• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
One thing i was pleased to see was the absence of Sefanaia Naivalu's name from the Fiji RWC team. Much as I'd like to see the guy earn higher honours, I'd like to see him do that in gold. Injury might have hampered any call-up.

T

Train Without a Station

Actually think I've read he aspires to play for the wallabies

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
He wouldn't make the Fijian world cup squad. They have a ridiculous amount of excellent wingers playing around the world.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's got enough talent to be there, but a dozen professional games and 3 months out with injury wouldn't have got him a look in even if he wanted it.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Same with Ben Volavola, only played about 8 games for the 'tahs but he is in the squad. All saying anything can happen, irrespective of your expirence.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Stuff like halves and front row are different though, especially for the Pasifika nations. Big Back rowers can play lock, and big wingers can play center, but those 5 positions are a bit more key to bring in, given the style/type of player that's typically developed by them

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Any news on Tim Metcher? Sounded like he limped off with a bung knee on the weekend. Shame to lose a front rower early on.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any news on Tim Metcher? Sounded like he limped off with a bung knee on the weekend. Shame to lose a front rower early on.

he was stretchered off with what was possibly a jaw injury? Took a bit hit trying to tackle Radike.

Haven't heard the outcome.

Reactions: Tex

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Telusa Veainu has been named in Tongan Rugby World Cup squad. Well done Telusa.

(I know he is not a 2016 Rebel but thought it made more sense to put it in this thread than resurrect Rebels 2015).
I'm still unhappy about how badly he was used. Hopefully he gets his chance in the WC and lights things up.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
he was stretchered off with what was possibly a jaw injury? Took a bit hit trying to tackle Radike.

Haven't heard the outcome.

Ahhk ok. Jaw is better than knee, I guess. I half-followed the match via twitter and the first report was that it was a leg-elbow.

I'm still unhappy about how badly he was used. Hopefully he gets his chance in the WC and lights things up.

Yep, wasted natural talent. English played some excellent footy in 2013 but he was pretty lackluster last year. I know I don't have any insight into club dynamics, but i'm still scratching my head sometimes at why some blokes get nine lives, while others are cut after one shaky performance.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Maddening. It was a deeply lacklustre back-three last year, brightened up by Sefa before he broke. If there was something going on behind the scenes we'd probably have to hear it from someone like daz, but then if he knew he'd likely not be able to say. Going to remain one of those mysteries I guess.

The backline needs to take a big step next year, chasing the step the forwards took this year. Just not going to seriously compete for finals until more than 20 points a match are being scored.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
he was initially hobbling away after the tackle, but when stretchered off he was in a neck brace. possibly wobbly on feet because of concussion ? I don't know but it didn't look like a knockout/head injury to me initially, more like an ankle, knee, bad cork !

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so on the Rising thread a tweet/instagram/facepalm thingy about Tim Metcher and his injury. surgery to repair torn hamstring "a la" James Horwill.
this is a BIG problem for the Rebels. PAE gone and Metcher unlikely to be ready for Super football just leaves Weeks as a tighthead with any super experience. i assume Hagan will be up to the task but the last UK/Irish based prop the Rebels recruited didn't turn out so well !

Status
Not open for further replies.