• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Could the "rumour has it" be the speculation on these very threads.

It would be a good move if he could be landed, albeit he needs to work on his defence.

Could be, the one thing they're right but is Ged.

Ged is basically the reason Woodward and Fuglistaller ended up at the Rebs because he told management "take a look at these blokes" though his Wellington ITM connection. Because let's face it, there's always plenty of guys who don't make Super rugby from the ITM Cup that COULD make it (and not all of them can for this and that reason).

So it's perfectly logical to presume they've trusted Ged and he's said "Yes, West has a good training ethic" or "Yes, West won't fuck up off field". That kind of info is hard to find, even in the professional environment the only good tangible stuff you have is match tapes.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2013–14_Super_Rugby_transfers#Rebels

The reference article it came from looks legit, however it also said SBW was off to the Chiefs. So maybe hold off until the Rebels make the announcement.

There isn't any mention of West in the Wiki today. May have been removed already? The quoted article just seems to be a bit of speculation from the author (who didn't even get the right Rebels logo).

Sam Cordingley did say the other day that they wanted to sign two more Aussies...

With the Club having recently confirmed their five man Extended Playing Squad (EPS), focus has turned to filling the remaining two spots on the Club's roster for 2014.
General Manager Rugby, Sam Cordingley, said that the Club would ideally be able to fill both spots with Australian players.
"We have identified the need for a further lock and another option at flyhalf," Cordingley said. "We hope to have something to announce to our Members soon in regards to these final two signings."

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sam Cordingley did say the other day that they wanted to sign two more Aussies.

He said ideally. Could be reading too much into it but he could be saying "Ozzies are slim pickings but we COULD get one".

Good Ozzie locks who are uncontracted:
Timani

Okay Ozzie locks who are uncontracted:
????

Good Ozzie 5/8s who are uncontracted:
????

Okay Ozzie 5/8s who are uncontracted:
Christie (kinda Ozzie, I thought he was okay at playing at the line for the Force)
Seymour (had good form to start the ITM, but wasn't so great later on)
Daruda (maybe? he was certainly looking for a super rugby spot for 2013)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He said ideally. Could be reading too much into it but he could be saying "Ozzies are slim pickings but we COULD get one".

Good Ozzie locks who are uncontracted:
Timani

Okay Ozzie locks who are uncontracted:
????

Good Ozzie 5/8s who are uncontracted:
????

Okay Ozzie 5/8s who are uncontracted:
Christie (kinda Ozzie, I thought he was okay at playing at the line for the Force)
Seymour (had good form to start the ITM, but wasn't so great later on)
Daruda (maybe? he was certainly looking for a super rugby spot for 2013)

Add Saifoloi to that list at least.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
BRING GITEAU HOME! :p

While I know this is nigh impossible for next year, (given he's contracted to the arguably best NH team), wanting him in 2015 for a World Cup berth isn't too unrealistic is it?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wouldn't be at all unhappy if we ended up signing Saifoloi and Sita Timani... as long as Timani was prepared to commit for a minimum two to three years. There's no point having him moping around the place for just one season.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Add Saifoloi to that list at least.

Wouldn't mind him, can't see him sitting about EPS level though.

We could upgrade an existing EPS guy (like we did last year). Maybe Pat Leafa? There's no pecking order from the 3 Rebels hookers on the form sheet and it would open up selection options in the match day 23.

BRING GITEAU HOME! :p

While I know this is nigh impossible for next year, (given he's contracted to the arguably best NH team), wanting him in 2015 for a World Cup berth isn't too unrealistic is it?

He branded himself as a Brumbie-for-life when he last switched back to them.

Still, with an ARU top-up doing a substantial amount of the heavy lifting there's no reason he couldn't come back in 2015, he's never ruled it out. Though he might see McGann as indicative of the Deans-error Wallabies that he thoroughly hated.

I wouldn't be at all unhappy if we ended up signing Saifoloi and Sita Timani. as long as Timani was prepared to commit for a minimum two to three years. There's no point having him moping around the place for just one season.

It'd make the most sense for him to stick around until post WC when all the juicy space opens up in the French club's budgets.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Still, with an ARU top-up doing a substantial amount of the heavy lifting there's no reason he couldn't come back in 2015, he's never ruled it out. Though he might see McGann as indicative of the Deans-error Wallabies that he thoroughly hated.

He was never with the Wallabies when McGann was attached so should not be a issue. Can't see him leaving France unless he is home sick. With Mitchell who is one of his best mates being over their as well he won't be home sick.

D

daz

He was never with the Wallabies when McGann was attached so should not be a issue. Can't see him leaving France unless he is home sick. With Mitchell who is one of his best mates being over their as well he won't be home sick.

Not to mention he is playing well in a team that is winning silverware. That means even more moolah for him.

Why come back to playing catch-up rugby, especially if Wallaby players wages are set to fall?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not to mention he is playing well in a team that is winning silverware. That means even more moolah for him.

Why come back to playing catch-up rugby, especially if Wallaby players wages are set to fall?

Reason to come back: Success at International level, he may have played 92 test (I think its around that) but he never won any silverware. No Tri Nations or Bledisloe Cups. You never know that might give him a itching to achieve something and try get 100 caps.

But I think he will stay in France.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Best opposition for them, get some unlikelies out there and tell them that if they ace it, they could be there in the first game.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Ihaia West to play for the NZ Maori, thus leaving him ineligible for any other nation.

I'm all for a successful Rebels squad but I'd like to see our spots going to blokes who are at the least eligible to play for Australia, either immediately or after naturalisation.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Assuming that this clause covers the NZ Maori as the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team.

8.2 A Player who has played for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the senior National Representative Sevens Team of a Union is not eligible to play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the senior National Representative Sevens Team of another Union.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Assuming that this clause covers the NZ Maori as the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team.

8.2 A Player who has played for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the senior National Representative Sevens Team of a Union is not eligible to play for the senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the next senior fifteen-a-side National Representative Team or the senior National Representative Sevens Team of another Union.

I actually don't think NZ Maori counts, as its a selection side similar to the Baa Baa's on Pacific Islands team and not actually a National side.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Ihaia West to play for the NZ Maori, thus leaving him ineligible for any other nation.

I'm all for a successful Rebels squad but I'd like to see our spots going to blokes who are at the least eligible to play for Australia, either immediately or after naturalisation.

No the NZ Maori side is not a national representative one. Seeing as there is no current New Zealand A the u20s becomes the de facto 2nd side.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
West is a talent. There's no doubting that and would be a good pick up. However, why are they looking East when there's a bloke who has been running around in the Shute Shield. Effectively dominating his position that could take that spot. SEriously, what does Rohan Saifoli need to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.