• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The majority of the $13 million debt was incurred once the ARU took over the running of the franchise, and I would argue the Rebels were given a far greater chance for success than the Force, but we didn't bleed $13 million.

I don't see why the Rebels constantly must get special treatment.

Because it makes more sense to maintain a foothold and presence in the soon-to-be largest metropolis on the continent.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Because it makes more sense to maintain a foothold and presence in the soon-to-be largest metropolis on the continent.

It really doesn't. The Melbourne storm can't even compete over there and they are the best leauge side ever. Further more of the force go they would pretty much replace the rebels anyway. I can't pick many rebels in the force squad.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
OK, just so you know, I've spent the last few months refusing to shit-can the Force as a means of survival, but it has become very apparent the directive out of Force Central is to do anything and everything to criticise Rugby in Victoria as a way of making themselves look good.

Bugger being "the better person". The gloves are off!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK, just so you know, I've spent the last few months refusing to shit-can the Force as a means of survival, but it has become very apparent the directive out of Force Central is to do anything and everything to criticise Rugby in Victoria as a way of making themselves look good.

Bugger being "the better person". The gloves are off!
Agreed. Also, everything Shiggins says in the above post is incorrect or irrelevant.

The Storm get excellent crowd numbers (3rd highest in the league I believe) and seeing as the Rebels have been better than the Force for the majority of their short history, it's very convenient to fix the sample side to the 2017 season. The decision will not be made based on this.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is there any rugby league in Melbourne, besides the Storm?

There was not 5 years ago, but it's really taking off with someone somewhere giving out plenty of cheques. At least one new junior club opens every year.

Still not anywhere near as big as union in seniors, but probably better in juniors with more development officers.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
About 13 teams at senior level I believe.
There was not 5 years ago, but it's really taking off with someone somewhere giving out plenty of cheques. At least one new junior club opens every year.

Still not anywhere near as big as union in seniors, but probably better in juniors with more development officers.
Well I'll be damned... I had no idea they had any kind of presence in Vic.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Apparently quite a few of the Southern boys are being targeted as well :(

Draw a 30 minute circumference around the CBD. There's no league there.

But that'll be the issue won't it.

Places well outside the CBD is where a lot of youngsters, and profiling aside, a lot of PI youngster's are based. Losing them is not ideal for Melbourne Rugby.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently quite a few of the Southern boys are being targeted as well :(

But that'll be the issue won't it.

Places well outside the CBD is where a lot of youngsters, and profiling aside, a lot of PI youngster's are based. Losing them is not ideal for Melbourne Rugby.

Agreed, but the good junior rugby union clubs are there too.

The real issue is the talent drain post Under 18s, basically the good club kids that don't make the Rebels 20s seem to be MOSTLY ending up in league.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Agreed, but the good junior rugby union clubs are there too.

The real issue is the talent drain post Under 18s, basically the good club kids that don't make the Rebels 20s seem to be MOSTLY ending up in league.
I know a lot of Powerhouse juniors would play league for the Altona Roosters as well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
it has always been thus, when i played Dewar Shield in the 70's, many also played league on Sunday, especially the NZ boys of Maori or islander extraction

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
it has always been thus, when i played Dewar Shield in the 70's, many also played league on Sunday, especially the NZ boys of Maori or islander extraction

The Sunday thing changed a fair while ago. Now many do the same with gridiron.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It really doesn't. The Melbourne storm can't even compete over there and they are the best leauge side ever. Further more of the force go they would pretty much replace the rebels anyway. I can't pick many rebels in the force squad.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Hey mate. Thanks for replying.

Maybe take this argument to another thread? We've got a coach sacking to celebrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.