• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ranfurly Shield, ITM Cup & Heartland Championship: NZ domestic comps 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scrappy performance by my mob. Many "schoolboy errors" from the Mighty Magpies. Wouldn't think that the Gimblett Gravellers had a backline of Super Rugby Players, and plenty of pros in the Engine Room as well.

Thank Billy Webb-Ellis that the Ranfurly Shield wasn't up for grabs.

The difference between Championship and Premiership ITM cup was much in evidence.

Where was the Barracuda?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cantabs v Magpies highlights:

@2blues the answer to your "which beer?" conundrum was painted in the in-goals at AMI last night! I'm currently working my way through a mixed carton of their Southern Pale Ale & new-fangled Pointers Pale Ale (they use different hop varieties & taste slightly different), $10/ 6-pack at Dan Murphy's if you're a card holder. Very nice & I've just enough left for today's Aucks v Hogs :) :) :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think the game shows how teams can switch off a bit when they not playing for shield, Canterbury played well, but I had feeling the Pies weren't really switched on mentally, something I have thought I've noticed with shield holders in away games over the years.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
@2blues the answer to your "which beer?" conundrum was painted in the in-goals at AMI last night! I'm currently working my way through a mixed carton of their Southern Pale Ale & new-fangled Pointers Pale Ale (they use different hop varieties & taste slightly different), $10/ 6-pack at Dan Murphy's if you're a card holder. Very nice & I've just enough left for today's Aucks v Hogs :) :) :)
I've already tried Monteiths a few times. I particularly like their Doppelbock (see? I'm not entirely a beer philistine).

I had a look at my local bottleshops this morning for Taranaki IPA but to no avail. Perhaps all things Taranaki are banned in the BOP. I haven't seen a Dan Murphy's in the local area; in fact I wasn't aware they operated in NZ.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Auckland ended up being out scored three tries to four, but Hickey's goal kicking got them home 35-29.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've already tried Monteiths a few times. I particularly like their Doppelbock (see? I'm not entirely a beer philistine).

I had a look at my local bottleshops this morning for Taranaki IPA but to no avail. Perhaps all things Taranaki are banned in the BOP. I haven't seen a Dan Murphy's in the local area; in fact I wasn't aware they operated in NZ.

Yeah, sorry, the Dan Murphy's reference was for the benefit of those residing on the West Island :) I've yet to try the Doppelbock but will make a point of doing so, possibly tomorrow.

Taniwha getting towelled up by Turbos, 21-0 & still 5+ min to go in the half.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Turbos 42-17 Taniwha who remain the only winless team in the comp.

I'm pretty sure the points table on the ITM Cup site is wrong, they have Tasman who are 5/5 on 21 but with five BP which suggests they're actually on 25, two ahead of Cantabs. Aucks failed to get a BP so would be on 22 with 'naki fourth on 18. Note that Tasman & Cantabs have a game in hand over Aucks & 'naki.

EDIT: apparently Aucks did get a BP so are also on 23 but with four wins v Cantabs five.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Correct Premiership table:

1. Tasman 25
2. Canterbury 23 (5 wins)
3. Auckland 23 (4 wins)
4. Taranaki 18
5. Waikato 15
6. Manawatu 9
7. Counties-Manukau 8 (so much for my dark horse prediction)

Tasman, Canterbury & Waikato have a game in hand.

Championship table:

1. Hawkes Bay 20
2. Wellington 19
3. Bay of Plenty 13
4. North Harbour 9
5. Southland 8
6. Otago 7
7. Northland 0

BOP & Southland have played six, the others five.

@2blues, any chance you'll make it to Napier for the Shield match on Saturday?

Heartland table here:

http://www.heartlandchampionship.co.nz

Mighty 'nua now fourth & looking at the draw have a reasonable chance of qualifying for the Meads Cup.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
@2blues, any chance you'll make it to Napier for the Shield match on Saturday?
A three and a half hour drive each way might be a hard sell to SWMBO :(
But I will definitely esconce myself in the comfy chair in front of the TV and assert my right to believe that the BOP can upset the Magpies (and, no doubt, have my belief vindicated with a last gasp win to the Steamers).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aucks v Hogs highlights:

@2blues, I too have a SWMBO so I'm feeling your pain :) Enjoy anyways & who knows, nek week you could be attending your first-ever Shield defence.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A three and a half hour drive each way might be a hard sell to SWMBO :(
But I will definitely esconce myself in the comfy chair in front of the TV and assert my right to believe that the BOP can upset the Magpies (and, no doubt, have my belief vindicated with a last gasp win to the Steamers).

With The Shield, and the title "The Bay" at stake, no way is my mob going to lose to your mob @2bluesfan.

The hiding that @WaiopehuOB's Canterbury Lambs delivered on Saturday would have knocked any complacency out of the Gimblett Gravellers and they will be ready to repel the BOPping Steamers.

SWMBO may be swayed by the prospect spending a fine spring weekend in The Bay, sampling some of the fine food and beverage options available in and around Napier.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
With The Shield, and the title "The Bay" at stake, no way is my mob going to lose to your mob @2bluesfan.

The hiding that @WaiopehuOB's Canterbury Lambs delivered on Saturday would have knocked any complacency out of the Gimblett Gravellers and they will be ready to repel the BOPping Steamers.

SWMBO may be swayed by the prospect spending a fine spring weekend in The Bay, sampling some of the fine food and beverage options available in and around Napier.
We shall see. I fully expect the Magpies to come out all guns blazing (and that can be a sight to behold) but I expect the BOP will rise to the challenge even with the burden of my support.

I have visited Napier before and I have to say it is a very nice place in a very nice area but unfortunately circumstances won't allow us to take a mini-break at the moment.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Tries of the Week, Round 5:

Everyone's been doing the "Club Socks" thing, looks like Harbour took it to the next level & cobbled together all their Club jerseys.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jason Woodward named on the wing for Wellys v Hogs, first game since he broke his ankle back in March.

Makos & Harbour (really gotta find them a monicker) are doubling up this week, starting with each other tonight then Aucks & Cantabs, respectively, on Sunday.

Big day in Napier on Saturday as Steamers come to town & no doubt hope to have an extra passenger on the return trip........................

image.jpg

Mighty 'nua at home to North Otago & need a win to stay in Meads Cup territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.