• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Could someone please deny them the title. I don't normally wish England too much misfortune, but this group really seem to be something else. Are they as obnoxious up close as they seem 12,000 miles away?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Could someone please deny them the title. I don't normally wish England too much misfortune, but this group really seem to be something else. Are they as obnoxious up close as they seem 12,000 miles away?
As long as they are denied a Grand Slam, could live with them winning the title on points but just not the Grand slam.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Hartley, Wood, Lawes, Farrell, Tuilagi, 'the Brand' and Ashton are as big a collection of gynecological mistakes as you would ever be likely to meet. It is actually quite a relief to no longer support Irish involvement in the Lions franchise because it means I don't have to feel like I have soiled myself supporting c**nts like these. I would say that Cole and Robshaw don't seem too bad and, for all he can be a bit of a spide, I quite like Brown who is hard but fair. Farrell was very lucky he didn't do anything citable on saturday, he lost his head in that first half; ironically, if Parra hadn't put in that ridiculous footballers dive I think Farrell's elbow to his face could have interested the citing commissioners.

B

blindandopen

Hartley, Wood, Lawes, Farrell, Tuilagi, 'the Brand' and Ashton are as big a collection of gynecological mistakes as you would ever be likely to meet

Mate, whay all the hate for the poms? Is it more than rugby? I can understand why you would not like Ashton, I read enough posts bagging him for being arrogant, but I would say the "splash down" is more disrespectful than arrogant? Has he done anything else I'm unaware of?

I read everywhere that the poms coach Lancaster has moulded a very good team with no superstars what so ever?

Surely Healy's deliberate stamp on Cole was just as bad (if not worse) than Farrell's misdemeanour? I'm sure Farrell's old man will straighten him out. He was one of the most competitive & respectful Mungo's to ever play the game.

I enjoy a good sledge with the poms as much as anyone, but I have to admit this current team has all the early hallmarks of the 2003 side, and as much as I hated losing the WC I have to say they were one of the most respectful teams I've seen. Wilkinson & Johnson were real gents. Very humble in victory & defeat.

B

blindandopen

Hartley, Wood, Lawes, Farrell, Tuilagi, 'the Brand' and Ashton are as big a collection of gynecological mistakes as you would ever be likely to meet

Mate, whay all the hate for the poms? Is it more than rugby? I can understand why you would not like Ashton, I read enough posts bagging him for being arrogant, but I would say the "splash down" is more disrespectful than arrogant? Has he done anything else I'm unaware of?

I read everywhere that the poms coach Lancaster has moulded a very good team with no superstars what so ever?

Surely Healy's deliberate stamp on Cole was just as bad (if not worse) than Farrell's misdemeanour? I'm sure Farrell's old man will straighten him out. He was one of the most competitive & respectful Mungo's to ever play the game.

I enjoy a good sledge with the poms as much as anyone, but I have to admit this current team has all the early hallmarks of the 2003 side, and as much as I hated losing the WC I have to say they were one of the most respectful teams I've seen. Wilkinson & Johnson were real gents. Very humble in victory & defeat.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I won't defend Healy and am disgusted that the IRFU are appealing against his ban as I thought he was very lucky to only get four weeks. The only thing I will say, however is that this incident, as out of control as Healy was, was out of character because he has never been cited before.

All the English players I highlighted are serial thugs and have had multiple bans although the RFU manage to avoid them ever impinging on the national selection, funnily enough!?!

Lancaster is a good fella and I highlighted Cole and Robshaw as good straight up rugby players.

Oh and much as I respect Martin Johnson as a player, his behaviour in Dublin in 2003 was absolutely disgraceful especially when you consider the fragile nature of the peace process in Ireland at that time. I will credit him that he might be too thick to understand the context but if he had shown that level of disrespect to the Aussie PM your country would have been in up roar.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
[quote="blindandopen, post: 450433, member: 11381"
I enjoy a good sledge with the poms as much as anyone, but I have to admit this current team has all the early hallmarks of the 2003 side, and as much as I hated losing the WC I have to say they were one of the most respectful teams I've seen. Wilkinson & Johnson were real gents. Very humble in victory & defeat.[/quote]

I'm not buying the hype about this team. They are extremely limited in their game plan and are the best of a mediocre at best bunch in the 6 nations. It is all built around solid defence and a good kick chase, victories against a virus ridden All Blacks team and Irish and French teams in disarray don't hide the fact that England were pretty terrible for the summer tour and the other November tests.
Talent wise, as in the pure class of player available, I'd have France first then Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, Italy. Ireland and France are severely handicapped by their coach whilst Wales stupidly lent theirs to the Lions. The real talent in England is in the coaching panel. They have a clear plan and execute well but in the World Cup, given their draw, even getting out of the group will be an achievement. The second coming of the White Orcs this ain't.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
They're better than that, if not the Messiahs that a few England supporters I know claim them to be. They're lacking a quality 8. I don't think Big Fat Unfit Ben is one, but he's more effective (till he runs out of gas) than Wood who is a very good 6 playing out of position. They also patently obviously lack depth at 8. TTE is pap. They need better than a strong defender and defence organiser at 12 - hullo Dingo and Pat McCabe - and they have problems in the front row with talent and depth. Marler is still young, inexperienced and vulnerable. Corbisiero, much better than Marler, seems to have developed what could be a chronic knee problem, and there's no one decent to back up Cole.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I've seen lots of people claiming Paddy Jackson lost this game for Ireland based on his goal kicking. Around the park he was pretty good and with 80% possession this game should never have come down to goal kicking percentages.

The lineouts were the biggest problem for the Irish and that was Best's fault - his throwing was dreadful.

What about Earls when he made that break in the first half and didn't pass to O'Driscoll?

What about the shocking display by O'Gara - the crossfield kick - the last pass to Marshall?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
They're better than that, if not the Messiahs that a few England supporters I know claim them to be. They're lacking a quality 8. I don't think Big Fat Unfit Ben is one, but he's more effective (till he runs out of gas) than Wood who is a very good 6 playing out of position. They also patently obviously lack depth at 8. TTE is pap. They need better than a strong defender and defence organiser at 12 - hullo Dingo and Pat McCabe - and they have problems in the front row with talent and depth. Marler is still young, inexperienced and vulnerable. Corbisiero, much better than Marler, seems to have developed what could be a chronic knee problem, and there's no one decent to back up Cole.
Every country has the problem of back up at 3 and to be honest, Cole is not quite as wonderful as everyone says he is although he is still very young for a Tight head.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
One thing Cole has done is improve his balance or whatever it is that has props dropping a paw on the ground to steady themselves. He used to do it a lot. Haven't seen him do it for a while.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
One thing Cole has done is improve his balance or whatever it is that has props dropping a paw on the ground to steady themselves. He used to do it a lot. Haven't seen him do it for a while.

Did it three scrums in a row against Healy in the Ireland game but got away with it.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I've seen lots of people claiming Paddy Jackson lost this game for Ireland based on his goal kicking. Around the park he was pretty good and with 80% possession this game should never have come down to goal kicking percentages.

The lineouts were the biggest problem for the Irish and that was Best's fault - his throwing was dreadful.

What about Earls when he made that break in the first half and didn't pass to O'Driscoll?

What about the shocking display by O'Gara - the crossfield kick - the last pass to Marshall?

In the Irish media anyways there is a lot of politics at play, many pundits played with the likes of ROG and Best and don't want to make the hard call to criticize their mate. There also seems to be the belief that the current O'Gara is the version from 2009 who was almost flawless that season, serious blind spot there. So they take the easy option and give the 21 year old who has been injured for a month and hasn't kicked in 6 weeks the blame.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
So they take the easy option and give the 21 year old who has been injured for a month and hasn't kicked in 6 weeks the blame.

Talk about throwing someone to the wolves!

I see Sexton is likely to be ruled out again this week - surely they'll go with Jackson?

B

blindandopen

I won't defend Healy and am disgusted that the IRFU are appealing against his ban as I thought he was very lucky to only get four weeks. The only thing I will say, however is that this incident, as out of control as Healy was, was out of character because he has never been cited before.

All the English players I highlighted are serial thugs and have had multiple bans although the RFU manage to avoid them ever impinging on the national selection, funnily enough!?!

Lancaster is a good fella and I highlighted Cole and Robshaw as good straight up rugby players.

Oh and much as I respect Martin Johnson as a player, his behaviour in Dublin in 2003 was absolutely disgraceful especially when you consider the fragile nature of the peace process in Ireland at that time. I will credit him that he might be too thick to understand the context but if he had shown that level of disrespect to the Aussie PM your country would have been in up roar.

I see your point about Martin Johnston. I think that was more ignorance than anything. The English from what I remember did line up at the end they warmed up, but I think they should have moved out of courtesy. Anyway, I can't say too much after Johnny Howard chucked the medals at them.

It seems to me that the Irish / Welsh / Scottish always use their dislike of a few individuals to justify their hatred of English rugby. I may be wrong, & I certainly don't mean to offend if you believe different, but that's how it comes across. Us Aussies certainly always brand them as arrogant to justify the rivalry.... but then look at the 3 amigos - Quade "speed bump" Cooper, James "the brand" O'Conner, and of course Kurtley the bouncer basher too.... we haven't got a leg to stand on.

Rugby is littered with thugs and always has been, some people just cannot control that aggression. Steve Finnane, Richard Loe, Colin Meads, Burger & Bakkies to name a recent few. Etzebeth looks like he's gonna be a handfull too, disrespectful little twirp. Didn't your fella Brennan go wading in the crowd not so long ago aswell?

I guess no one will ever give any England sporting team the fair go they possibly deserve? We either bag the individuals, or bag the way they play. I really enjoy the rivalry, but I think it goes a bit far sometimes.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Talk about throwing someone to the wolves!

I see Sexton is likely to be ruled out again this week - surely they'll go with Jackson?

Now he's gone with Jackson I hope he sticks with him. Would like to see either Keatley or Maddigan brought onto the bench instead of ROD, maybe a miracle will happen and Hanrahan will get a run. McFadden will probably come on to the win for the kicks at goal.

Kidney's position i beyond rescue now I think, so however long he's left in the job before stepping down I hope he does the right thing for the future of Irish rugby and gives the young up and coming guys the chance to gain some much needed experience.

ROG probably should have retired for international duty after the RWC but, as Geordan Murphy wrote at the time, the Irish central contracting system is a disincentive for senior players to make themselves unavailable for international duty. Doing so would mean a less lucrative contract. So in that case you can't really blame the players for remaining available for selection.

In a case like Ireland's the onus is on the coach to decide when it's time for someone to retire from the test scene. Deccie however is too close to certain players and he didn't make the tough call after the RWC. The end to ROGs test career now won't be what he deserved and that's a pity.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Having now analysed Ireland's lineouts in this game I must withdraw my criticism of Best - his throwing wasn't that bad.

Whilst Ireland won only 60% of their lineouts in that first half, Best threw 80% of his throws well. It was a combination of his two poor throws, confusion in the Irish lineout and great pressure from Scotland that caused the other two lineouts to be lost.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Now he's gone with Jackson I hope he sticks with him. Would like to see either Keatley or Maddigan brought onto the bench instead of ROD, maybe a miracle will happen and Hanrahan will get a run. McFadden will probably come on to the win for the kicks at goal.

Kidney's position i beyond rescue now I think, so however long he's left in the job before stepping down I hope he does the right thing for the future of Irish rugby and gives the young up and coming guys the chance to gain some much needed experience.

ROG probably should have retired for international duty after the RWC but, as Geordan Murphy wrote at the time, the Irish central contracting system is a disincentive for senior players to make themselves unavailable for international duty. Doing so would mean a less lucrative contract. So in that case you can't really blame the players for remaining available for selection.

In a case like Ireland's the onus is on the coach to decide when it's time for someone to retire from the test scene. Deccie however is too close to certain players and he didn't make the tough call after the RWC. The end to ROGs test career now won't be what he deserved and that's a pity.

According to a poster on Leinster fans, who is a rumoured IRFU insider and frequently leaks team info etc which is always bang on, Kidney was never getting his contract renewed after the tournament. Also he has said that Mike Ruddock, current u-20’s boss, is as good as a shoo-in for the head job.

I think in the past couple of years we’ve seen the disadvantage of the central contracts and the tax break. Although the IRFU have hardly helped themselves in this regard, they gave DOC and ROG central contracts when neither are 1st choice players but not SOB who is integral to the way we play.

They have to keep Jackson as 10, although I’d like to see Ferg McFadden into the team in the 11 jersey to take the place kicks. Earls shouldn’t play for Ireland until he learns to look around when he breaks. That isn’t the first that has happened, it happened twice in Twickenham last year and once in Paris I think. Madigan would be on the bench for me as he has a good “impact” playing style, although I don’t really see the point in debating it cause ROG will be on the bench and come on with 15 minutes to go to “close the game out” and give us another spectacular brain fart.

Status
Not open for further replies.