• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ewen McKenzie

Playing
Teams:
∗Australia (1988-1997) 51 tests
∗World XV (1992)
∗NSW Waratahs (1987-1995) 37 games
∗ACT Brumbies (1996-1997) 36 games including 1997 final
Coaching
Coaching Appointments:
Director of Coaching – Queensland Reds 2013
Head Coach – Queensland Reds 2010-12
Head Coach – Stade Francais 2009
Head Coach – Australia A 2005
Head Coach – Waratahs 2003-2008
Assistant Coach/Coaching Coordinator – Wallabies 2000-03
Coaching Coordinator – ACT Brumbies 1998-2000

Coaching Achievements:

Super Rugby Australian Conference Winners – 2011-12 (Queensland Reds)
Super Rugby Championship – 2011 (Queensland Reds)
France Top 14 Semi-Finalists – 2009 (Stade Francais)
Super Rugby Semi-Finalists – 2006 (Waratahs)
Super Rugby Finalists – 2005 and 2008 (Waratahs)
Rugby World Cup Finalist – 2003 (Wallabies)
British and Irish Lions Winners - 2001 (Wallabies)
Tri Nations Winners – 2000 and 2001 (Wallabies)
Bledisloe Cup Winners – 2000 and 2001 (Wallabies)
Super Rugby Finalists - 2000 (Brumbies)

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I like Jones' suggestion.

Link would be a great catalyst at Rebeland, as would Jake in the national setup. My only concern with JW at the helm is the gameplan he would bring, but that's for another thread and discussion.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Jones is a Muppet.

This Muppet?

images

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
What you mean JW might bring a worse game plan than "play what's in front of you"?

There has been a lot of unwarranted criticism of Robbie over his mantra, "Play what's in front of you."

If he had just said that and then shut up I'm convinced that we could have been reasonably competitive, even against the All Blacks. The problem arose when he proceeded to elaborate and explain how to do it. Days later when the players ran onto the field for a Test most of them would still have had their eyes glazed over.

The previous Wallabies coach famed for his incoherence was Dave Brockhoff but when he roared lines like:
  • "I want you flankers coming around those rucks like sharks in dirty water";
  • ''You'll run out, you'll line up on the other side of halfway, and then you're going to go through them like a madman in a glass factory with a crowbar'':
  • ''Breakaways … no excuses, cause havoc at the breakdown like sharks in a school of mullet. And when you're through the other side we're like crowbars through the Opera House window. We get in, loot the joint and get out''; and
  • ''We must have the fruit, so every lineout a dockyard brawl'';
even a winger would get the general vibe.

Not so with Robbie, of whom it might fairly be said, here is a man who is totally vibeless.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
different approaches for different eras,would imagine a few of these gen"Y" players would even comprehend a Brockhoff tirade--unless it was "good on you mum,tip top's the one"!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There has been a lot of unwarranted criticism of Robbie over his mantra, "Play what's in front of you."

If he had just said that and then shut up I'm convinced that we could have been reasonably competitive, even against the All Blacks. The problem arose when he proceeded to elaborate and explain how to do it. Days later when the players ran onto the field for a Test most of them would still have had their eyes glazed over.

The previous Wallabies coach famed for his incoherence was Dave Brockhoff but when he roared lines like:
  • "I want you flankers coming around those rucks like sharks in dirty water";
  • ''You'll run out, you'll line up on the other side of halfway, and then you're going to go through them like a madman in a glass factory with a crowbar'':
  • ''Breakaways … no excuses, cause havoc at the breakdown like sharks in a school of mullet. And when you're through the other side we're like crowbars through the Opera House window. We get in, loot the joint and get out''; and
  • ''We must have the fruit, so every lineout a dockyard brawl'';
even a winger would get the general vibe.

Not so with Robbie, of whom it might fairly be said, here is a man who is totally vibeless.
I recall a couple of others that caused me to wonder what the point was:
"We're gonna piss the bad ball off to the shithouse and reel back the security blanket" - it turned out that this meant kick for touch and start again, I think.
"You can't play on credit" - I think this meant you had to earn the right to go wide by going forward first, but I'm not entirely sure.
We lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I recall a couple of others that caused me to wonder what the point was:
"We're gonna piss the bad ball off to the shithouse and reel back the security blanket" - it turned out that this meant kick for touch and start again, I think.
"You can't play on credit" - I think this meant you had to earn the right to go wide by going forward first, but I'm not entirely sure.
We lost.

I was told that as one player trudged off after his first game in Ones, Brock greeted him with, "Get a photo of it, son." Thinking that this might have meant that the coach had been impressed by his performance, when he got into the sheds he asked one of the old hands. Apparently the message was: "Get a photo of it; you mightn't be here next week."

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I would have thought Robbie would be a shoo-in for one of the Crusaders, Hurricanes or Highlanders roles if they were to come up.

In saying that, I know he loves living in Australia and so do his family.

I would take Link or Robbie at the Rebels any day of the week, but I personally want to find a way to keep Hilly involved - I believe he has earnt it.

How about a Link/Hilly combo like the Richard Graham/Link one at the Reds, until Link gets the international opportunity he is craving?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Big call, but in the end I think it was the right one. It's a pretty comprehensive assessment of the guy's character that they didn't even offer him a lower contract, instead were more than happy to see him out the door.

As a supporter with a degree of emotional investment in the club it's pleasing to see a young organisation take what appears to be a principled stand.

One thing's certain, JOC (James O'Connor)'s hangover just got a fair bit worse.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I think he and Beale need to go work regular jobs for a realty check. Neither of them have any tertiary qualifications as yet, so an internship is out.... Too soft for labouring...

What about flipping patties at Hungry Jack's?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
Source: Rebels twitter feed.
Between JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale more than likely off to Thaland, there will be a bit more wiggle room under the cap. Do we chase Izzy, who Melbournians all know and many love? Would have loved to have seen Sam Lane down here until his knee went a second time.
Getting rid of the final amigos makes sense, as long as we can get some recognised and marketable players in.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I for one hope the Tahs don't chase him. I really do not want to see Beale and O'Connor together for the Tahs - although if anyone could knock some lack of entitlement into JOC (James O'Connor) it might be Cheika.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How often is it that a first choice starting Wallaby is unwanted by a Super Side?

1. Elsom
2. JOC (James O'Connor)
Anyone else?

I can understand Elsom, injured and struggling with form for three years. JOC (James O'Connor) however is at the hight of his career, and can fill most positions in the backline having played at them all at least reasonably except 9 and 13. It speaks volumes to me that Brand JOC (James O'Connor) has been declined.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely he has nowhere to go but west, or at a stretch the Reds?

The Brumbies don't want him, and don't have room for him..........

You would have to assume that the Tahs can't fit him in either, and more importantly they surely can't afford him and Beale otherwise there'd be some serious questions about their cap.......

Westie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wow. So the wb ten is team less this morning. Clearly rebels weren't impressed last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.