• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, his contract must be ending soonish and with Thor at Reds, Kepu at the Tahs, and Ala'alatoa at the Brumbies, we'd be a good chance.

Still, I think we could use locks more. The Brumbies have Enever out of the 23, and the Reds have Tui out of the 23. Both good players who're worth game time for different reasons. Sigh.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Pick up Swinton (NSW u20). Lee says he's a notta but hes a big lump of a lad and capable of playing 2nd row in Super Rugby (notta's are all the rage anyway these days at Super level).

He played against the Brumbies, in the 10s and I believe against the Highlanders for the Tahs in the trials.

He's stuck behind Skelton, Mumm, Hanigan and McCauley at the Tahs.

Worth a look at.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Before we even talk about new signings, I think we have to genuinely consider non-survival.

Ever since they were talking about dropping a team, only Hodge and Timani have extended their contracts, who are ARU players of interest.

Assuming the boys whose extensions were announced with the final squad article were all given 1 more year, the contracted team for next year looks like this:

1. ?
2. ?
3. Lomax
4. Toolis
5. Jeffries
6. Leota
7. Fainga'a
8. Timani
9. ?
10. Garden-Bachop
11. Koroibete
12. Hodge
13. English
14. Sefa
15. Maddocks

16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. McGregor
23. Tuipulotu

With the exceptions of JGB and Toolis, I think that all those remaining players would find a Super team willing to take over their contracts.

I really, really hope that it's just me being pessimistic, and we can start making signings like Enever, or LLT, or even a Jakey Gordon.

But until I see players like Inman, Cummins, Weeks, Leafa etc. Signing extensions, I think we're screwed.

T

TOCC

Jeez.. I know it was a bad loss versus the Blues but talking about 2018 already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The ARU are looking at ditching teams because money is tight, not because they believe it's best for the quality of the Wallabies (and it arguably would be).

I could be missing something, but aren't the Rebels owned by Imperium Sports Management? As such, why would the ARU ditch the Rebels?

More content = more exposure and more TV dollars.

The Force are owned by the ARU (and spiritually, by the public with their 'own the force' campaign). Even with the timezone falling nicely for TV viewing, surely getting rid of them or the Brumbies makes more sense?

Maybe a merging of the Rebels and the Brumbies - the Brumbies IP still has a lot of clout from the boom times. I don't know......... just musing.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pick up Swinton (NSW u20). Lee says he's a notta but hes a big lump of a lad and capable of playing 2nd row in Super Rugby (notta's are all the rage anyway these days at Super level).
He looks like a goer, but let the bloke play Aussie 20s.

I actually really like the look of James Brown. at 195cm-ish he's a touch short, but he's older at 28ish and has a good head on his shoulders.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The ARU are looking at ditching teams because money is tight, not because they believe it's best for the quality of the Wallabies (and it arguably would be).

I could be missing something, but aren't the Rebels owned by Imperium Sports Management? As such, why would the ARU ditch the Rebels?

More content = more exposure and more TV dollars.

The Force are owned by the ARU (and spiritually, by the public with their 'own the force' campaign). Even with the timezone falling nicely for TV viewing, surely getting rid of them or the Brumbies makes more sense?

Maybe a merging of the Rebels and the Brumbies - the Brumbies IP still has a lot of clout from the boom times. I don't know... just musing.

This is the key thing working in our ur favour; we're not a financial liability to the ARU, like the Force or Brumbies are.

Considering the ARU preso is Cameron Clyne, a man not know for running loss making ventures, he will take a very fiscal approach to this.

It's a LOT cheaper to run a comp when it's in your backyard. It's not cheap when you've got to make the odd flight to Japan, potentially Singers, SA or even Argieland.

If I read the tea leaves with my Aus goggles on, their plan A will be 5 teams, trans-Tasman and a PI team (and probably Japan). Plan B will be to cut one Aus team, but that relies on the SAffas doing the same thing. I don;t think you'll have any chance of forcing them to cut a team, so it will go move to a NZ/AUs/JPN conference, SA/Argie conference with possibly a euro team from Georgia or France.

BUT, we need to get some results on the board, otherwise all bets are off.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Jonah is absolutely useless under the high ball, but doesn't have the ability to play anywhere in the backline but in the back 3. Any team worth their salt realise this and target his wing. He's now in his 3rd season with us, and he has not improved in this aspect one iota, which is either a flaw with him, or a flaw with our coaching and development, and in either case, he needs to get out.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Jonah is absolutely useless under the high ball, but doesn't have the ability to play anywhere in the backline but in the back 3. Any team worth their salt realise this and target his wing. He's now in his 3rd season with us, and he has not improved in this aspect one iota, which is either a flaw with him, or a flaw with our coaching and development, and in either case, he needs to get out.

He's also had shithouse run with injuries. But, it seems he hasn't lived up to his potential.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The talk about Jonah is all the Rebels players think he's super talented but very lazy. I can't speak to the truth of it.

---

I honestly think Japan should just be a 5 team conference. The Sungoliath and Wild Knights would beat the Sunwolves, and in the Japanese Rugby Union's interested they don't cost a cent. Plus, Tribalism and all that jazz. 5 or so teams dominate that league anyway.

Run the current Top League as a Tier 2, or if you're attached to all the trophies and history of it, give the Trophy they give to the winner of Super conference.

I mean, the other teams get a shitty match or two a year, and one team that shouldn't make the finals does, but it's a small price. And hey, they did pretty well in the 10s.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
He's now in his 3rd season with us, and he has not improved in this aspect one iota, which is either a flaw with him, or a flaw with our coaching and development, and in either case, he needs to get out.
Which players have improved under McGahan?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
This is the key thing working in our ur favour; we're not a financial liability to the ARU, like the Force or Brumbies are.
You will recall the secret side deal between the ARU and Melbourne Rebels whereby ARU paid MR around $6 million over 5 years - a balloon structured payment plan that will end soon. This was a financial commitment of some measure which they were at pains to hide.
Cox has stated that he is no Harold Mitchell - presumably meaning that he was not going to fund a loss making venture.
Cox has a get out of debt card - he can just hand them back to the VRU when push comes to shove, and they will not have the financial clout and the ARU will be left to carry the financial liability again.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
You will recall the secret side deal between the ARU and Melbourne Rebels whereby ARU paid MR around $6 million over 5 years - a balloon structured payment plan that will end soon. This was a financial commitment of some measure which they were at pains to hide.
Cox has stated that he is no Harold Mitchell - presumably meaning that he was not going to fund a loss making venture.
Cox has a get out of debt card - he can just hand them back to the VRU when push comes to shove, and they will not have the financial clout and the ARU will be left to carry the financial liability again.
I've wondered for a while about the flip side of that. If the ARU wanted to shut them down, could they? As one of four in a better league it is likely his investment improves. It also removes the opportunity for Imperium to recover money it has already invested. I don't think ending the Rebels would be a cheap option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Four - wow, that many.
What about J Hagan, J Debreceni, C Nevile, T Kingston, S Higgenbotham, not to mention Beale, O Connor or L Jones - all had great potential, but have not always performed to expectation - is it the coach's job to get inside their heads and rev them up?
This list is not exhaustive btw another list of over trained soft tissue injuries should also hold the coaching staff to account.

Don't need to be an ass about it... you asked the question and I gave a few of the obvious ones, I'm sure the 4 I mentioned aren't an exhaustive list either

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think what's really important to remember here is a coach is never as bad or as good as fans think he is.

TT isn't a joke, he's been successful and respected across a number of levels, and has developed a heap of players (including at the Rebels).

Status
Not open for further replies.