• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Really has nothing to do with the Lions. It is the same format that Super Rugby has had at least for years but probably since its inception. Thankfully, World Rugby has had the sense to move the mid-year test window to July, but I think it doesn't kick in until after the 2019 RWC.

2016, 14, and 13 all had 3 rounds post-test window. 2015 was a WC year, so was an exception.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yes, the Rebels played the Highlanders in that classic comeback match at AAMI Park on 12/07/13. Just the one round for Aussie post-Lions tour.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Memories.

Oh Bryce Hegarty in a Rebels jersey. A damn shame we let him go. Debreczeni's performance was better when he had Hegarty putting pressure on him.

Some of our best players in that team too, Gareth Delve, Jason Woodward, Cooper Vuna, Paul Alo-Emile.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So, are any of you collective Melbourne types up for a Beer either before or after the game? The Sporting Globe and the London Tavern have been suggested. Basic requirements: Beer and the Lions v 'Saders on a big screen.

Who's in?

B

BLR

OK, I admit it. I'm pissed off that there are no Rebels named to start in the Melbourne test match.

I was reluctant to fork out for a ticket anyway, now I'm almost regretting it.

:mad:

Why would they? Look at the Rebels season, it isn't good enough for a national team and this isn't the movie 'Rudy'.

The Force have dealt with this for years, the stigma of being an expansion team and not being very good has hampered many an international career.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
They are picking individuals on performance not teams. That said, it is much harder to get international call-ups if your teams is performing poorly.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Why would they? Look at the Rebels season, it isn't good enough for a national team and this isn't the movie 'Rudy'.

The Force have dealt with this for years, the stigma of being an expansion team and not being very good has hampered many an international career.

Except it is Fiji. Typically we select a slightly weaker team to give opportunities to developing players. You could easily make a case for one of Timani, Smith or Hodge to be in the starting line up.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Except it is Fiji. Typically we select a slightly weaker team to give opportunities to developing players. You could easily make a case for one of Timani, Smith or Hodge to be in the starting line up.

Other than Toby Smith for Robinson, i honestly don't think any of them could feel hard done by, at a pinch Hodge for Hunt purely because he's played 12 for the Wallabies before but even that's hard to question.

Has the bench been named yet? I suspect we will see a few here.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Other than Toby Smith for Robinson, i honestly don't think any of them could feel hard done by, at a pinch Hodge for Hunt purely because he's played 12 for the Wallabies before but even that's hard to question.

Has the bench been named yet? I suspect we will see a few here.

Smith and Hodge are the Rebels on the bench.

Moore, Smith, Kepu, Arnold, Hardwick, Powell, Cooper, Hodge.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
16. Stephen Moore (117 Tests)
17. Toby Smith (4 Tests)
18. Sekope Kepu (77 Tests)
19. Rory Arnold (9 Tests)
20. Richard Hardwick*
21. Joe Powell*
22. Quade Cooper (67 Tests)
23. Reece Hodge (10 Tests)

B

BLR

They are picking individuals on performance not teams. That said, it is much harder to get international call-ups if your teams is performing poorly.

I get that, but that isn't reality. Look at the amount of Waratahs & Queensland players in the past that have been picked when there has been superior players for the expansion teams. Hell, Palu was the first man on the team sheet but was an absolute powder puff in internationals.

There is a stigma there and even if the Force/Rebels went on a 10 year dynasty run we would probably find inferior players from QLD/NSW sneaking into the Wallabies, it is what it is.

Reactions: Tex

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I get that, but that isn't reality. Look at the amount of Waratahs & Queensland players in the past that have been picked when there has been superior players for the expansion teams. Hell, Palu was the first man on the team sheet but was an absolute powder puff in internationals.

There is a stigma there and even if the Force/Rebels went on a 10 year dynasty run we would probably find inferior players from QLD/NSW sneaking into the Wallabies, it is what it is.
Oh, yes. That is an uphill battle for us to win. You have to wonder if they ignored team and went for performance, maybe the Wallabies could be champions. Maybe.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So, we've launched legal action?

Given Sydney legal sources say the Rebels have filed for damages measured in the millions against the national body — the first stage of which involves arbitration — the ARU would be wary of further prodding the Melbourne club.

According to Rebels insiders, the club believes the ARU has mounted a virtual constructive dismissal campaign against it by undermining its financial viability and then questioning its solvency.

It also is questioning the goodwill of the ARU in selling the Melbourne licence to the Imperium Group in 2015, assuring the company that they fully supported the venture. Yet ARU chairman Cameron Clyne recently said almost from the moment Australia launched its fifth Super Rugby team in 2011 he and the board had grave doubts about its viability.

The club says it will pursue the ARU for damages caused by the ongoing campaign — so far not disavowed by any ARU officials — to remove it from the competition, saying that players, staff, coaches and executives have been put through mental hell while the process has been pursued.

And, we're not in favour of an ARU board cull and are fans of the cut from 5 to 4 teams (provided it's not us that's culled).

Ironically, the Rebels club is not supporting the initiative of the Victorian Rugby Union, which has the backing of the Rugby Union Players Association, to call an emergency general meeting of the ARU on June 20. In a worst-case scenario, if the VRU is unhappy with the ARU explanation of how it has conducted its process of culling a team, it could move a motion of no-confidence in Cameron and the board.

Yet according to a club spokesman, the Rebels are standing by the ARU, believing that its argument that Australia cannot sustain five Super Rugby teams is correct, provided the Rebels are not the team cut.

“We’re big fans of the move to go from five teams to four,” the spokesman said.]

So, where do we start with this one...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...s/news-story/9792868bdf56ebb698a2292feedda5bc

Status
Not open for further replies.