• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
In light of that Cape Town incident coming out, I can tell you senior players are filthy that Mafi got away with that without any sanction whatsoever, with the Timani incident being the result. He was a law unto himself both on and off the field and a more experienced coach would have done something long before it got to this stage. Hopefully lessons are learned all round
It sounds like we might be better off without him.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Mafi was still an incredible player, considering the amount of games he played he was the best player for the Rebels all year. But if he can't keep his hands to himself then it's best he moves on.

Looking forward to Isi providing a point of difference next season, probably also means we will need the rest of the pack to step up in ball carrying workrate, something Phillip has shown he's clearly capable to do. Be nice if one of the front rowers add more in this department, especially since Uelese's fitness is in doubt.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Front row was the Achilles Heel this year and will be again in 2019 if it isn't beefed up with some new blood during the off season.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
New blood?...didn't you get 4 new props in 2018? and then just re-signed an internal developing player. I'm sure the Tahs would love to have Talakai back and the Force, Ainsley. Good luck replacing them...

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
First thing we can do is start picking Sa’aga and Big Sam as our best props. It’s been clear all year they are a class above the others atm. Getting Uelese back will be huge as well, he’s TPN style influence on a scrum, absolute beast. Ainsley is young for a prop so will get better and Faulkner isn’t a bad back up, he actually needs to put on a little more size to help his set piece. I wouldn’t say no to Slipper if he came on the cheap

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Cheika keeps picking Ainsley and not Talakai as the 4th THP behind Kepu, Thor & Ala'alatoa, and Faulkner has been in wallaby squads (and capped) when he was the 3rd choice behind Sio and Slipper, and now behind Robertson. So being the 4th best front row isn't great, but there are no bench props in any other team that would be ahead of them so bringing it new blood wouldnt achieve much. I would suggest Saaga > Faulkner very soon

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
We do have seven props on the books already for 2019, but -

Daley though is always either recovering from injury or just about to be injured.

And, as much as I hate to say it, it's going to be pretty hard for The People's Champ to get back in.

I agree with R3 - Sa'aga, Uelese, and Talakai are going to match up well against just about any other front row. It's a bloody shame we didn't see more of that combination this year.

I hope Pone Fa’amausili gets a good run in the NRC this year. In a year or two that guy could be a weapon for us.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Cheika keeps picking Ainsley and not Talakai as the 4th THP behind Kepu, Thor & Ala'alatoa, and Faulkner has been in wallaby squads (and capped) when he was the 3rd choice behind Sio and Slipper, and now behind Robertson. So being the 4th best front row isn't great, but there are no bench props in any other team that would be ahead of them so bringing it new blood wouldnt achieve much. I would suggest Saaga > Faulkner! very soon
FTFY :)

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
We do have seven props on the books already for 2019, but -

Daley though is always either recovering from injury or just about to be injured.

And, as much as I hate to say it, it's going to be pretty hard for The People's Champ to get back in.

I agree with R3 - Sa'aga, Uelese, and Talakai are going to match up well against just about any other front row. It's a bloody shame we didn't see more of that combination this year.

I hope Pone Fa’amausili gets a good run in the NRC this year. In a year or two that guy could be a weapon for us.

It would be good if he did, if we could get Fa’amausil, Uelese and Sa’aga all up and going we could have an all Victorian front row

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
In light of that Cape Town incident coming out, I can tell you senior players are filthy that Mafi got away with that without any sanction whatsoever, with the Timani incident being the result. He was a law unto himself both on and off the field and a more experienced coach would have done something long before it got to this stage. Hopefully lessons are learned all round

RL on the money again with news coming out that it was Koroibete he punched off his chair in Cape Town.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
RL's new avatar:

inside-man.jpg

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Isi any good? You bet your bottom dollar he is good.

Good news at the end of a bad news week for the Rebels.
I think he is better than Mafi in a lot of ways. At least he seems to have more tricks up his sleeve. I was bummed we didn’t get him for this season, though I reckon this was the plan all along and why he only signed one year at the Brums.

Status
Not open for further replies.