• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I also can't picture him wanting to play for Thorn with all the crap happening at Ballymore this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Like team mates bashing each other?

Reds finished just one win less than Rebels. Very strong set piece. Things a scrumhalf enjoys.

Regardless I’d prefer reds just focus on McDermott, Sorovi and Tuttle.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)

Reds finished just one win less than Rebels. Very strong set piece. Things a scrumhalf enjoys.

Ex teammate . Isn’t Genia tight with Quade seeing him not get a game is going to want to make him go back

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member

Shenanigans on both side aside, I think Thorn will want to focus on his young trio. Big theme of clearing the old guard, making way for the new guard.

Then again, Genia is a class bit of cattle. Hard to say no.

So, if was to head back to the reds, how can they afford him?

Didn’t he once say that his time at the Reds was done, and he left for a reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Shenanigans on both side aside, I think Thorn will want to focus on his young trio. Big theme of clearing the old guard, making way for the new guard.

Then again, Genia is a class bit of cattle. Hard to say no.

So, if was to head back to the reds, how can they afford him?

Didn’t he once say that his time at the Reds was done, and he left for a reason?

Ah, correct; sorta. o_O

Wallabies halfback Will Genia is comfortable with his decision to join the Melbourne Rebels on a two-year deal, but says the unfortunate timing of his return to Australian rugby spoiled his chance of a dream reunion with the Queensland Reds.

"It's just the unfortunate nature of the situation," Genia said. "I always wanted to go back and play [for Queensland], but that's just the circumstances that we were given because I did come back at such an awkward time".

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ns-with-melbourne-rebels-20170815-gxwbq6.html

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Ah, correct; sorta. o_O

Wallabies halfback Will Genia is comfortable with his decision to join the Melbourne Rebels on a two-year deal, but says the unfortunate timing of his return to Australian rugby spoiled his chance of a dream reunion with the Queensland Reds.

"It's just the unfortunate nature of the situation," Genia said. "I always wanted to go back and play [for Queensland], but that's just the circumstances that we were given because I did come back at such an awkward time".

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ns-with-melbourne-rebels-20170815-gxwbq6.html

I remember that one. I heard him say it in a TV interview, perhaps in Rebel TV.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lukhan Tui has responded on the comments “sounds like a good bye I’m moving back to QLD type of thank you (3x laughing emoji)”.

Genia has replied to that with “(3x laughing emoji)”

Probably just a case of people looking into it too much, journalist especially for someone like Genia are normally onto this stuff well before it happens. But you never know in this day and age

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
How can the afford Izzy if Hunt Cooper and Slipper all stick around?

Again, a good point. They can probably only afford one indulgence over the salary cap, so it's either Izzy or Sanchez.

I know Sanchez is a favourite son and all, but Izzy puts bums on seats.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
First one didn't make it to the media and I have to be careful what I say. Was on the tour to SA and involved a Wallaby.

And it now starts to emerge. This from the Oz

'The Melbourne Rebels have handed down the maximum penalty of $15,000 on Amanaki Mafi and Lopeti Timani, the two players involved in the incident in Dunedin on Saturday night, as new information began to emerge of Mafi being involved in another altercation in Cape Town in April.
The Rebels have confirmed there was an incident at a nightclub in Cape Town during Melbourne’s two-match South African team where he assaulted another teammate who was attempting to bring Mafi into line at a nightclub. The incident was handled in-house by team director Tony Thorpe, the former All Black team manager, who decided to attempt to counsel Mafi.'

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
In light of that Cape Town incident coming out, I can tell you senior players are filthy that Mafi got away with that without any sanction whatsoever, with the Timani incident being the result. He was a law unto himself both on and off the field and a more experienced coach would have done something long before it got to this stage. Hopefully lessons are learned all round

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
In light of that Cape Town incident coming out, I can tell you senior players are filthy that Mafi got away with that without any sanction whatsoever, with the Timani incident being the result. He was a law unto himself both on and off the field and a more experienced coach would have done something long before it got to this stage. Hopefully lessons are learned all round

Any word on Genia?? Or is it just people looking into it far too much, as we have all done a lot in the past 18months

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
.........a more experienced coach would have done something long before it got to this stage.

Thorpe has a lot of experience managing players with an ego, I think Mafi is just a guy who buys his own hype a tad too much. Anyway, if you've got Naisarani coming next year, it's a win for everyone involved that Mafi is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.