• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 12: Reds v Sunwolves, Lang Park, 3/5/19 @ 7:45pm

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t get the criticism of Gardiner. He communicated clearly and when the players kept transgressing he went to the pocket.

Every card was spot on under the rules.

It’s hardly Gardiner’s fault that the players discipline was so poor.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t get the criticism of Gardiner. He communicated clearly and when the players kept transgressing he went to the pocket.

Every card was spot on under the rules.

It’s hardly Gardiner’s fault that the players discipline was so poor.

I’m not criticising Angus, it’s just the reality that he didn’t have control of the game because of the cynical intent of the teams. absolutely I blame the teams for that

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
there was 5 cards this match, he didn’t have control of it. Sunwolves were horribly ill-disciplined and continues to flaunt it cynically all night, Reds were stupid with some silly penalties
That seems a contradiction to me. As you point out both teams were ill disciplined.

The only way Gardiner could control it was to penalise and issue cards. He was clearly talking to the players to try and get them to toe the line.

Not meaning to be smart - but what would you have done different as a ref to control it.

Edit: sorry was typing my last post as you were typing yours. Understand what you are saying now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
That seems a contradiction to me. As you point out both teams were ill disciplined.

The only way Gardiner could control it was to penalise and issue cards. He was clearly talking to the players to try and get them to toe the line.

Not meaning to be smart - but what would you have done different as a ref to control it.

No, I like Angus Gardner..

A referee should remain invisible, he shouldn’t need to blow the whistle or make game changing decisions, to me that’s the role of a referee and the best way a referee could control a game. As a referee myself, if I need to issue penalties and cards or the teams are playing outside the law, I feel I’ve lose control of the game. My role is to guide them, make sure they play within the rules and laws.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Guy in blue t shirt standing behind thorn in his team chat at half time. Bo Hanson. I've worked with him in school rowing about adecade ago when he was starting off. Worked with the coaching groups (40+) in leadership development, communication styles, etc etc. Amazing. Reds hired him purely to work with Brad to help him become a better communicator. 4 time olympian rower, 3 time olympic medalist. International professional coach basically. Wouldn't be cheap!

https://athleteassessments.com/about-bo-hanson/

And meanwhile junior representative girls teams are trying to find ways to scrape money together to fund sending a team to Sydney to play NSW while a coach gets taught how to communicate? Something is wrong there.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
I just don't get why we didn't seem to have any urgency to go for the bonus point there - we were 3 men up FFS!!!

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reds did enough. Don’t think anything else can be said from that game.

At least they are in a better position than they were to start the round.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What on earth happened in this game. I get home, turn on the TV and there's 5 minutes to go, TMO referral red card for a boot to the head and yellow for provoking it. I look at the scoreboard and there's already two other players off and it's 12 against 14.

I assume that both sides played with no discipline whatsoever. I expect more from a professional rugby player than that silly boot to the head. Just dumb.

And slightly off topic, not being a regular super rugby watcher I couldn't help but notice that there seemed to be a distinct lack of Japanese players in the Sunwolves. As there isn't support for the team from the JRU (the official reason for SANZAAR booting them out), why doesn't SANZAAR relocate them somewhere? Perth for example? ;)

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Gardiner did a good job, the number of times he called out the captain's and talked to them, trying to get them to get the players to behave was crazy.

The Reds of previous years would have let the Sun Wolves get under their skins too much and lost that game. I thought it a massive win.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Angus had great control over teams who insisted on breaching the laws.
He gave the captains plenty of opportunity to control their own players.
One of his comments included "I'm backing off a bit here" iirc so we were spared the disaster of even more cards.
I can't think of a way any ref could have done better.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Yellow card for offside?

Screenshot_20190504-043529-01.jpeg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I agree Strewth, I was amazed that was called offside when at the game. I went to game as I usually do and saw nothing that would really make you think there was anything that would help increase the crowd in future games!
And although I was there supporting Reds I thought a couple of myths were dispelled last night,
1 I continually read on here that SA parks keep replaying incidents to influence the ref, well Suncorp were masterful at that last night I thought.
2 Gus Gardiner is a good ref, but not as top drawer as some indicate, he seems to be having a few off games, he looked like he didn't quite know where he should be last night, how the 'offside' above deserved a YC perplexed me a bit. I menetioned a couple of weeks ago I thought maybe he had a game he would rather forget, and refs like players have off nights, he just having a few at moment I think!