• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Haters gonna hate. That's ok. Never Back Down, right?

If that translates into a fiercer Australian conference, with a genuine rivalry between ALL Oz conference clubs, rather than just the traditional blue v red clash, then that's gotta be a good thing - for public interest, bums on seats, national attention, sponsors, and cash.

We'll see. Early days, but so far, very impressed with the Rebels operational model and intent. but it's really all up to the playing group and coaches to make the rest of the model actually worth more than words. We need to re-energise the fan-base, and grow it. In Melbourne, as nearly everywhere, that means winning more than losing.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It will be a massive challenge to get cohesion at Real, last season it was all us vs them, this season it is a different problem. It could end up as two camps not talking to eachother. The ponies are the most settled team and have an upgraded 10. I think they are odds on favourites again. The Tahs and Reds are still too high in squad turnover to be consistent - both could go on a good run, but I have my doubts
I don’t think for the players it was us v them. Nothing like it was for the fans. There are also a number of the guys from both camps who have spent a fair bit of time together at the wallabies so there are established relationships. Lastly it is a chance for players from two pretty dire teams (let’s not put lipstick on a pig here regarding the force’s performances last year) to have a real chance at being in a successful side that actually might win more than it loses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Fatrpop, they do have a new narrative, everyone else in Oz rugby now hates the Rebels because they survived and cannibilised the Force, still very much an us and them mindset.
You can’t have the ‘us against them’ mantle, that’s ours. Find another one

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If the Force were so dire last season,where does it leave the other Australian teams?
6 wins from 15 games is nothing to write home about. Yes it was a massive improvement from 2015 but its not like you managed to win against a kiwi team

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
If the Force were so dire last season,where does it leave the other Australian teams?
Dire - all had a 40% or worse win ratio. Bad year all round. I am really looking forward to 2018 because I am convinced we can at least crack a 50% win ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
It must be a rainy afternoon, but here's my inexpert analysis: we tend to start strong (forget last year) , so for the first 8 games we could win 6 of them (IMO) Reds, Sunwolves, ACT, NSW, Sharkes and Jags, then the away games and the injuries and the fitness level problems kick in and I see two probable wins, ACT and Sunwolves, but the rest will be very very difficult. So with that forecast, I have 8 possible wins . and that's a wrap.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
It must be a rainy afternoon, but here's my inexpert analysis: we tend to start strong (forget last year) , so for the first 8 games we could win 6 of them (IMO) Reds, Sunwolves, ACT, NSW, Sharkes and Jags, then the away games and the injuries and the fitness level problems kick in and I see two probable wins, ACT and Sunwolves, but the rest will be very very difficult. So with that forecast, I have 8 possible wins . and that's a wrap.

as the financial institutions are often heard to say "past performance is no indicator of future returns"

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
He is dead to me. I never trusted him anyway, his eyes are too close together and I think he may have had questionable personal hygiene.

Surely you jest Proud PIG - he had one bee tattooed on each knee, you can't tell me the bees knees had questionable (its a joke fellas, chill) hygiene

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well, speaking for the Rebels - absolutely atrocious, embarrassing and incredibly frustrating. The Rebels finished 3rd in the conference in 2015 and 2016 with 7 wins. They would have topped 2017 with that performance.

Haha how sobering.

The floor for the Rebels is that combining an average team, with a below average team, leaves still an average team. The ceiling is obviously better than that.

Realistically, if we finished in the green this year it's a good thing and everyone gets ticks.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Haha how sobering.

The floor for the Rebels is that combining an average team, with a below average team, leaves still an average team. The ceiling is obviously better than that.

Realistically, if we finished in the green this year it's a good thing and everyone gets ticks.
You could argue, though that they are combining the best players from both those teams (plus some quality additions), so it could make them an above average team.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
You could also argue that the average in Australia has been atrocious so being slightly above said average might yield us a maiden win in the republic against one of their battlers and a draw at AAMI against a hot/cold Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.