• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
last year the Rebels really had a very good run with injuries (Sefa aside), so in the way these things even themselves out, they may not be so lucky this year. it's good to have that extra bit of depth/experience available now.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Timani in the long term should really bee looked at as a no.8. His physique is never going to make him a perfect lock but he pretty much fits the exact bill for the job and has improved his handling significantly. Now that the rebs have Retallick, Cummins and Jeffries as viable 2nd choice locks (behind Jones). a brutally physical Rebels back 5 could involve
4.Jones
5.Jeffries/Retallick
6.Thompson
7. McMahon (Reid)
8.Timani
The Rebels are a bit spoilt for choice as far as Flankers go, but I think if Timani is going to have any sort of International future it will be hotly contesting the No.8 spot with Ita Vaea. I'd like to see it tested at the rebels at least.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Timani in the long term should really bee looked at as a no.8. His physique is never going to make him a perfect lock but he pretty much fits the exact bill for the job and has improved his handling significantly. Now that the rebs have Retallick, Cummins and Jeffries as viable 2nd choice locks (behind Jones). a brutally physical Rebels back 5 could involve
4.Jones
5.Jeffries/Retallick
6.Thompson
7. McMahon (Reid)
8.Timani
The Rebels are a bit spoilt for choice as far as Flankers go, but I think if Timani is going to have any sort of International future it will be hotly contesting the No.8 spot with Ita Vaea. I'd like to see it tested at the rebels at least.

Agreed. Lack of Super Rugby-ready locks at the Rebels will cost LT as he will be deployed in the 2nd row again, actually stifling his claims to a Wallaby call up.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Agreed. Lack of Super Rugby-ready locks at the Rebels will cost LT as he will be deployed in the 2nd row again, actually stifling his claims to a Wallaby call up.
+1 to this. Locks are a weak or for us. I see Jones as a 6 and Timani as an 8. We care a bit short at centre too as we found when we lost Ellison last year.

The Squad could shave off a few 7s. They have all shown that they can compete at soup level and a few dominate it at times but do we really need all of them?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Just on Timani, I'm again going to be a bit of a contrarian. Look at any of the top modern 8s going around - Read, Vermuelen, Vito, Fernandez-Lobbe etc. Timani doesn't resemble them at all. They're long and rangy, good carriers, good in the lineout, good ball players, and they do a lot of work out wide. Vermuelen is probably the biggest thumper of the lot, but he still moves incredibly well.

If he's going to be moved into the backrow, I suspect it'll be at 6 where he can play a see-man hit-man sort of role. A Timani-McMahon-Thomson backrow has a bit about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Just on Timani, I'm again going to be a bit of a contrarian. Look at any of the top modern 8s going around - Read, Vermuelen, Vito, Fernandez-Lobbe etc. Timani doesn't resemble them at all. They're long and rangy, good carriers, good in the lineout, good ball players, and they do a lot of work out wide. Vermuelen is probably the biggest thumper of the lot, but he still moves incredibly well.
*snip
Sounds like you're describing Higgers ;)

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sounds like you're describing Higgers ;)
Ayyyy. Truly though, he was absolutely immense that first year he moved down to Melbourne. Was the best 8 in the competition before Beau Robinson busted his shoulder. Just never able to put it together at Test level. Everything you could possibly ask for physically though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If he's going to be moved into the backrow, I suspect it'll be at 6 where he can play a see-man hit-man sort of role. A Timani-McMahon-Thomson backrow has a bit about it.

I've always said 6 is his best position long term. I see him as a similar player to Messam.

I also agree on that backrow for the Rebels, McMahon's future is at 7.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reaaally want Timani to do well. Need a Palu style player to be involved in aus rugby as an option. Very skin deep approach but Timani looks like he should be doing more damage then Vaea.

See Timani more like a Manoa, Kaino, Alberts, Vunipola.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Looking at the official team photo from the Rebels, Harris and Stirzaker are sat next to Tony. Chances are one of those is going to be the captain.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Hot tip. If it's Stirzaker it won't change a single thing about his petulant tantrums.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
To an extent, but you can't have your captain shitting down the throat of referees - halfback or otherwise.

Sir Ritchie GOAT has given the blueprint for referee management and Stirzaker, who will be a Wallaby this year, would do well to read it, captain or otherwise.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Hot tip. If it's Stirzaker it won't change a single thing about his petulant tantrums.

Remember that a young Mr Higgers was a bit of a yellow card magnet back when he started with the Rebels. Fast forward two seasons and he was much more settled. Having the (c) after your name on the team sheet can have a calming effect.

Wait and see I guess.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Ayyyy. Truly though, he was absolutely immense that first year he moved down to Melbourne. Was the best 8 in the competition before Beau Robinson busted his shoulder. Just never able to put it together at Test level. Everything you could possibly ask for physically though.

Besides the shoulder injury, in 2014 I thought both Higgers and Pyle were stifled by TT's demands for a tighter game plan. Didn't really suit their style.

Status
Not open for further replies.