• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Haha, to be fair i'm not sure which side im on. I want to see a strong Australian conference, but also a very strong Tahs team. Whatever team he goes to he will add great depth and potential.

Not saying anything against Horwitz, but I thought Saifoloi clearly outplayed him yesterday. Is Rohan signed up by anybody?

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Not saying anything against Horwitz, but I thought Saifoloi clearly outplayed him yesterday. Is Rohan signed up by anybody?

Completely agree Rohan Saifoloi was very good yesterday. Horwitz threw one brilliant pass but didn't have much of a chance behind a beaten forward pack.

No Rohan hasn't been signed by anyone, although he seriously should be because he is a classy 5/8. Yesterday his goal-kicking was pretty poor but generally he has a very good boot.

The Rebels should definitely sign one of them.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Other than the argument of "its easier to look good behind a better forward pack" one must also consider that Horwitz probably has more upside to him at this point. That is not taking anything away from Saifoloi and in some ways it wouldn't be a bad move for the Rebels to sign both of them. It would ensure that we have recruited good coverage for one of the real area of weakness in our lineup (inside backs).

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeh they would both be great players to have, if the team had atleast one top quality 5/8. Unfortunately the Rebels don't have one. It would be a massive risk to go into the season with Hegarty, Horwitz and Saifoloi.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeh they would both be great players to have, if the team had atleast one top quality 5/8. Unfortunately the Rebels don't have one. It would be a massive risk to go into the season with Hegarty, Horwitz and Saifoloi.

Yeah, but from where? We tried to get Foley but that was shut down. Every other established 5/8th has been locked in by the other super franchises.

Its not like either are a huge risk either, we're not talking about kids fresh out of school here. They've both performed at a high level in the Shute Shield.

And at some point you just have to take a punt on the kids. NSW did it with Foley recently and it paid off in spades.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Completely agree. Unfortunately there is no one else.

In the case of Horwitz though he is still only 18, and has only played one season of Shute Shield. Foley was a different case. He had been playing Seven's for Australia for 3 - 4 years. As well as playing for Uni, before he was brought into the Tah's team. Even then he started from the bench and was eventually introduced at fullback.

I agree its necessary to take a punt on some guys but i'm not convinced either will be ready to start next season. But I guess we will wait and see then.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Are the Rebels chasing Jack Debreczeni for fly half as well? Apparently Essendon are as well. I think they have no chance. Why would you want to join them?

It's understood Debreczeni will meet with Essendon officials in coming days, while at the same time conducting a trial with Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels, who are keen on luring the youngster for the 2014 season.
The Brumbies are also interested in signing the in-demand Debreczeni.

Read more: http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/e...fl/story-e6frf4pu-1226708460201#ixzz2ddXcMiuo

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
I remember watching Debreczeni at school and he always had a massive boot, so I could see why AFL are interested in him. He is also pretty tall. Hopefully he stays in Union, although I dont see him ever becoming a real star he could be a very good squad player.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm pretty sure that article is wrong about him being a part of the U20s this year. I can see why the Brumbies would be keen- he sounds a bit like a Butch James style fly-half.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Jaysus. Reading that article, you'd have to think that he's almost the prototypical modern day 12. He's Jamie Roberts with a passing and kicking game :eek:

That being said, I would be thoroughly unsurprised that the Rebels are looking into any and all options they can for 10/12. I am even less surprised that they are being linked with anyone and their dog who can play 10/12.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Agree with you there, JB. It makes missing out on Foley look very sloppy, and with Beale going to the Tahs that's for both sides in this incident.

PLEASE lock up young Jack.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Agree with you there, JB. It makes missing out on Foley look very sloppy, and with Beale going to the Tahs that's for both sides in this incident.

PLEASE lock up young Jack.

I would hardly call it sloppy. He signed up and then reneged on the deal.
The only person that comes out of this badly is Foley.
Hopefully he gets to spend many days getting splinters in his backside while Beale steers the Tahs round the park. But I am not bitter at all.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

While it would no doubt be a risk to go in with 3 rookie flyhalves; the rebels don't have a lot of options, and from an Australian Rugby point of view it is better that they give promising youngsters a shot rather than just fall back on Hilgendorf or some half baked kiwi journeyman.

Have to say looking at the strength of the squads over the 5 provinces next season, the super rugby expansion has done wonderful things for the depth of australian rugby.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
just noticed the rebels website player profiles have changed.
they have "culled" all the leavers, and no Saffy. does anyone know if he is officially gone as it would seem so.
no "newbies" as yet, just the 2013 squad minus those who have left

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
they have "culled" all the leavers, and no Saffy. does anyone know if he is officially gone as it would seem so.

Looks like they are only half-way through an edit. i thought Tom and Jordy were on full contracts and I wouldn't be surprised if those EPS letters disappear from next to Bryce's name soon.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)

Swingpass I was told Saffy was going to France. About a month ago Saffy re-tweeted a couple of tweets from Racing Club Narbonne. So I'd say there is a fair chance that is where he is going.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I find it a little odd that they haven't announced it yet, if he is leaving. Perhaps they are persuading him to stay? He did have a good year after all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Saffy is going to France it seems bizarre that he hasn't gone already.

The other Australian players heading over there who haven't left yet are only here because the ARU hasn't released them (like Drew Mitchell).

Status
Not open for further replies.