• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good chance Ireland finish last. Got France next round, they were much better last night and will be put it together eventually. Italy away to decide the wooden spoon.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ireland won't finish last for the simple reason that we play well when it doesn't really matter so I expect us to beat Italy, maybe not a comfortable win as Italy will also want to finish on a high but it will be a win. France is a different story no matter how good Ireland are or how bad a team France have at the time we just have a mental block against them. Due to that we actually have to be 3 scores plus better than them to may scrape a 1 score win if that makes any sense.

Conor O'Shea was on the panel for RTÉ coverage today and the rest of the panel were putting him forward as Kidney's replacement. Hopefully Kidney does step down as it's been downhill all the way since the Grand Slam. I've got huge respect for him for what he's done in his career but he's in a position now where he's damaging Irish rugby by staying in his position.

The players simply don't perform for him anymore and I have grave doubts that the player play for Heaslip either. Other than O'Driscoill, who's always be brutally honest about the teams performances after games, Rob Kearney is the play who's post match interviews I find most insightful. He's got a bit of BOD about him in that regard and you can tell he believes what he's saying. Heaslip to me looks as if he's been coached and what to say and not to say and doesn't come across as natural at all. Give me a BOD, Kearney, POC, heart on the sleeve type any day of the week.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
That was shocking from Ireland, all the possession in the world and only got one try. It amazes me that Earls still can't fix a defender and give a pass. ROG was shocking in his cameo, what was that cross field kick in our 22? His kicks for touch rarely made more that 10 metres. Trying to find fault with the pack, although they didn't have a dominating performance everyone just seemed to give 6/10 efforts except Ryan he is making a real run for the Lions.
Only positive is that DK is surely on his way out, yes he won the grand slam and beat the Aussies in the rain but Ireland have regressed every year under him and his is wasting the careers of some really gifted players.
Luke Marshall looks like he could be the business as well.
Think that Jackson was good will ball in hand but his place kicking fell apart as we knew it could. Thought Madigan was the man to go with before this game and still think we'd be celebrating a victory if he was the man in the 10 jersey. I hope Kidney gives Jackson the 22 jersey if Sexton is back for the France game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not too many Irishmen in the B&I Lions then?

Will this tour be the Soap Dodgers plus a few invited guests to round out the "gaps"?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Firstly Rog's cross field kick would have came off if Fitzgerald didn't come in and snatch at it, not going to defend the rest of his play but that kick was in the perfect spot to run onto and would have been away if he didn't knock the ball on.

Forwards:

Props: Both had no impact on the game

Best was awful, have never seen him throw that bad. He has had a good 6 Nations prior to this game.

SOB and Ryan where the only two who played well. Both should tour with the Lions but need to perform in the last 2 games, and that's tour I am not saying start.

Heaslip, not the leader to take Ireland into the future

Backs:

Jackson, clearly not ready for International Rugby

Marshall, Started well but did not do much in the second half

Gilroy, good finish to the try, didn't get much of the ball otherwise.

O'Driscoll, looked like he was trying to do to much and meant he was rarely in the right place to get the ball, yes Earls should have made that pass but BOD was not going to get to the line he was well covered.

Earls, ran the ball hard at the line and did stuff up on the break.

Kearney, Best of the backs for me and was great under the high ball.

For the scots I can not single out any players, their forwards disrupted everything all game and there backs gained territory when needed. Outstanding performance to hang in and than take a win when they could have trailed by 25 at half time really.

Their Line out was outstanding and a real danger.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Firstly Rog's cross field kick would have came off if Fitzgerald didn't come in and snatch at it, not going to defend the rest of his play but that kick was in the perfect spot to run onto and would have been away if he didn't knock the ball on.

That kick was the silver lining on the massive ROG cloud, Fitz of 2009 probably would have scored from that. I'm talking about the aimless cross kick on our 22 to no one in particular which led to Scotlands final score. Really bizzare choice from him, sad to see such an Irish ligind fall to that level.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not too many Irishmen in the B&I Lions then?

Will this tour be the Soap Dodgers plus a few invited guests to round out the "gaps"?

I think we'll probably see Healy, Best, Ryan, SOB, Sexton and BOD in the match day 23.

As for the tour party I think we'll see about 12 English, 10 Welsh, 9 Irish and the rest Scots.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I thought we played really well in defence, especially since Barnes gave every 50:50 call to the Irish.
Some decisions really baffled me but we rode our luck and got a very lucky win.
Thought Cross and Grant played well, Ford was great in the loose and Hamilton was head and shoulders above the whole Irish pack.
Scott again defended really well as did Maitland and Hogg.
Hopefully Weir replaces Jackson for the Wales game as he was our weak link in attack and defence.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scotland might not be able to score tries, but no side in world rugby can defend a narrow lead like they can with a mountain of possession against them.

France seem to be going through one of their chaotic phases where they spend most of their time squabbling. A pity, they have plenty of talent. Almost cried when they beat themselves by substituting their best players with 25 to go and momentum with them.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The France Ireland game is going to be interesting both teams look devoid of spirit and leadership.

Interestingly some of the Irish media have started to jump on the Kidney/ROG out bandwagon, about two years too late in my opinion but better late than never that they get onboard. Big winner out of yesterday could be Fergus McFadden, he could come in at 11 and kick goals. The next squad announcement will be really interesting Kidney may as well go for broke seeing as he is a dead man walking.

I must say fair play to Scotland and well done to the Scottish guys on here, Gunnerdownunder and Braveheart81 hope you enjoyed the victory! I hope to share a beer with you over the season so we can celebrate it.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I thought we played really well in defence, especially since Barnes gave every 50:50 call to the Irish.
Some decisions really baffled me but we rode our luck and got a very lucky win.
Thought Cross and Grant played well, Ford was great in the loose and Hamilton was head and shoulders above the whole Irish pack.
Scott again defended really well as did Maitland and Hogg.
Hopefully Weir replaces Jackson for the Wales game as he was our weak link in attack and defence.
Fair play to scotland, the set piece was much stronger than Ireland which surprised me but there you go. Hamilton had a very good game as did both the scottish props. However to lose a game with 80% of possession is ludicrous; Kidney must have lost his job now but it is not solely down to the coach, serious questions need to be asked of Best, Heaslip, Kearney, DOC and even BOD who were the senior men today. ROG should not have been within an asses roar of that squad, he is absolutely terrible at this stage and what that kick was about to the scottish midfield I will never know!! I had reservations about Jackson kicking given he wasn't kicking for Ulster last weekend and they were proved correct however they should stick with him now and bring Madigan onto the bench.

Longer term they need to see whether Schmidt wants to lead Ireland through to the next RWC. If he doesn't then we need to bring in an outsider who cannot be accused of regional bias. With the way Munster are performing at the moment, Kidney might well be welcomed home with open arms!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
.../snip/...

If he doesn't then we need to bring in an outsider who cannot be accused of regional bias. With the way Munster are performing at the moment, Kidney might well be welcomed home with open arms!!

There is a suitable candidate (an outsider) for coach of the Ireland Rugby Team who will be off contract at the end of this year.

Well credentialed - 5 + years International Head Coach, Several Super Rugby Titles, ITM/NPC cup victories. Perfect fit in many respects.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Longer term they need to see whether Schmidt wants to lead Ireland through to the next RWC. If he doesn't then we need to bring in an outsider who cannot be accused of regional bias. With the way Munster are performing at the moment, Kidney might well be welcomed home with open arms!!

I'd like to see them make a move for Ewen Mckenzie before the ARU fire Deans after the Lions Tour. Proven coach who took the Reds from no where to Champions, see if he can do the same with Ireland who are currently no where to be found.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is a suitable candidate (an outsider) for coach of the Ireland Rugby Team who will be off contract at the end of this year.

Well credentialed - 5 + years International Head Coach, Several Super Rugby Titles, ITM/NPC cup victories. Perfect fit in many respects.
You can keep Robbie Deans for yourself.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd like to see them make a move for Ewen Mckenzie before the ARU fire Deans after the Lions Tour. Proven coach who took the Reds from no where to Champions, see if he can do the same with Ireland who are currently no where to be found.

Hands Off, He's ours!

You can keep Robbie Deans for yourself.

Bugger. You saw through my clever ruse. (edit) Do you think the Single Malts would want him?

Status
Not open for further replies.