• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

He certainly doesn't have the talent for a club to just put up with it.

Put up with what, exactly? I have not heard a peep about Rory being a problem.

If there have been any disciplinary issues with him the club have done very well to keep them quiet, given that every other misdemeanour by other players is reported.

Is this just an unsubstantiated shit-stir?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Put up with what, exactly? I have not heard a peep about Rory being a problem.

If there have been any disciplinary issues with him the club have done very well to keep them quiet, given that every other misdemeanour by other players is reported.
Maybe that's because the Melbourne media would not even know who Sidey is, the only attention the Rebels get is when marquee players have missed behaved.

D

daz

Maybe that's because the Melbourne media would not even know who Sidey is, the only attention the Rebels get is when marquee players have missed behaved.

My point is that if a player is dropped or spanked for disciplinary reasons, print and tv media aside, social media/fan base would have picked this up.

I cannot recall any time that Sidey was dropped, fined or arse-kicked for doing the wrong thing, and certainly not repeatedly enough to be "let go".

If anyone else has a different understanding, by all means share it. But if someone is going to suggest he has been released because he was a problem child then I think that should be rightfully questioned as to where that information came from.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sure Sidey hangs with Weekes and Pyle, who are goofy but well liked foundation players, and not O'Connor/Beale, who I don't think are bad blokes but were probably too involved in Melbourne's night life where events and characters that can lead you astray are aplenty. I'd be pretty surprised if he was given the flick for discipline.

Maybe he got the flick because he's not a starting standard player (consistently) and he comes with a starting level salary? Or maybe he hasn't got the flick at all?

Reactions: daz

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe he got the flick because he's not a starting standard player (consistently) and he comes with a starting level salary? Or maybe he hasn't got the flick at all?

I heard he got the flick a few days before the signing of Tamati Ellison, Sidey had only signed a one year deal with the option of a second and the club decided not to keep him.

The end of the day Sidey was only ever going to be a average Super Rugby player and making room in the squad for the new coach to choose a few players that will suit his game plan is the better option.

T

Train Without a Station

I was just advised that by a staff member and a player. What they discussed related to training ethic.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Sidey would be pretty tight with JOC (James O'Connor) I imagine. At the Force, Rebels and West Harbour together.

D

daz

Confirmed by Sidey on twitter an hour ago. Moving back to Sydney to commit to law fulltime.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Folks, First post so please excuse any slips in protocol.
Unfortunately the only home game I couldn't attend was the Rebels vs Highlanders in Rd 20 on 12/07/13.

Does anyone have a copy of this game in HD that they could share.
Many thanks.

The full match is up on YouTube in HD. Was able to see all the wins again...and again...and again :)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Confirmed by Sidey on twitter an hour ago. Moving back to Sydney to commit to law fulltime.

Looks like he has a busy side gig making hats under RJ street wear.

Think the theme of discussion is correct; OK starting player but not brilliant, new coach wanting his own cattle, no news of any off-field misdemeanor so assume he's done nothing wrong. It's a professional game, so business decisions are made on the roster.

Good luck to Rory for the law degree - bloody big course to complete.

Reactions: daz

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sidey would be pretty tight with JOC (James O'Connor) I imagine. At the Force, Rebels and West Harbour together.

Sidey's been at West Harbour for quite a while, his alma mater (Trinity at Summer Hill) is a traditional catchment school for WH. Rory played for the Pirates before he left for Perth and the WF some five years ago. JOC (James O'Connor), on the other hand, appeared at WH only recently.

A tenuous connection at best, Zander.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would seem that if Situati is gone, then Veainu is a replacement for him much like Ellison would be a replacement for Sidey.
in the rebels media release on the ITM on 23rd, the implication is that sitauti is still at the rebels, as it talks about "current and future" players.
and welcome back blues recovery

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Sidey's been at West Harbour for quite a while, his alma mater (Trinity at Summer Hill) is a traditional catchment school for WH. Rory played for the Pirates before he left for Perth and the WF some five years ago. JOC (James O'Connor), on the other hand, appeared at WH only recently.

A tenuous connection at best, Zander.

Thanks for a history lesson but I already knew all that.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
in the rebels media release on the ITM on 23rd, the implication is that sitauti is still at the rebels, as it talks about "current and future" players.
and welcome back blues recovery

Good point, but having worked in media departments here and there often one hand doesn't know what the other is doing (media/operations).

Either way, Situati is a good bloke and is generally a nice humble man with potential. I'd hate to see him running around in France/Japan for the rest of his career, particular when Oz 7s closed off the Tonga option for him (a real disadvantage of 7s for mine).

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Hello All,

Another first-time poster here. I've been lurking the forums for quite some time, finally I've gotten around to registering. I'm a Rebel's member and go to every home game.

I notice that on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2013–14_Super_Rugby_transfers#Rebels , they list both Sidey and Sitauti as confirmed for 2014 (as of 5th Sept). Saffy is noted as "released" and no mention of Dyer at all.

That page seems to have been pretty accurate up until now?

Status
Not open for further replies.