• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
too much time pondering this, I know.. but the season preview :
-121 Point differential for Rebels in 2016 at season end

-103 Points differential for Rebels after Round 2
100 – The Melbourne Rebels scored their 100th Super Rugby try at AAMI Park when Dom Shipperley pounced on a grubber kick against the Hurricanes in Round 8, 2016.
74 – Prop Laurie Weeks surpasses Luke Jones 74 Rebels caps.
65 – the Rebels 65 point loss, 6-71 against the Hurricanes in their last meeting at Wellington was the largest losing margin against a New Zealand franchise in the their Super Rugby history
50 – Rebels captain Nic Stirzaker made his 50th Super Rugby game against the Blues, the seventh Rebel to notch the milestone after Hugh Pyle, Laurie Weeks, Luke Jones, Mitch Inman, Paul Alo-Emile and Tom English. Hooker Pat Leafa made his 50th Melbourne Rebels appearance against the Hurricanes. Lopeti Timani is set to play his 50th Super Rugby game at Westpac Stadium on Saturday.
42 – The highest number of points the Rebels have scored against the Hurricanes when the two sides met for the first time in Super Rugby in 2011. The Rebels claimed a 42-25 victory, their only victory over the Hurricanes.
38 – the Rebels 38 point loss, 18-56 against the Blues in their last meeting at AAMI Park was not the largest losing margin against a New Zealand franchise in their Super Rugby history
20 – The Rebels 20-point victory (44-22) over the Blues in their last meeting at AAMI Park is the club’s largest winning margin against a New Zealand franchise in their Super Rugby history. Unfortunately, the 56-18 loss in Round 1 38 point loss over rides this.
12 – The Rebels finished the 2016 season 12th
10 – The 2017 season opener was the Rebels 10th Super Rugby game in the February calendar month. The Rebels have won five and lost seven Super Rugby games in February.
6 – The Rebels and Blues have faced off in six Super Rugby games with the host winning on all but one occasion. The Blues have won the three meetings in Auckland while the Rebels have claimed just two head-to-head meetings in Melbourne.
5 – The Rebels have won their last four consecutive opening games of the Super Rugby season against Force (Rd 1, 2013), Cheetahs (Rd 3, 2014), Crusaders (Rd 1, 2015) and Force (Rd 1, 2016), however, 5 being an unlucky number saw the Rebels lose the opening game of 2017 against the Blues (Rd 1, 2017)
1 – In an away game the Rebels defeated a New Zealand team once (Crusaders Rd 1 2015)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Just poked my head into the Rebels FB page. So much anger. No one spared.

Think it's summarising how we all feel deep down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just poked my head into the Rebels FB page. So much anger. No one spared.

Think it's summarising how we all feel deep down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes i had a look last night. never seen so much activity after a game. really sad for Vic rugby which at a grassroots level probably hasn't been this strong since the 1930's. !

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
On a positive note, the Rebels U20s beat the Brumbies U20s 17-14. Some great defence from the young Rebs. The senior players should watch a replay and take notes.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Iv been a supporter of McGahan but it's time to go. He's either lost the players or he's taken them as far as he can. Throw some money at Ewan McKenzie, he's one of a few good coaches we have in the country, either him or Matty Taylor. It just can't be someone that involved in the current system

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Iv been a supporter of McGahan but it's time to go. He's either lost the players or he's taken them as far as he can. Throw some money at Ewan McKenzie, he's one of a few good coaches we have in the country, either him or Matty Taylor. It just can't be someone that involved in the current system

I still think Simon Cron would be more than worth a shot. The bloke has shown some serious nouse when it comes to coaching. His teams also play the game expansively with skill. He'd be a good buy for the Rebels imo. Also, cut JBG loose and bring Sam Greene back from Japan.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think people should cut JGB some slack. he's played 2 games of Super Rugby behind a pack that cant win any decent first phase ball in a team thats now conceded more than 120 points in two outings , i agree
his defence is poor but i think he has the making of a good 10.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Last year rumours were of a player vote no confidence in tony - this year supporters have voted no confidence in tony

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Last year rumours were of a player vote no confidence in tony - this year supporters have voted no confidence in tony

Considering that Dick Graham (allegedly) lost the dressing room in 2014................I wouldn't be surprised if TT lasted a little longer

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
i think people should cut JGB some slack. he's played 2 games of Super Rugby behind a pack that cant win any decent first phase ball in a team thats now conceded more than 120 points in two outings , i agree
his defence is poor but i think he has the making of a good 10.

He might develop. But frankly I don't see the value in him when we actually have a player of greater potential running around in Japan.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Growden lines the Rebels up and flicks the safety catch off.

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/_/id/18825366/worst-australia-ordinary-super-rugby-bunch

Worst thing is I agree with him, which is rare.

What a time for the team to turn to water; when the future of a franchise in the city is up for debate. To suggest the playing and coaching group are less invested than the local fans would be harsh, but the reality these days is that most would be able to secure contracts in Japan or Europe should the team fold, while we'd be left with a Wallabies test v Samoa/Italy/Scotland every second year.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
From The Australian:

The Melbourne Rebels owner is convinced Australia must retain five Super Rugby franchises but believes they must be allowed to recruit more foreign players — up to half their rosters, if necessary — to maintain their competitiveness.

Can't see that happening.

It also goes on to mention a review to be held following the big two losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.