• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Your

Fuck knows
but your first paragraph looks pretty good

What we sort of expected anyway. couldn't see any of the Reds scrummies giving up their spot for Genia, and he needs an OZ home. Guess they are waiting for the arbitration outcome to makeannouncementment.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What we sort of expected anyway. couldn't see any of the Reds scrummies giving up their spot for Genia, and he needs an OZ home. Guess they are waiting for the arbitration outcome to makeannouncementment.
Oh, FFS, I wish they would just decide already!

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
this business has a long long way to run yet. i'm not confident we will be a bunch of happy campers at the end.
That's why I would prefer to know now, rather than wait anothe 100 days.

I don't want our team dropped, but if we are to be, I don't want it prolonged any further.

D

daz

If the Force win arbitration, or lose arbitration but then appeal, then by virtue of time-frames alone there simply has to be 16 teams (5 x Oz) next year.

The appeal will likely take months, and SANZAAR needs to sort out 2018 schedules, grounds, hotels, flights, etc, etc.

My point is this; if we go into 2018 with 5 teams, how are we (Rebels) going to be even close to competitive? Half our team have moved on, and that means we will be bulking up the squad with unsigned journeyman OS players and Shute/Dewar players.

D

daz

My understanding is going to appeal is much harder with arbitration. So appeal is not a given.

If it comes down to who has the better resources to fight that battle, I'd be looking at Twiggy's pockets and Clyne's pockets to see which are deeper.

Even if the ARU win arbitration in a canter, if I was Twiggy, I'd be appealing just out of sheer spite and bloody-mindedness!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
My understanding is going to appeal is much harder with arbitration. So appeal is not a given.

Yes, you need to appeal on a specific error in how the law was applied in the case, not just a "we don't like the response you gave us". A bit like trying to argue on the vibe of the issue".

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
If it comes down to who has the better resources to fight that battle, I'd be looking at Twiggy's pockets and Clyne's pockets to see which are deeper.

Even if the ARU win arbitration in a canter, if I was Twiggy, I'd be appealing just out of sheer spite and bloody-mindedness!

Wouldn't rule out the broadcasters getting involved, as they need to protect their investment. Twiggy vs Rupert, now THAT would be a deep-pocket battle.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes, you need to appeal on a specific error in how the law was applied in the case, not just a "we don't like the response you gave us". A bit like trying to argue on the vibe of the issue".

yes but I don't think that would be too hard if the argument is specifically about whether this is the current or a new broadcast agreement.
When SANZAAR themselves have called it the current broadcast agreement it leaves little room for the ARU to claim otherwise and not have a large area of doubt in the decision if it were to go against the WF.
I'm not a lawyer or have much to do with the law other than my own issues over the years.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Wouldn't rule out the broadcasters getting involved, as they need to protect their investment. Twiggy vs Rupert, now THAT would be a deep-pocket battle.

Billionaires_camp_2.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

But the broadcasters have committed to their full obligations until 2020. Can't see that they would be financially compromised by the retention of 5 Aus franchises.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)

RWA went into the arbitration with the option to appeal the decision.
If RWA/WF loses, expect an appeal, as the alternative is for them all to pack up their shit and go home.

I think Daz is right and it'll have to end up with 5 Australian based teams next year. There just isn't enough time to work it all out if there is an appeal or if the ARU can't get the licence back from Imperium.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
But the broadcasters have committed to their full obligations until 2020. Can't see that they would be financially compromised by the retention of 5 Aus franchises.

The commitment part is not the problem; it's more focused on having a product for the broadcasters. If there is a dispute on what teams are included, and the competition is not sufficiently prepared in the time for round one, there is a risk the broadcast partners have nothing to broadcast. THat would concern them, as it would impact upon advertising revenue.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
RWA went into the arbitration with the option to appeal the decision.
If RWA/WF loses, expect an appeal, as the alternative is for them all to pack up their shit and go home.

*snip
I ain't no lawyer but I don't think that's the way arbitration works:

Limited right of Appeal. Court proceedings at first instance might be amenable to one or possibly two levels of appeal. Arbitration is final, subject to very limited rights of appeal. Under the CAA for example, an appeal can only be made on a question of law on very limited grounds if the parties 'opt in' and agree no later than three months from the making of the award to preserve appeal rights and obtain leave of the court.

http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/3...arbitration+regime+in+Australia+Five+years+on

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm in two minds about Genia.

One one hand, we could definitely use a player of his calibre. He might be just the bloke to bully our young forward pack into shape plus, he would be able to help bring on Goddard.

But, on the other hand, it's Genia.

Status
Not open for further replies.