

Quakezone

Good idea! If your team is interested in playing some pre season games next year, could you let me know the best person to talk (if not you) about organising this. Feel free to send me a message - even if it's just to touch base and we'll sort something out.

BBQ sounds great as well.
send me a private message if you are still interested in organising some pre season games for your U12 team we could possible arrange something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom