• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

No probs lads. I was only prepared to go to a certain level for that eye-sore of a jumper.

And whoever ended up getting it seemed to want it pretty badly, so good on them!

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Great to see Shota re-sign for one more year. With Sexton back next year we have real depth at 2.

I won't speculate on a starting team though. I have given up trying to figure out Tony's motives

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
No probs lads. I was only prepared to go to a certain level for that eye-sore of a jumper.

And whoever ended up getting it seemed to want it pretty badly, so good on them!
I think the designers saw how bad the looked on the field and wanted to get as many of them out of circulation as possible.

I could not even watch a reply of the game, but that may not have been entirely because of the jumpers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know how long McGahan's contract is for?

Presumably he got the Rebels job because Link didn't want him as a Wallabies assistant coach but he was still under contract.

When the ARU had to take control of the Rebels they installed him as coach which is quite understandable if he was already under contract.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)

Presumably he got the Rebels job because Link didn't want him as a Wallabies assistant coach but he was still under contract.

When the ARU had to take control of the Rebels they installed him as coach which is quite understandable if he was already under contract.

http://www.melbournerebels.com.au/team/tony-mcgahan

Another Shitful year of Tony. Love the quote from the article. "and began work straight away as the Club searches for it's maiden Super Rugby finals appearance.".. Can't see us doing that with Tony in charge.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Great to see Shota re-sign for one more year. With Sexton back next year we have real depth at 2.

I won't speculate on a starting team though. I have given up trying to figure out Tony's motives

I found Tony's quote on how Leafa and Shota have a a great battle for a starting spot rather strange. We seem to lose an awful lot of line outs on our throw when Leafa is on and Shota seems to be significantly better on the ground.

Also a bit sad about Lachie. I've never been a huge fan but thought that he had an improved start to the season. It is really disappointing that he is retiring from rugby as a good stint in the NRC could see him with a Super gig in the near future.

That said, I find it a bit strange that most teams will have filled in their roster before the NRC even starts. If an unsigned has a breakout season in the NRC who will have room to sign them for the next season of Super Rugby?

D

daz

The political/commercial part aside, nearly every re-signing we have had this year has the player saying how much they enjoy the coaching and development under Tony at the club.

Given he is a pretty hard task master, there must be something there for players to want to play for him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That said, I find it a bit strange that most teams will have filled in their roster before the NRC even starts. If an unsigned has a breakout season in the NRC who will have room to sign them for the next season of Super Rugby?

EPS spots should still be up for grabs at that stage which is essentially where breakout players in the NRC will be looking for spots anyway.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If the count is correct at this point in time, we have 32 of 36 players, with either an International spot or another Japanese Spot which we can fill.

Male Sau is the only player who has been neither confirmed as staying or going, based in what contracts we are aware of.

Current make-up is:

Hookers
Tom Sexton
Pat Leafa
Shota Horie

Props
Paul Alo-Emile
Cruze Ah-Nau
Max Lahiff
Toby Smith
Laurie Weeks

Locks
Luke Jones
Caydern Neville
Sam Jeffries
Steve Cummins

Back Rowers
Sean McMahon
Scott Higgenbotham
Lopeti Timani
Jordy Reid
Colby Faainga'a
Scott Fuglistaller

Scrum Halves
Luke Burgess
Ben Meehan
Nic Stirzacker

Fly Halfs
Bryce Hegarty
Jack Debreczeni

Centers
Tamati Ellison
Tom English
Mitch Inman
Mike Harris

Wings
Tom Kingston
Dom Shipperly
Telusa Veainu

Fullbacks
Cam Crawford
Jonah Placid

Based on that list, I'd like another Fly-half, a prop, and a Lock.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is PAE definitely staying on? His contract is up this year and haven't seen anything about him staying on. It would be a real shame to lose him, as we all know good tight heads are rare and he's a future wallaby for sure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is his contract actually up? I've seen a number of reports saying "until 2015" which seems vague.

I've not seen much speculation on him beyond G&GR, which makes me uncertain about that.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Given he is a pretty hard task master, there must be something there for players to want to play for him.

I'm not anti-TT but whether it was in writing or on screen the quote was written by someone else. Obviously the player has to approve the quote, but remember these guys are speaking about their employer (who just rehired them for a rate they consider fair) and that employer is the one distributing that particular piece of media.

In fact, unless it's an interview post or pre game I think most athletes are told exactly what to say.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
nearly every re-signing we have had this year has the player saying how much they enjoy the coaching and development under Tony at the club.

Couldn't say anything else if they want to get any game time with TT! I suspect he has his favourites and isn't all that popular with the rest of the group.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
TEAM | Smith Horie Weeks Pyle Jones Fainga'a Fuglistaller Higginbotham (C) Burgess Hegarty English Inman Ellison Kingston Debreczeni.

RES | Leafa Ah-Nau Alo-Emile Neville Reid Stirzaker Woodward Veainu.

I like the pack. Hopefully Debreczeni plays with a bit more zap than last week. Apart from his boot digging us out of our half he seemed to be playing at half speed.

Strong front row!

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Debreczeni was pretty uninspiring last week although according to reliable sources (the wife) he is cute.

And I see we are moving on from Woodward

Status
Not open for further replies.