• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
you guys are dreaming if you think higgers is anything like Read. This debate in choosing between higgers and mccalman is done and dusted. Everyone else bar a one eyed rebel supporter can see why higgers isn't a first or second choice loose forward in mckenzies eyes.

T

Train Without a Station

you guys are dreaming if you think higgers is anything like Read. This debate in choosing between higgers and mccalman is done and dusted. Everyone else bar a one eyed rebel supporter can see why higgers isn't a first or second choice loose forward in mckenzies eyes.

I was almost going to like your post, but then there are other factors to consider.

On talent, Higgers has the potential to be the best 8 in Australia. That needs to, and likely is, considered. On pure talent and ability he blows big dog out of the water.

The question for Link becomes, is big dog's form so good that or does he back himself to get the best out of Higgers talent.

He has the ability to be our Read. The question is whether he can consistently shown in.

Link is a shrewd man. He knows there's more than just picking who is performing best, and who looks best. He mentioned other data in his podcast which they are privy too, plus there is factors like Kurindrani where he sees they fit what he needs and despite other players (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) playing better he has made the call that to get where we need to be, thats we he needs and he needs to get the best out of that player.

Besides, if Higgers played for the Force you guys would be circle jerking over him just as hard as you do for Matt Hodgson.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Confirmed
Cruze Ah-Nau, Prop
Laurie Weeks, Prop
Toby Smith, Prop
Max Lahiff, Prop
Paul Alo-Emile, Prop
Tom Sexton, Hooker
Pat Leafa, Hooker
Cadeyrn Neville, Lock
Sam Jeffries, Lock
Steve Cummins, Lock
Luke Jones, Lock
Sean McMahon, Flanker
Scott Fuglistaller, Flanker
Jordy Reid, Flanker
Colby Fainga'a, Flanker
Scott Higginbotham, No. 8
Lopeti Timani, No. 8
Nic Stirzaker, Scrumhalf
Luke Burgess, Scrumhalf
Ben Meehan, Scrumhalf
Jack Debreczeni, Flyhalf
Bryce Hegarty, Flyhalf
Tom English, Centre
Tamati Ellison, Centre
Mitch Inman, Centre
Mike Harris, Centre
Tom Kingston, Wing
Cam Crawford, Wing
Dom Shipperly, Wing
Telusa Veainu, Wing
Jonah Placid, Fullback

Unsure of status
Shota Horie, Hooker
Male Sau, Centre

Exiting
Eddie Aholelei, Prop
Chris Thomson, Lock
Hugh Pyle, Lock
Angus Roberts, Flyhalf
Lalakai Foketi, Centre
Lachlan Mitchell, Centre
Alex Rokobaro, Fullback
Jason Woodward, Fullback

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This season's dead in the water. I'm not going to judge either Tony or the Players more than I currently have.

But next year is his squad. His Staff. His regime over the pre-season.

Assuming an even split of home/away games, I'm wanting 5 wins in the first 8 weeks.

T

TOCC

I dont think the debate is done and dusted by any means, form come and goes, McCalman is currently in form and Higgers isn't, it won't take much for Higgers to push his way back into consideration.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
I was almost going to like your post, but then there are other factors to consider.

On talent, Higgers has the potential to be the best 8 in Australia. That needs to, and likely is, considered. On pure talent and ability he blows big dog out of the water.

The question for Link becomes, is big dog's form so good that or does he back himself to get the best out of Higgers talent.

He has the ability to be our Read. The question is whether he can consistently shown in.

Link is a shrewd man. He knows there's more than just picking who is performing best, and who looks best. He mentioned other data in his podcast which they are privy too, plus there is factors like Kurindrani where he sees they fit what he needs and despite other players (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)) playing better he has made the call that to get where we need to be, thats we he needs and he needs to get the best out of that player.

Besides, if Higgers played for the Force you guys would be circle jerking over him just as hard as you do for Matt Hodgson.

Higgers is no where near read. read has a huge upside and workrate off the ball. higgers doesnt do the extra one percenters read does. instead of packing his bags and threatening to leave how about just improve his game so selectors would find it hard to ignore him.
If higgers played for the force and form warranted his selection then for sure. we didnt push big macs wallabies case when he was carrying injuries and out of form when there players in better form at the time. As far as hodgo goes he is unfortunate to be behind that other guy.

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
I dont think the debate is done and dusted by any means, form come and goes, McCalman is currently in form and Higgers isn't, it won't take much for Higgers to push his way back into consideration.

Definitely. he needs to seek feedback from link on what he needs to do to improve and warrant selection.....not send pseudo signals via the media about leaving to europe if he cant get a gig....what a homo if true.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
McCalman, Palu and Fardy are at this stage, the deserving options at 6, 8 and Reserve Flanker. There's not really any questions about that.

But with injury, others leaving, form, and other factors, Higgers is probably 1st drop, unless Jones is to be shifted to Blindside.

T

Train Without a Station

Higgers is no where near read. read has a huge upside and workrate off the ball. higgers doesnt do the extra one percenters read does. instead of packing his bags and threatening to leave how about just improve his game so selectors would find it hard to ignore him.
If higgers played for the force and form warranted his selection then for sure. we didnt push big macs wallabies case when he was carrying injuries and out of form when there players in better form at the time. As far as hodgo goes he is unfortunate to be behind that other guy.

Mate you've just completely ignored what I said. I never said he does the off the ball work and one percenters. Hence why he only has the ability to be equal.

But as my point noted, it's not talent that will stop him.

T

Train Without a Station

Mitchell is a great player to have in the team.

Excellent trainer - top of pre-season fitness testing.
Utility value.
Always performs well where he fills in, in an AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) type of way.
Good team man.
Wants to actually be there.
Most importantly, doesn't command a high contract.

Short-sighted decision by the Rebels not to offer Mitchell a new contract. Injuries are inevitable and a player that can play throughout the backline and will consistently slot in wherever required and offer a quality performance and never be outplayed is invaluable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I see some similarities between the way Higgers is playing and Rob Simmons 12 or so months ago. He's struggling to have impact on the field and that is manifesting itself in silly penalties and mistakes. You can tell how frustrated he is.

No doubt Higgers will get back towards his best form but he's a long way off it right now. He isn't really challenging McCalman right now but it's hard to see him dropping any further down the pecking order because he has the experience and the talent (and there aren't really other options).

If Fardy got injured I wouldn't be surprised if he slotted straight in to 6. Really hard to know what the pecking order is there out of Jones, McCalman and Higgers.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
In Mitchell's farewell interview he said "I don't want to keep playing for the sake of it or keep playing at a Club I wasn't passionate about," "If there was a team I was particularly interested in playing for I'd consider it"

Doesn't that sum up the change in culture since McGahan has taken over!
Lockie has been a great ambassador for the Rebels but he is another one out of favour with our fabulous coach! I suspect he is not the only player disillusioned with the way the club is being (mis)managed!

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Can't say I'm as devastated about losing Mitchell as some of you. I'm sure that he was a good club man, hard trainer, all around good bloke etc. But he just wasn't that good a rugby player. Positionally suspect on defence, not a great tackler, fairly ineffectual going forwards. He was versatile, but still not great in any one position. At wing I don't think he's as good as any of Crawford, English, Kingston, Veainu or Shipperly. At 12 he'd be behind Inman, Harris and Ellison. At 13 he'd be behind Ellison, Inman, English and Kingston. Professional sport is shit like this sometimes, it always sucks to lose a club favourite, but it doesn't mean it was the wrong decision.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
In Mitchell's farewell interview he said "I don't want to keep playing for the sake of it or keep playing at a Club I wasn't passionate about," "If there was a team I was particularly interested in playing for I'd consider it"

Doesn't that sum up the change in culture since McGahan has taken over!
Lockie has been a great ambassador for the Rebels but he is another one out of favour with our fabulous coach! I suspect he is not the only player disillusioned with the way the club is being (mis)managed!

I guess you could read it that way - it certainly fits with the dissatisfaction in TT that's expressed around GAGR.

Maybe he's keen to travel, finish a degree and live life like his non-rugby mates. He seemed to me to be someone who was blessed to play professional sport, but also equipped to succeed in 'normal' life upon retirement.

One by one the originals keep dropping off. Weeks for captain!

T

Train Without a Station

Dumbledore I agree he's not that good, but I'd strongly disagree he is suspect on defence or a poor tackler. The contact aspect's were the strength of his game. He unfortunately wasn't quite quick enough or skilled enough to be a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.