• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Gents word is Force are the team to get the chop.

Serious and genuine commiserations to all their fans, what a bullshit situation.

Relieved is an understatement.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...p/news-story/ca4c6d13a93022cc45c43da44119dd8d
God the ARU can't get anything right, they are assigning players to clubs except Wallabies get to choose who they play for. Same rules should apply to all players, should go into a draft and clubs pick preference.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
God the ARU can't get anything right, they are assigning players to clubs except Wallabies get to choose who they play for. Same rules should apply to all players, should go into a draft and clubs pick preference.

How many Wallabies currently in the Force? 5?

stoff

Bill McLean (32)

It would actually be a really good chance to follow the lead of the AFL who seem to know something about expansion, and just bolster the Rebels, try and gift us a season or two around the top of the conference, and really build a strong foundation in Melbourne, knowing once that happens the ARU doesn't need to worry about ongoing upkeep. Reality is the best will be allocated to Sydney or Brisbane with scraps to us and the Brumbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am one of those. Was gutted when the 'Roys got booted, never transitioned to the Brisbane Lions.

Devil's advocate: at that point in 1996 merging with the Bears was the best option for the 'Roys

i.e. it was merge or die for Fitzroy at that point

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
It would actually be a really good chance to follow the lead of the AFL who seem to know something about expansion, and just bolster the Rebels, try and gift us a season or two around the top of the conference, and really build a strong foundation in Melbourne, knowing once that happens the ARU doesn't need to worry about ongoing upkeep. Reality is the best will be allocated to Sydney or Brisbane with scraps to us and the Brumbies.
Gee, grandma isn't dead yet but you're already going around the house pointing out what you want to take

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
55e6c2d8734f814e57e71d9aa929321b.jpg

Force are denying the report.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Now I'm not saying I want to see the Force culled, but the prospect of player distribution is an interesting talking point.

So, the questions needs to be asked -
What high level players would you take to be starters?
What young bucks that could be something would you take?

**This is just a fun talking point, I have no idea if the Force being culled or the ARU redistribution strategy will actually happen**

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Sorry but I find the discussion of which players get redistributed where to be completely tasteless.

A lot of the media reporting on this whole issue has been completely tasteless.

Actually, I'm still fuming from reading that rubbish article by Paul Cully a few weeks back about which Rebels "should" be playing for NSW or QLD. Err, they probably would have been if they had been signed by their home states - but they weren't.

If one team is to be chopped then those players with current contracts should go into a draft with the lowest placed remaining teams getting the first options - learn something from the AFL.

I'm still hoping the Saffas refuse to cut two teams and they're forced into going to a 3 x 6 conference system.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sorry but I find the discussion of which players get redistributed where to be completely tasteless.

A lot of the media reporting on this whole issue has been completely tasteless.

Actually, I'm still fuming from reading that rubbish article by Paul Cully a few weeks back about which Rebels "should" be playing for NSW or QLD. Err, they probably would have been if they had been signed by their home states - but they weren't.

If one team is to be chopped then those players with current contracts should go into a draft with the lowest placed remaining teams getting the first options - learn something from the AFL.

I'm still hoping the Saffas refuse to cut two teams and they're forced into going to a 3 x 6 conference system.
That Paul Cully article angered me too. Basically saying if the Rebels weren't around Hodge would have been playing for the Tahs. Really? How exactly? Expansion has given more opportunities in my opinion. Typical Sydney thinking.

I feel for the Force players, whether this is true or not. How must they feel over in NZ right now, due to play the Blues on the weekend?

I can't see Sth. Africa dropped 2 teams. They fought for a 6th, so can't see them rolling over and dropping 2. We can only hope...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Determined how, Mr W? At the particular time of any decision to cut a side? Or on performance over a period of time? If the former, atm it would mean one of the so called stronger state teams getting the benefit of early draft picks. In fact, it might mean that regardless given the way the Reds have performed in recent years. Yet they are widely acknowledged as having the strongest roster of any of the current Aus Super Rugby sides.

If the intention is the spread the talent more evenly, then I think the two remaining franchises out of the Force/Rebels/Brumbies should get the lions share, although I can see noses being put out of joint if the Brumbies are treated more favourably than the Reds/Tahs. It will just be another shit fight to further upset the apple cart that is Aus rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That Paul Cully article angered me too. Basically saying if the Rebels weren't around Hodge would have been playing for the Tahs. Really? How exactly? Expansion has given more opportunities in my opinion. Typical Sydney thinking.

I feel for the Force players, whether this is true or not. How must they feel over in NZ right now, due to play the Blues on the weekend?

I can't see Sth. Africa dropped 2 teams. They fought for a 6th, so can't see them rolling over and dropping 2. We can only hope.

Exactly. How many current stars playing with either the Rebels or Force would have had opportunities at the Reds/Tahs/Brumbies to make their mark?

Timani? Naivalu? Toby Smith? DHP? Coleman? Peni? Rona? etc? Having proved themselves, they will be in demand, but not all would have had that opportunity without the Rebels and Force.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The irony in all of this nonsense is that the two markets in Australia that are at least showing some growth are Melbourne and Perth. I know, small bases and all but any amount of growth is better than any amount of decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.